Reload this Page >

Womens' player wins McDonalds High School All-American Slam Dunk Competition

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-30-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?id=1771877

MIDWEST CITY, Okla. -- There are moments, stunning indelible moments, that transcend sport, crumble barriers and create icons.

There's Billie Jean King beating Bobby Riggs at the Astrodome in 1973. Brandi Chastain clinching the Women's World Cup in 1999. Annika Sorenstam teeing off at the Colonial last May.

On Monday night, in a cozy high school gymnasium southeast of Oklahoma City, a 17-year-old high school senior named Candace Parker turned in the latest moment. Parker beat out five male competitors to win the Slam Dunk contest of the McDonald's High School All-American Game.

She won with aplomb, too, darting down the left side of the lane, covering her eyes with her left arm and flushing home a right-handed dunk. At 9:06 p.m. CT, Parker sparked a raucous ovation, chest bumps from her teammates and officially launched herself as the female answer to LeBron James.

Parker, who will play for Tennessee next season, stands just a shade under 6-feet-4 and can play all five positions on the floor. The first two-time winner of the Naismith National Player of the Year award, Parker already was billed as the most ballyhooed women's high school athlete ever. That's before she joined James, Carmelo Anthony and Vince Carter on the list of McDonald's Dunk Contest winners.

"I'm not surprised, she really plays at the rim," Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt said Tuesday afternoon after learning of Parker's winning performance. "Obviously, Candace is a very special player. She's going to be good for the women's game. She's the kind of individual who has a lot of charisma and personality."

Yes, Parker's performance suggests she could usher women's college basketball further into the mainstream with the sport's sexiest play -- the dunk. Only five dunks have been recorded during a women's college game, three by Tennessee's Michelle Snow. There has been only one in the WNBA, a Lisa Leslie flush in 2002.

Candace Parker became the first female to win the slam dunk contest at the McDonald's High School All-America game.
"That would be my dream," Parker said. "For 10 years from now for three or four girls entering the dunk contest and it's not a big deal."

Parker has dunked twice in high school games, the first time coming as a sophomore. She's one of two known high school women to dunk in a game. The scary part about Parker's performance Monday is that she's capable of much better.

Just weeks ago, Parker couldn't even throw down because of the lingering effects of an ACL tear last July. Parker, who led Naperville Central High School in suburban Chicago to consecutive state titles, missed the first 11 games of the past season. She still wears a sleek silver brace over her left knee, her plant leg for jumping.

This summer, before the injury, Parker could leap and do one-handed reverse dunks from under the rim and a lean-in dunk where she got above the rim and could quickly snap the ball into the basket.

But you wouldn't know that talking to Parker, who downplayed the whole night.

"It was totally unexpected," she said. "I was just trying to get out there and get one down."

Truth be told, even if she hadn't won the contest, Parker still would have caused a stir. The night's second best moment came when she tore off her red warm-up top and walked to the middle of the court to attempt her first dunk.

She strode confidently with the ball palmed in her hand like she was carrying a loaf of bread.

"She's very calm and poised," said Jennifer Azzi, a former Stanford and WNBA star who was one of the contest's eight judges. "This is a pretty big deal and she has a presence that will help her be successful."

As Parker sized up her first attempt, a stunned hush went over the crowd, the kind that precedes a giant buzz. People turned to each other and gasped, "A girl is in the dunk contest?" The crowd roared, instantly rose to its feet, and Parker jammed home two of her first three attempts to advance past the opening round.

Just landing a dunk in the contest would have been a landmark moment. Duke freshman Brittany Hunter failed to get one down in the dunk contest last year.

Parker not only bested Hunter, she beat out a few guys who are considering a leap to the NBA. Her signature flush, a replica of the one that won Dee Brown the NBA Slam Dunk contest in 1991, beat out J.R. Smith (who has signed with North Carolina), Darius Washington (Memphis) and Joe Crawford (Kentucky).

Admittedly, Crawford had a good chance to beat Parker in the end. But he couldn't stuff home his final two attempts, leaving Parker her place in history. Her male McDonald's counterparts couldn't have been happier for her, though.

"It's not every day that a girl can dunk," Washington said. "And she does it with creativity."

"That was big," added Glen "Big Baby" Davis, an LSU-bound forward. "I saw history tonight, right before my eyes."

