Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Joe Torre brings the funny.

Old 03-31-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joe Torre brings the funny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240331130

TOKYO (AP) -- Hideki Matsui and the New York Yankees came through for their fans.

It was the fifth time in his career that Jorge Posada homered from both sides of the plate.
Matsui rocked the Tokyo Dome with a two-run homer, Jorge Posada hit three-run shots from both sides of the plate and the Yankees calmed their jittery supporters back home by routing the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 12-1 Wednesday night.

"It was truly a happy moment for myself," Matsui said, allowing himself a rare moment of public emotion.

A day after Tampa Bay turned baseball upside down by winning the season opener 8-3, the Yankees restored the old order -- appropriate for a country tied to tradition -- in another game that started just after 5 a.m. in New York.

Kevin Brown recorded his 198th career victory in his first start for the Yankees, allowing six hits over seven innings, and Tom Gordon and Mariano Rivera finished with hitless relief.

Tony Clark, playing first base because of Jason Giambi's ailing knee, hit a tiebreaking two-run homer for the Yankees, who made sure they didn't return from Japan in last place.

Owner George Steinbrenner took the first loss calmly, saying, "It's not where you start, it's where you finish," but an 0-2 trip might have led to a different tune.

"It wouldn't be fun. In fact, I made a comment when we were down 1-0 in the first," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "I felt a little tenseness in there. I said, `Guys, what's the worst thing that can happen? We lose 162 games, big deal. We can still eat, and you're still going to get paid."

Alex Rodriguez came a few feet short of a grand slam but had another quiet night, going 0-for-5 and dropping to 1-for-9 with no RBI. Derek Jeter finally got his first hit, an RBI single, after going hitless in his first seven at-bats.......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing 162 games would send the Boss to his grave....and I'm sure he'd take Torre with him.
Old 03-31-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the funny has left this thread
Old 03-31-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, so he was trying to loosen up his team and give them perspective after a tough loss. I'm not sure I see the big deal.
Old 03-31-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THAT IS A TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE ATTITUDE. HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!
Old 03-31-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss the "Billy Martin" days... At least he was entertaining!!
Old 04-04-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He should have said: "Guys, it doesn't matter if we win or lose, there will still be plenty of Mariah Carey for the whole team."