Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Trading cards

Old 03-23-04, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trading cards

Ok, i saw this guy on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2965
If you check his other auctions he has dozens of packs that are guaranteed to have some hard to find chase card in them (jersey,autograph etc) He has high feedback but from what i can see all the auctions he's tried in the past (i'm not going to look at all of them) for guaranteed packs are pretty much sold to the same person. If he is legit, how is he able to guarantee an autograph card and such.. I just bought a pack of those cards on that auction and got one of those flag cards but it's the EXACT same size as the other cards.. how is he able to tell there is one in there

thanks for reading
Old 03-23-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk God

poor job of packaging/sequencing by the manufacturer make it where they know how many to count down from the top of the box or in what order the specific packs are in

back in the day.. i had friends that would buy a box of baseball cards and keep a record as he opened each pack of what he got (speciality and big name, not everything).. so he could compare with the next box he opens

so manufacturers were bad about not being very random
Old 03-24-04, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen people at Target weighing packs because the packs with the inserts and stuff are always a little heavier I guess.
Old 03-25-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by vdadlani219
I've seen people at Target weighing packs because the packs with the inserts and stuff are always a little heavier I guess.
I suppose now with Jersey cards and such its kinda easy to tell with the weight of the pack.
Old 03-25-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there are several methods to pick packs; weight, general feel, thickness, softspots, wrapper variations.

each brand or box has it's own thing to it, once you nail it down (if given a little time by the unsuspecting cashier) then it's pretty easy.
Old 03-25-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember that the third pack down on the top left stack in '91 UD Baseball cards resulted in the SP for either the High or the Low series.

Collecting cards in years past, good times.
Old 03-25-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first year Skybox came out with basketball cards, the cards were put in the exact same order in each box. I had loads and loads of DRobs, Tim Hardaways, Michael Jordans and Shawn Kemps.
Old 03-26-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I havn't been weighing them but i've gotten a hell of alot of jersey/autograph cards recently. There's too many jersey/autograph inserts nowadays so they aren't worth crap lol
Old 03-26-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the idea of jersey cards. Its nice to have a used jersey card of your favorite player.
Old 03-26-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
I like the idea of jersey cards. Its nice to have a used jersey card of your favorite player.
I am more a fan of HOF jersey cards where there is true scarcity. With modern/current players, teh numebr of cards on the market is way too high... But nothing can top the feeling of getting a Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio jersey or autograph card....
Old 07-29-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a sportscard feature on the frontpage of ESPN right now
Old 07-29-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

i noticed that sportscard feature on the frontpage at espn.com and figured thats why this thread had been started

so I open it.. and start reading.. and tried to figure out how i had already replied

holy thread bump!
Old 07-29-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wlmowery
I am more a fan of HOF jersey cards where there is true scarcity.
Yeah, I am too, but I really cringed when Donruss payed like $300K for that beautiful Ruth jersey and cut it to shit, into over 2,000 pieces. Fuck, man.

Edit: Whoa, I didn't even notice the bump!
Old 07-29-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought most card companies battled these "tricks" by inserting a larger piece of cardboard in every pack (the same size of a game worn card). If you didn't get the insert, you would simply get a bigger sized card advertising the brand.

I don't know, it's been a couple years since I stopped collecting. I just don't see the value in them anymore, especially considering jersey/autograph cards are a dime a dozen nowadays.
Old 07-29-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like that jersey cards and autographs a dime a dozen. Of course, I wouldnt buy a pack, but I have a few Patriots jersey cards and I havent spent more than $15 on any of them. Its a good small piece of memorabelia.
Old 07-30-06, 12:57 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
back in the day.. i had friends that would buy a box of baseball cards and keep a record as he opened each pack of what he got (speciality and big name, not everything).. so he could compare with the next box he opens

My friend and I did that with Topps Stadium Club the year Shaq was a rookie. The boxes were hard to find and like $60 a piece so we managed to figure which packs had the Shaq rookies, we'd take the packs with Shaq rookies and sell the rest.
Old 07-30-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How about the Dwayne Wade Auto Patch Rookie /3.

Wade

Hmmm buy a card, or buy a house. I love how he charges $800 for shipping. This card might be overpriced but a Lebron James card from the same set did sell for about 250-300K. That was a legit documented sale.

The packs that the card comes out of retails for about $500 a pop and the higher end rookies of James, Wade, etc usually sell for about 15K. That's for a card numbered out of 99