While Parker's performance delighted her parents, it didn't come as a shock. Success is expected in the Parker family. Her father, Larry, played at Iowa, the final two years under Lute Olson. Her older brother, Anthony, was the 21st pick in the 1997 NBA draft out of Bradley, spent parts of three years in the league and now plays professionally in Israel. Her other brother, Marcus, is finishing medical school at Johns Hopkins. No surprise, Candace carries a 3.59 grade-point average.

"This is special," Larry Parker said, "but those guys keep her [grounded]. Success is relative."

Parker's success Monday dovetails perfectly with the flourishing game of women's college basketball, which for years was viewed as Connecticut, Tennessee and 300-plus other programs fighting to keep up.

But a quick peek at this year's NCAA Division I Women's Tournament shows an across-the-board upgrade in talent. A No. 13 seed, Middle Tennessee State, pulled just the third 13 vs. 4 upset in tournament history. Eleventh-seeded UC Santa Barbara reached the Sweet 16 before falling to UConn, 63-55.

Appropriately, fourth-seeded LSU clinched a spot in the Final Four about the same time Parker was hoisting her trophy from the dunk contest. Seimone Augustus, the Lady Tigers' sophomore star who scored 29 points for the second consecutive game, is the heir apparent to graduating stars Diana Taurasi of UConn and Alana Beard of Duke.

Augustus, who can dunk but has yet to in a game, will share the SEC spotlight with Parker the next two seasons.

"That's unbelievable," Augustus said of Parker. "Good for her. That's a big step for the game of women's basketball. We don't get as much publicity as the men do. Maybe this will open people's eyes. The game is changing."

Just listen to the questions Parker deflected about jumping directly from high school to the WNBA to see the change. The league has a rule that doesn't allow high school players to make the jump, but Parker hinted that she thought about challenging it.

"Being realistic, if the WNBA was going to offer her $10 million over three years, she'd look at it," said Sara Parker, Candace's mother. Larry Parker noted the salary differences between the women's and men's game. The maximum WNBA player contract is $85,000 a season.

All that said, Candace is still just a kid three weeks shy of her 18th birthday. As she answered questions at a news conference, she sparred with her mother over the location of her warm-up pants, which had gotten lost in the post-game fray.

"Put on your pants. It's cold out," Sara Parker told her daughter as she left the building.

Candace issued a typical teenage sigh and walked out into a sea of autograph seekers. They were old and young. Men and women. Black and white.

"Candace, just sign this one thing."

"Candace, I've been waiting here all night."

"Candace, you da man."

No, but she proved she can hang with them -- and from the rim, too.
Some former winners of the slam dunk competition:

LeBron James (2003)
Carmelo Anthony (2002)
DeShawn Stevenson (2000)
Ronald Curry (1998)
Baron Davis (1997)
Vince Carter (1995)
Jerry Stackhouse (1993)
Old 03-30-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Women play basketball?
Old 03-30-04, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Pics?
Old 03-30-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Excellent. Can we dump Title IX now?
Old 03-30-04, 04:08 PM

That's all well and good, but she should spend less time playing basketball and more time in the kitchen making me a pie.
Old 03-30-04, 04:12 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Red Dog
Excellent. Can we dump Title IX now?
Really.

Did anyone see this? I wonder if she really had the best dunks, or just got extra points for being a girl.
Old 03-30-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Cow
Pics?

To be fair, girls have been competing for the past few years, but she's the first to win. So it wasn't necessarily just because she was a girl that she won.

And I still don't care about womens' basketball. Just thought this was interesting.
Old 03-30-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Really.

Did anyone see this? I wonder if she really had the best dunks, or just got extra points for being a girl.
Those were my exact thoughts. How can this be compared to BJK winning a tennis match. The match isn't decided by judges. But this dunk contest was. I smell conspiracy.
Old 03-30-04, 04:25 PM
Retired

I don't think it's a conspiracy. But it's something that plays on the judges mind.

Kind of like shorter players getting higher scores for dunks than the taller guys would get if they did the same dunk.
Old 03-30-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shebron
Old 03-30-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
I wonder if there's a chance of her skipping college and heading straight into the WNBA to beat all of that European and Chinese women's talent that's sure to dominate this years' draft.
Old 03-30-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a little disappointed, but not at all surprised, that everyone who has posted so far has some nitpick or negative comment or joke to make, rather than how cool this is for her.

I think it's ****ing great! Awesome job, Candace!
Old 03-30-04, 04:55 PM
Suspended

I gotta see it to believe it. Any clips?
Old 03-30-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool
I gotta see it to believe it. Any clips?
Candace Parker's history-making victory in the 2004 Powerade Jam Fest will be aired Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.

