Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Minor League possible for NBA?

Old 04-01-04, 04:44 PM
Retired

Minor League possible for NBA?

There's an interview with Stern on espn.com (unfortunately it's an insider story) and the lead says he thinks it's a possibility and is going to discuss it with the Union.

I think this would be great. It would keep the young players, and others, who aren't ready/good enough for the NBA from dragging down the quality of play, and may well discourage some kids from skipping college/leaving early as most would just get minor league contracts.
Old 04-01-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought that is what the NBDL was. Or hell what HS and the NCAA have become.
Old 04-01-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree this could be great, if implemented properly. I would also like to see them place NBA minor league teams in cities without NBA teams.
Old 04-01-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Minor League possible for NBA?

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
There's an interview with Stern on espn.com (unfortunately it's an insider story) and the lead says he thinks it's a possibility and is going to discuss it with the Union.

I think this would be great. It would keep the young players, and others, who aren't ready/good enough for the NBA from dragging down the quality of play, and may well discourage some kids from skipping college/leaving early as most would just get minor league contracts.
do you really think people would rather play college basketball than minor league basketball?
Old 04-01-04, 05:12 PM
Retired

Re: Re: Minor League possible for NBA?

Originally posted by RoyalTea
do you really think people would rather play college basketball than minor league basketball?
Maybe a few would. The salaries probably wouldn't be great, so some would probably go to college for a year or two in hopes of making it right onto an NBA roster with the inherent million dollar or more salary.
Old 04-01-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see this really helping a ton, but it's not a horrible idea either. Of course the CBA or other leagues were basically that, a minor league. If you could actually just loan players out, it would work. On the other hand, how many players would actually be placed down there. I mean would the Bulls have sent Chandler and Curry there? Maybe for a half season, but probably not much more.
Old 04-01-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How many have been called up from the NBDL? Rafer Alston is the first to come to mind, eventhough his popularity came from the And1/Ruckers games.
Old 04-01-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rather than post the whole interview, here's the part of the article that talks about how the minor league would work

There's been a movement among GMs for some time to see the league turn the NBDL into something that looks more like a real minor league. Insider first wrote about the issue in January, and since then it's been gaining steam. Back in January, we talked to several prominent GMs about what they'd like to see Stern do in the next few years. The collective bargaining agreement is being renegotiated as we speak, and many GMs were against a straight 20-year-old age limit. Instead, they felt that a minor league system would address most, if not all, of the issues teams were currently facing.

Every GM Insider polled was in favor of some system that allows teams to send young players to a farm team to gain experience. While most agreed that a 29-team minor league system modeled after Major League Baseball wasn't financially feasible, a reworking of the NBDL would help solve the problem. Currently, players under NBA contract are not allowed to play in the NBDL. Many GMs support a system in which each NBDL team serves as a farm team for NBA teams.

What the GMs are looking for:

Each NBA team would send young players to a designated NBDL team, along with an assistant coach to monitor the players' development. If the league expands to 15 teams, two NBA teams would share each NBDL team.

If the player was a first-round pick, he'd continue to be paid at the rookie wage scale. If the player was a second-round pick or free agent, he would have a split contract that paid him different amounts depending on whether he was in the NBA or NBDL.

Teams retain the rights to all of their players and could recall them at any time.

The move likely would coincide with the expansion of the NBA draft to more than the current two rounds. If teams have a place to put players for whom they don't have roster spots, they could theoretically own the rights to more players. Some GMs believe such a system actually would curb the flow of young players into the league. If a teenager knew there was a chance he could be stuck in the D league for a few years, college or international play may be more appealing. Someone is going to have to pay for such a league, and you can bet Stern won't foot the bill for 15 D league teams on his own. Don't be shocked if teams were charged a yearly "participation fee" (in the millions) for the right to call up or send down players to their designated D league team.

What are the likely objections from the union? Historically, the fear has been the coaches could use the league as some sort of punishment for veterans. The players union definitely wants to limit the types of players who could be sent to the D league.
One idea would be that players with more than three years' experience under the NBA umbrella couldn't be assigned to the NBDL against their will. However a veteran coming off an injury or in a slump could ask to spend time in the D league at their choosing.

Another idea the union could push for is that teams could never send first-round picks down without the player's consent.
The union also probably would limit the amount of time a team can keep lower picks down in the NBDL without calling them up to the pros. The union is obviously in favor of increasing player movement and giving players opportunities to make the NBA with other teams, even if they can't crack the top 12 on the team that drafted them. They likely would insist a team call up a player after two or three years or lose their rights to him.
Old 04-01-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The expansion to more rounds in the draft would definitely help the idea. In fact, I guess I'd say that the idea has no chance of working without that.
Old 04-01-04, 05:53 PM
Retired

Originally posted by LurkerDan
The expansion to more rounds in the draft would definitely help the idea. In fact, I guess I'd say that the idea has no chance of working without that.
Agreed. Still it's a great idea. I'm sure many college players that go overseas would rather stay here and play in the minor league, at least until it was apparent they weren't going to get called up, then they could go overseas where they'd likely get paid more.

I think it would benefit veteran teams more . Rebuilding teams will still play their young players in the NBA, but veteran teams would be likely to send their rookies down to the minors where they'd get a ton more playing time.
Old 04-01-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the idea.. the main difference with the NDBL and CBA is that this is a farm system where teams keep the rights of the players whereas before its more like a free agent pool. Many teams will keep a player on the 12th spot so they wouldn't loose them (i.e. Jermaine O'neal with the blazers early in his career), where now they can get PT and develope.
Old 04-01-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Wasn't the draft 7 rounds about 10 years ago? And that was without a minor league!
Old 04-01-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheDude
Wasn't the draft 7 rounds about 10 years ago? And that was without a minor league!
That was more than 10 years ago. The last time it was more than 2 was 1988, and then it was only 3 (maybe 4, can't remember)
Old 04-01-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The players union will never allow this...ever.
Old 04-02-04, 01:40 AM
Banned

Minor League for Nba??? Yeah right the players are getting younger and younger each year and teams want a full bench. Soon we'll see kids getting drafted from Middle school.
Old 04-02-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grrrah
I like the idea.. the main difference with the NDBL and CBA is that this is a farm system where teams keep the rights of the players whereas before its more like a free agent pool. Many teams will keep a player on the 12th spot so they wouldn't loose them (i.e. Jermaine O'neal with the blazers early in his career), where now they can get PT and develope.
Exactly and often they make up an injury to keep 13 players. This idea has been talked about for years and years, but it's the first time I've ever heard Stern say anything about it. They should've done it with the CBA long ago. The CBA was pretty popular while the NBA was peaking.

The NCAA wouldn't like it, but I doubt it would actually lower interest in the tournament. There is too much of a gambling tradition surrounding it to turn it into the College World Series.
Old 04-02-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm definitely the other way on this one and don't like the idea. This would really not do much for the NBA, but it could devastate the college game. As RoyalTea alluded to, guys would jump up to minor league basketball to get some money and avoid any injuries in college. I really don't feel that the NBA requires as much development as other sports. You would see guys stay there for a long time, if not their entire career. I'm not sure how large the minor league contract would be(temporary pocket money or large enough to live on?), but it would be problems either way.

Look at all the successful young rookies among the years. I know some people would point to talented high school players that struggled or are struggling in the NBA their first few years(Jermaine O'Neal comes to mind as the former), but I think that's a good thing. It discourages the guys from jumping to the NBA when they're not ready. Not only would a developmental league hurt the college game, it could just end being an added cost for NBA teams since people may scoff at attending minor league basketball games. I just see very few possible good things and many potential repercussions coming out of it.