Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Kalas and NFL films. Who'll replace that voice?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-22-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't ask me what made me think of this. I saw Harry in an interview the other day and thought, wow he couldn't have many years left. I guess I grew up in the age where I recognize his voice with NFL Films. It's going to be hard to find a signature voice like that again.

oops: Mod move this to Sports please.
Old 03-22-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like that guy's voice. Is he retiring soon? His best quote was from the new Patriots Superbowl DVD. "The loss dropped the Patriots to 2-2. They would not lose again."
Old 03-22-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea his voice is so unique. Actually it really doesn't "fit" what he looks like. You know how some people have a really odd voice but look even more odd.
Old 03-22-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great voice. That guy is the best. No one says "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" quite like he does.

He's also the voice of the Phillies and has been for years.

Chris...do you remember Johnny Most broadcasting the old Celtics' games? Now there was a voice.
Old 03-22-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Abranut

Chris...do you remember Johnny Most broadcasting the old Celtics' games? Now there was a voice.
I never really followed the Celtics. When did he broadcast? Ive heard numerous Celtic clips and I could probably remember him if I knew what era he did. Was he the "Havilcheck stole the ball!" guy?
Old 03-22-04, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Abranut
Great voice. That guy is the best. No one says "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" quite like he does.
Thought it was John Facenda that made that famous

(Facenda is the one I remember most from the NFL Films)

Last edited by The Cow; 03-22-04 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-23-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd go with Jefferson Kaye....but you can be the judge:

http://www.wma.com/0/vo/promos/nfl_films/
Old 03-23-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Cow

I was going to say the same thing...except adding "the Late" John Facenda to his name

I think Kalas is more known for doing Inside the NFL on HBO as much as anything...but their voices are easily confused as you can tell from that link i posted above....

Last edited by HistoryProf; 03-23-04 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-23-04, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know John started it so thats why I mentioned the era when I grew up and why I'm associated to Harry. I guess that makes me biased but I'm sure they were all great. NFL Films is a great great company and the stuff they produce is excellent.
Old 03-23-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by The Cow

You are correct. I too remember him most from NFL Films. I guess we're old school.
Old 03-23-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harry Kalas always reminds me of summer, sitting out by the pool listening to phillies games. I still miss rich ashburn though.
I am sure there is some announcer with a great unique voice to carry on the facenda/kalas nfl films, and people of that generation will just associate nfl films with that voice. Like I think of Kalas, my dad facenda.
Old 03-23-04, 10:15 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It seems that they're already grooming his replacement.

Old 03-23-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
I never really followed the Celtics. When did he broadcast? Ive heard numerous Celtic clips and I could probably remember him if I knew what era he did. Was he the "Havilcheck stole the ball!" guy?
"And there's a steal by Bird..."
Old 03-23-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - just think of what a guy's voice would sound like after chain-smoking 4 packs of cigarettes and you have Johnny Most.
Old 04-13-09, 02:40 PM

Re: Harry Kalas and NFL films. Who'll replace that voice?

Unfortunately, now it's the late Harry Kalas too.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/sport...alas-Dies.html
Old 04-13-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Just saw it on the WP front page. Sad news.
Old 04-13-09, 03:02 PM
Banned

WASHINGTON -- Longtime Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas, who punctuated innumerable home runs with his "Outta here!" call, died Monday after being found passed out in the broadcast booth before a game against the Washington Nationals. He was 73.

"We lost our voice today," team president David Montgomery said, his voice cracking. "He has loved our game and made just a tremendous contribution to our sport and certainly to our organization."

Kalas was discovered by the Phillies director of broadcasting about 12:30 p.m. and taken to a local hospital, Montgomery said.

