Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bill Duffy

Old 03-29-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bill Duffy

Anyone see that piece on Mario Austin 3/28-3/29 on SportsCenter? Bill Duffy (arguably the #2 agent in the NBA) convinced him to play in Russia for slightly more money than he could have gotten domestically and he suffered a collapsed lung. This loser agent is the same guy who forgot to accept an extension for Stephen Jackson by a deadline for like $3 million with San Antonio so he ends up signing with Atlanta for the minimum. This guy is also the reason Yao Ming took so long to get to the NBA because he screwed up the negotiations with China so bad and wouldn't release him when government officials wanted somebody else representing him. How does this guy get all these clients?
Old 03-29-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he has a small commission.

But apparently, he is considered a very powerful sports agent almost along the lines of David Falk.

That sucked about Mario Austin's story and something seems very fishy about it. But I'm not sure who's lying
Old 03-29-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Bill Duffy

Originally posted by cleaver
This loser agent is the same guy who forgot to accept an extension for Stephen Jackson by a deadline for like $3 million with San Antonio so he ends up signing with Atlanta for the minimum.
so at least he did something right

Old 03-29-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Bill Duffy

Originally posted by twikoff
so at least he did something right

Assuming you're an Atlanta fan, his play is keeping Dwight Howard off Atlanta next year.
Old 03-29-04, 07:55 PM

I just saw this story, and I thought Duffy was just another slimey agent, until Paxon came on and confirmed what Duffy said. They need to check the phone records to confirm whether there was a conference call or not. That way we'll know who's lying.
Old 03-29-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Lenny
I just saw this story, and I thought Duffy was just another slimey agent, until Paxon came on and confirmed what Duffy said. They need to check the phone records to confirm whether there was a conference call or not. That way we'll know who's lying.
Maybe Duffy fooled Paxon by having someone pretend to be Austin during this conference call?