Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Roy Jones Jr. Named New HBO Commentator

Old 03-23-04, 06:11 PM

Roy Jones Jr. Named New HBO Commentator

http://sports.excite.com/news/03232004/v9421.html

Mar 23, 4:24 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Roy Jones Jr. has a new job to keep himself busy between fights.
Jones will replace George Foreman as the expert boxing commentator on HBO, agreeing to a multiyear contract with the network.

The 35-year-old Jones, who fights Antonio Tarver on May 15, will begin his duties on an April 10 card featuring welterweights Cory Spinks and Zab Judah and heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko.

Jones, who has done some commentary for the network, will take over for Foreman, who did his last fight for HBO last month.

"This is a showcase job," Jones said.

Jones will sit ringside for HBO's World Championship Boxing series and the network's pay-per-view fights, assuming he is not fighting in them.

Jones, who holds the light heavyweight title, said he planned to continue fighting.

Well this will be an improvement, because I couldn't stand George Foreman's commentary. Even though George had a boxers perspective, he didn't seem to deal in reality when watching the fights in front of him.

Emmanuel Stewart is still my favorite though. Even though he is still a little unsure in front of the camera, every thing that comes out of his mouth, rings true and doesn't seem biased.

Roy just needs a little help with his verbal skills, but as a commentator with boxing experience, he has the credentials. Hopefully though, he will fight a couple of more fights against the top names to cement his legacy as one of the best fighters in the last 10 years (regardless of the talent that he has faced).

Chris
Old 03-23-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Roy Jones Jr. Named New HBO Commentator

I remember hearing Jones do commentary for the first time during the De La Hoya/Ruelas ppv show. Thought he did a great job there and couldn't actually wait to hear more. But it wasn't untill a few "Boxing After Dark" shows (Most notably during Barerra/Mckinney and Tszyu/Phillips) that he began to show too much favoritism for the fighters that he wanted to win. So I wasn't sad to see him take off from telecasts around '99 or so.

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Emmanuel Stewart is still my favorite though. Even though he is still a little unsure in front of the camera, every thing that comes out of his mouth, rings true and doesn't seem biased.
Does this mean Manny's gone? Dang, I hope not. I really liked his no-nonsense,honest style. Besides with Lewis gone, who does he got left to train to keep him away from commentating? Keep Manny, HBO!
Old 03-23-04, 07:04 PM

Re: Re: Roy Jones Jr. Named New HBO Commentator

Originally posted by Mondo Kane

Does this mean Manny's gone? Dang, I hope not. I really liked his no-nonsense,honest style. Besides with Lewis gone, who does he got left to train to keep him away from commentating? Keep Manny, HBO!
I think Manny will still do Boxing After Dark and the non-title fights, so I don't think he's going anywhere.

Chris
Old 03-23-04, 07:21 PM

Mike Tyson should of been the New HBO Commentator
Old 03-24-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, I wish they would have keep Manny on WCB. He is really good at commentating. Roy was pretty Meh, back when he did BOD.
Old 03-24-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Will the drunken Harold Letterman remain?

"HA HA! OK JIM, I GOT IT 112-110, 12 rounds to 10, ROY JONES!"
Old 03-24-04, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by monkeyboy

"HA HA! OK JIM, I GOT IT 112-110, 12 rounds to 10, ROY JONES!"
But he's usually pretty accurate with his scoring. Usually better than the 3 official judges.

Chris
Old 03-24-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mrpayroll
But he's usually pretty accurate with his scoring. Usually better than the 3 official judges.

Chris
Yeah, I like him. I just wonder what he's always so damn happy about. It's like someone's down there tickling him.
Old 03-24-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Letterman's got nothing on Larry Merchant. That guy's absolutely s*itfaced everytime I see him.
Old 03-24-04, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by wabio
Letterman's got nothing on Larry Merchant. That guy's absolutely s*itfaced everytime I see him.
During the boxing match telecasts?

Chris
Old 03-24-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's like someone's down there tickling him.
Old 03-26-04, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love RJ ... especially when he gets all hyped and rapid-fire speech and stuff ... and they give him the mike too.

PEN-SA-COLA!!!

Love it.