Soundtrack to Kalas' career

Over time, Harry Kalas evolved into one of Philadelphia's beloved sports figures. Some of the more memorable notes in his illustrious broadcasting career:
• Six no-hitters
• Mike Schmidt's 500th home run on April 18, 1987
• Every one of Steve Carlton's starts from 1972-86
• Pete Rose's 3,631st career hit on Aug. 10, 1981 (which broke Stan Musial's NL record)
• First game at the Houston Astrodome, April 12, 1965
• First game at Veterans Stadium, April 10, 1971
• First game at Citizens Bank Park, April 12, 2004
• Was in his 43rd year as a MLB broadcaster
• Phillies broadcaster since 1971; member of original Astros broadcast team in 1965
• Inducted into the broadcaster's wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002
• Named Pennsylvania Sportscaster of the year 18 times

Kalas had surgery earlier this year for an undisclosed ailment that the team characterized as minor. He looked somewhat drawn last week as the Phillies opened the season at home.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was a member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team from 1965-70.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

"Players come and go, but 'Outta here!' -- that's forever," said Scott Franzke, a Phillies radio broadcaster.

Kalas lent his sonorous voice to everything from puppies to soup. He did work for NFL Films, was the voice for Chunky Soup commercials and Animal Planet's annual tongue-in-cheek Super Bowl competitor, the Puppy Bowl.

Kalas joined the Phillies radio and TV broadcast team the year the club moved into its former home, Veterans Stadium, replacing fan favorite Bill Campbell.

He wasn't immediately embraced by Phillies fans, despite being paired with Richie Ashburn, a Hall of Famer as a player, and longtime announcer.

But Kalas evolved into a beloved sports figure in Philadelphia. He and Ashburn grew into a popular team, and shared the booth until Ashburn's death in 1997.

"Major League Baseball has lost one of the great voices of our generation," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "Baseball announcers have a special bond with their audience, and Harry represented the best of baseball not only to the fans of the Phillies, but to fans everywhere."

Kalas fell in love with baseball at a young age, when his father took him to Comiskey Park to see the Chicago White Sox play the Washington Senators. It was a rainy night, and Kalas sat with his dad behind the Washington dugout.

"Because of the rains, the field was covered," he told The Associated Press. "There was no batting practice, so the players really didn't have anything to do. Mickey Vernon popped out of the dugout, saw this wide-eyed kid -- me -- picked me up, took me in the dugout, gave me a baseball, introduced me to his teammates, and thus began my love of baseball and the Washington Senators."

He maintained that enthusiasm for the game throughout his career.

The son of a Methodist minister, the Naperville, Ill., native graduated from the University of Iowa in 1959 with a degree in speech, radio and television. He was drafted into the Army soon after he graduated.

In 1961, he became sports director at Hawaii radio station KGU and also broadcast games for the Hawaii Islanders of the Pacific Coast League and the University of Hawaii.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4064793
Old 04-13-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harry's really going to be missed. It will never be the same listening to a Phillies radio broadcast without him.

Last edited by wildcatlh; 04-13-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm listening to the game on the radio. They just had a moment of silence, which was very nice for Washington to do for a visiting team on the day of their home opener.

This is hard to listen to with the philly announcers. I don't think they are gonna make it through the game.
Old 04-13-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been a blubbering fool watching the retrospectives on TV. Harry the K's voice IS the Phillies. This is as dark a day for Phillies fans as the day when His Whiteness, Richie Ashburn, passed.

RIP Harry. You are missed already.

One happy note is that Kalas got to call his first and only Phillies World Series victory last year. (In 1980, MLB forbid local sportscasters from calling the game.)

Last edited by CRM114; 04-13-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 03:27 PM
Admin-Thanos

A sad day for sports. RIP.
Old 04-13-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-13-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kalas, The Bird and Bruce Snyder in one day .
Old 04-13-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was spoiled as a Philly fan growing up all these years. The Flyers had Gene Hart, the Eagles still have Merle Reese, and the Phillies always had Harry Kalas, and none of these guys can be replaced in my mind. I grew up with them, and grew up with Kalas every summer saying, "Michael..Jack...Schmidt!" or "Swing and a long drive, watch that baby...outta here!!!!" It will be very weird to watch the Phillies games without Kalas from now on, since he is the only announcer I ever knew.
Old 04-14-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is very sad news. Harry Kalas is one of the greatest sports voices ever. Huge fan of his work with NFL Films and the guy just knows how to call games. It didn't matter what sport he broadcasted; he was good at all of them and he had such a great voice. I felt so happy for him when the Phillies won the World Series.

RIP Harry Kalas

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.