I gotta see it too. It's impressive that she can dunk at all at 6'4", but they didn't describe her doing anything spectacular other than covering her eyes. That's what makes me wonder if the judges were being a little biased. If she pulled out some crazy 360 move I would think they'd mention it in the article. I've never seen the McDonalds high school dunk contest before, but I gotta think there's at least one or two seniors each year that are doing some pretty high flying stunts.

She must've at least looked like she belonged in the contest regardless to win the thing though

Last edited by Roto; 03-30-04 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-30-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I heard from someone who was there that she was good, but not as impressive as the men though.

From what I heard, she shouldn't have made it out of the first round, but in the second round most of the men missed so she was able to win.

Today at school, Larry Bird was watching the McD's kids practice with Danny Ainge. I thought it was kindof cool.
Old 03-30-04, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Roto
It's impressive that she can dunk at all at 6'4", ...
Male or Female, I don't find it impressive at all that a 6'4" person can dunk.
Old 03-30-04, 08:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus

SheBron? Is that a track on William Hung's CD?
Old 03-30-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This summer, before the injury, Parker could leap and do one-handed reverse dunks from under the rim and a lean-in dunk where she got above the rim and could quickly snap the ball into the basket.
I think it is impressive for a girl to dunk, just b/c only like 0.1% of all women bball players can dunk.

However, I don't think you'll ever see a woman fly through the lane and two-hand dunk over everyone. Genetics, can't fight it.
Old 03-30-04, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Roto
Candace Parker's history-making victory in the 2004 Powerade Jam Fest will be aired Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.
Thanks
Old 03-30-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bah. Dunk contests need to have cumpulsories so shit like this doesn't happen.

Must do the required: Windmill Jam, 360, 2 handed reverse.
Old 03-30-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Parker has dunked twice in high school games..."

Showoff.
Old 03-30-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, her being under 64 and being able to dunk is quite an accomplishment. Many people think that if you are 6 feet and taller that you SHOULD be dunking but in actuality, you have to be around 65 or 66 to be deemed as one who should be dunking. I play basketball quite often and can dunk (im about 63 or 64) but many my height and a few taller cant dunk. If you look at the NBA ballers many who are under 63 dont dunk ever (some of them CAN do it but not consistantly enough to do it in a game). Take for example players like Chauncey Billups,Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, and Derek Fisher, al very athletic but dont dunk in games. As far as the dunk she did, I doubt I can do it so its impressive to me. Her winning was probably unfair as you should be judge on skills and not gender+skills. However, in contests as subjective as dunk contests she probably would and should get added credit being a girl.
Old 03-30-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Womens' player wins McDonalds High School All-American Slam Dunk Competition

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Parker sparked a raucous ovation, chest bumps from her teammates
Yeah, I bet.

She only dunked twice in high school games and won the dunk contest? She couldn't possibly have won because she was a girl. Is it nice to see a girl dunk? Sure. But don't give her an award just because of her gender. I need to see some video footage. I guess that picture is of the winning dunk? She's barely getting over the rim with one hand.
Old 03-30-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Normally the Mcdonald's all-American dunk contest is pretty good, so there should be some talented people in there. still, I'm pretty skeptical of it all. A woman dunking is impressive in that few can do it. But I've seen Lisa Leslie dunk and so forth, and it's not much when compared to a normal dunk from pretty much any NBAer.

Hell, I can dunk, just not very well. And for a woman to do anything even in the realm of most high school all-star, I'd have to see it to believe it.
Old 03-30-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Womens' player wins McDonalds High School All-American Slam Dunk Competition

Originally posted by monkeyboy
Yeah, I bet.

She only dunked twice in high school games and won the dunk contest? She couldn't possibly have won because she was a girl. Is it nice to see a girl dunk? Sure. But don't give her an award just because of her gender. I need to see some video footage. I guess that picture is of the winning dunk? She's barely getting over the rim with one hand.
Her dunks in the contest had no authority.

The sports guys on the radio here thought it was a sham.

Like I said in my earlier post, from what I heard from guys on the radio who went, she should have lost in the first round. After she made it to the second round, it wasn't as bad because the guys were missing her dunks.

Here is what her dunks looked like

Spoiler:
One of her dunks was a plain vanilla dunk with no authority.

Another of her dunks was where she started from the baseline, ran toward the goal and while she was still on the ground brought the ball around behind her back... then she jumped and did pretty much a regular dunk with no authority

The third dunk was kind of like Dee Brown's dunk

Last edited by Applejack; 03-30-04 at 11:41 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.