Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Bonds to launch barrybonds.com and become fan friendly

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bonds to launch barrybonds.com and become fan friendly

Old 03-27-04, 08:27 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
Bonds to launch barrybonds.com and become fan friendly

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1769227

San Francisco Giants: Barry Bonds will launch a Web site -- barrybonds.com -- to the public perhaps as soon as April.


Bonds says he plans to answer fan questions on a weekly basis once the season is under way.


"They will be able to chat with me, ask me how my week is going, make comments on what they feel," Bonds told the Contra Costa Times. "If you want to interact with me, you're going to have that opportunity on my Web page.


"I want people to have the opportunity to see what I'm doing," Bonds said. "People say they don't know me. They'll get the opportunity to know me now."


Bonds also plans to sell authentic memorabilia, including T-shirts and jerseys with both his and his godfather Willie Mays' likenesses on them. With two more home runs, Bonds will tie Mays' mark of 660.
twikoff is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 08:41 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694


I find the timing of this rather humorous.
the aftermath is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 08:51 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
regardless of what people think of barry.. I think its a great idea.. and dont understand why any of the other marquee players dont do something like this to make themselves more accessible

of course.. i can just imagine the chat sessions now
they better have plenty of moderators
twikoff is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 09:03 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694
It is a great idea, definitely. However, it's also a pretty obvious smoke screen but hopefully that's not all it is. for trying.
the aftermath is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 09:09 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bill Geiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 12,918
Soon after opening, there is sure to be a note stating:

"Due to the popularity of barrybonds.com, Barry will not be able to answer all questions submitted."
Bill Geiger is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 09:58 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
barry bonds is joining serenawilliams.com and venuswilliams.com

maybe this will become a trend

anyone else know any other players "Official" websites, that the players are actually associated with
twikoff is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 10:15 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,068
www.terrellowens.com

birrman54
Birrman54 is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 10:54 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,838
He could save 100 children from a burning building and he'd still be an *******.
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 12:37 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
I still think it's funny that he's listed as "San Francisco OF" on ESPN because he won't join the players association.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 12:51 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,838
Originally posted by El Scorcho
I still think it's funny that he's listed as "San Francisco OF" on ESPN because he won't join the players association.
Yeah. Who'd want to draft that outfield? They suck!
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 01:09 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
I can't wait for the "$25 of $150 at barrybonds.com pharmacy" coupons in Hot Deals!
Y2K Falcon is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 01:19 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
DarkElf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 18,277
Originally posted by twikoff
regardless of what people think of barry.. I think its a great idea.. and dont understand why any of the other marquee players dont do something like this to make themselves more accessible
I fully expect that the CBA prohibited players in the union from doing this. MLB is aggressive with controlling the marketing of it's teams and players.
DarkElf is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 01:26 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
He could save 100 children from a burning building and he'd still be an *******.
I don't think it's fair that people judge someone they don't know. Look at Kobe, he looked like a saint a year ago. Now he looks like a lying, cheating jerk. You never know.
the aftermath is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 01:31 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,838
Originally posted by the aftermath
I don't think it's fair that people judge someone they don't know. Look at Kobe, he looked like a saint a year ago. Now he looks like a lying, cheating jerk. You never know.
So it's the fans fault that Barry Bonds comes off as a jerk? Hardly.
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 01:51 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Barry Bonds could hire 7 full time hot chicks to administer handjobs and blowjobs to Deftones (one for each day of the week) and he still would think Barry's a dick.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 01:55 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,181
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Barry Bonds could hire 7 full time hot chicks to administer handjobs and blowjobs to Deftones (one for each day of the week) and he still would think Barry's a dick.
Bacon is online now  
Old 03-27-04, 04:15 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
So it's the fans fault that Barry Bonds comes off as a jerk? Hardly.
Maybe a little arrogant, but as a jerk? I don't see it.
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Barry Bonds could hire 7 full time hot chicks to administer handjobs and blowjobs to Deftones (one for each day of the week) and he still would think Barry's a dick.
That pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by the aftermath; 03-27-04 at 04:25 PM.
the aftermath is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:16 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,838
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Barry Bonds could hire 7 full time hot chicks to administer handjobs and blowjobs to Deftones (one for each day of the week) and he still would think Barry's a dick.
Yes, he would be. For hiring prostitutes.

Originally posted by the aftermath
Maybe a little arrogant, but as a jerk? I don't see it.
Of course you don't see it. You are a biased Giants fan. At least some of the Giants fans here can see him for what he really is.
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:32 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Of course you don't see it. You are a biased Giants fan. At least some of the Giants fans here can see him for what he really is.
I never said Bonds was the greatest guy on earth did I? You make him seem like scum of the earth, when there are plenty of athletes much worse than him (*cough, KOBE*)

And you're a biased Dbacks fan, so of course your opinion is tainted.

Last edited by the aftermath; 03-27-04 at 05:35 PM.
the aftermath is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:34 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Bonds' greatest crime (assuming there's no steroid abuse) is treating obnoxious reporters like the jerkoffs most of them are. Ooo ... what a horrible person. There are so many really bad people in sports that it amazes me how much people obsess over Bonds.

das
das Monkey is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:39 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
For the record, I hated Kobe a year ago as well.
Y2K Falcon is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:40 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,838
Originally posted by the aftermath
I never said Bonds was the greatest guy on earth did I? You make him seem like scum of the earth, when there are plenty of athletes much worse than him (*cough, KOBE*)

And you're a biased Dbacks fan, so of course your opinion is tainted.
See, that's where you are wrong. I can admit it when guys on my team are *******s.

I never said Bonds was a rapist or the like. I said he was an *******.

As for my opinion being tainted, then every other baseball fan has a tainted opinion as well.

Bonds is a jerk to the media, rude to fans and shows no hustle on the field. That's pretty much the epitome of a jerk.
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:41 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,838
Originally posted by das Monkey
Bonds' greatest crime (assuming there's no steroid abuse) is treating obnoxious reporters like the jerkoffs most of them are. Ooo ... what a horrible person. There are so many really bad people in sports that it amazes me how much people obsess over Bonds.
There are bad people in any walk of life.

Bonds is a big target because he makes himself one. If he would be a bit more fan friendly and show some hustle, maybe he'd win over a few more fans.
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:42 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In my mind.
Posts: 7,694
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
See, that's where you are wrong. I can admit it when guys on my team are *******s.

Bonds is a jerk to the media, rude to fans and shows no hustle on the field. That's pretty much the epitome of a jerk.
Well, since you've met Bonds and know him so well, I suppose you're right.

And lack of hustle makes him a jerk?
the aftermath is offline  
Old 03-27-04, 05:44 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,838
Originally posted by the aftermath
And lack of hustle makes him a jerk?
Absolutely. That's lack of respect for the game.
Deftones is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.