Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Does Griffey Jr. belong in the Hall?

Old 03-25-04, 05:33 PM
Suspended

Does Griffey Jr. belong in the Hall?

There was a story done on SportsCenter either today or yesterday about Griffey and his continued injuries. One of the last questions that was asked of him was, "Do you belong in the Hall of Fame." (or something to that affect)

I questioned whether or not he should be until I started hearing some of his stats they threw out, specifically his home run stats and how fast he reached some homerun milestones.

I still can't decide, though.

Anybody got an argument?
Old 03-25-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If he had a career ending injury today? Yes, he not only belongs there, he'd probably get in pretty easily. He's only about 20 homeruns away from 500, which up until just these last few years was considered a free pass into the Hall. At 34 or however old he is now I still think he will get to 600 without a problem even if he has a few more injuries.

He also had somewhere around a dozen consecutive gold gloves at centerfield. He may have the record, I'm not sure, but he's up there.
Old 03-25-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No f'ing way if his career ended today.
Old 03-25-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still pissed off that some Cowboys didn't make it into the NFL Hall a few months back.

If this is decided by the so called "experts" then who knows if he will get in. Personally, he is a recognizable name even to the laymen and therefore should go into the hall. I know that sounds bad, but if you put a bunch of no-names into the Hall how many people would go to visit?
Old 03-25-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

after dominating an entire decade
of course, no doubt about it
Old 03-25-04, 05:55 PM

I'd put him in if his career ended today. He was a brilliant player throughout the entire 90s, both on offense and on defense. I don't think that he would be a first ballot selection though.

Even right now, he's a decent player when healthy, so I think he'll be a shoo-in once his career ends.
Old 03-25-04, 06:43 PM

He doesn't have the longevity (yet), but he was a pretty amazing player throughout the entire 90s, so that was a nice long run, and I think that will be enough. Plus, people just like Griffey (as opposed to someone like, oh, Canseco), and that will help too.

But I don't think he's done by any means, and though he will probably never hit like he did before, he will still have a few more good seasons, and that will be enough to make him a lock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, here are Griffey's Top 10 comps of similar batters (*=HOFer):

* Duke Snider
Sammy Sosa
Juan Gonzalez
Gary Sheffield
Jose Canseco
Jeff Bagwell
* Willie Stargell
Ellis Burks
Frank Thomas
Larry Walker

And using some Bill James stuff that measures how likely they are to make the HOF, not how deserving:

Black Ink: Batting - 26 (Average HOFer ~ 27)
Gray Ink: Batting - 153 (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 49.3 (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 191.5 (Likely HOFer > 100)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, I think Griffey should be moved out of CF to either a corner spot, or he should start taking grounders at 1B. He certainly doesn't have the same range now as he did during gold glove days, and the injury risk is just too great.

Or maybe just take a lesson from Nevin and stop diving for balls.

Last edited by DarkElf; 03-25-04 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-25-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see Griffey get 500 HRs before I would say he truly deserves to be there. Would he get in if his career ended today? Probably. I'm just not sure he'd belong there.

He's been mostly healthy for 12 of his 15 seasons and he was very good for 10 of those. That's pretty good, but I'd like to see my HOFs contribute a little more... particularly since his teams never won anything.

Mordred
Old 03-25-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarkElf
And using some Bill James stuff that measures how likely they are to make the HOF, not how deserving:

Black Ink: Batting - 26 (Average HOFer ~ 27)
Gray Ink: Batting - 153 (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 49.3 (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 191.5 (Likely HOFer > 100)
I was looking at baseball reference as I wrote my reply too

I've noticed that a lot of people I don't think really deserve it batting wise do really well in the Gray Ink and HOF Monitor standards. It seems to me that the veterans's picks and the Negro league picks have skewed those numbers considerably down. Or maybe it was just a ton easier to get into the HOF back then when not everybody was juiced
Old 03-25-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

does barry sanders belong in the hall?
Old 03-25-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
does barry sanders belong in the hall?
Not sure if this was directed at me, but yes he does. Of course the longevity of a baseball player and football player are different. Sanders quit early but he was easily one of the best ever. When Griffey started it looked like he would be one of the best ever as well... instead I feel he was just very good. If Griffey retired one solid season away from breaking the HR or Hits record he would deserve to be in the hall no question as well.
Old 03-25-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread is laughable.

If you think Griffey should not be hall-worthy, then you most likely think that Koufax shouldn't be in the hall either.
Old 03-25-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by El Scorcho

kindof my thought
Old 03-25-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you think Griffey should not be hall-worthy, then you most likely think that Koufax shouldn't be in the hall either.
Don't get me started on Koufax!
Old 03-25-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I must protest.

Neither Griffey or Koufax belong in the Hall. Not until they let Rosie and her wife in for that stunning League of Their Own performance.
Old 03-25-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
kindof my thought
mine too...

Wasn't he on the All-Time team that they had? How does a guy make that team and NOT make the HoF?

When a guy is considered the best player in the game for an entire decade (with all apologies to Bonds), that's hard to refute...
Old 03-25-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Griffey's case is even stronger than Koufax's. Grif is a no-brainer for the Hall. The most dominant offensive player over the course of a decade. A 5-tool player to boot.

Greatest power hitter I have ever seen in person.
Old 03-25-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
A 5-tool player to boot.
What 5 tools?

Run... catch... throw... bat skill... power...?
Old 03-25-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
What 5 tools?

Run... catch... throw... bat skill... power...?

Yep. Bat skill = BA.
Old 03-25-04, 08:58 PM
Cool New Member

I fully believe that Griffey Jr. belongs in the Hall, whether his career ended today or he played medicore ball for another 5-10 seasons. But let me ask you this someone said Griffey was the best player of the 90's, many people consider Jack Morris to be the best pitcher of the 80's, and when he was eligible for the Hall, he didn't get anywhere near the votes required and probably never will. Now I don't neccesarily agree he was the best pitcher of the 80's but there is no question that he was damn good.
Old 03-25-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was the best player in the league for a decade. He's in. This is silly to even question.
Old 03-25-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you think we'll ever have a 500-HR guy who will *not* make it in? It's hard to imagine now but I can see it happening, especially with the small parks and shitty pitching these days.
Old 03-25-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think we'll ever have a 500-HR guy who will *not* make it in? It's hard to imagine now but I can see it happening, especially with the small parks and shitty pitching these days.
McGriff's 9 away. Even if he gets to 500, he'd probably be the first 500 HR hitter not to get in.
Old 03-25-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno man, the hall does everything but show up to the stadium on the 500th home run to give a personal invite when a player reaches that plateau.
Old 03-25-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno man, the hall does everything but show up to the stadium on the 500th home run to give a personal invite when a player reaches that plateau.

Those days may be over.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.