Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Veterans Stadium is no more

Old 03-21-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Veterans Stadium is no more

And somewhere, Wendell Davis rejoices.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/8242095.htm

Veterans Stadium was reduced to a pile of rubble in just more than a minute this morning, as two honorary imploders pushed a symbolic plunger.

About 3,000 pounds of explosives took down the old concrete home of the Philadelphia Phillies and Eagles, section by section in a clockwise direction as loud booms rang out.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you just witnessed history," team announcer Dan Baker told the cheering crowd of several hundred people.

Former Phillies slugger Greg Luzinski, a member of the 1980 World Series team, and the Phillie Phanatic pushed the ceremonial red plunger as the explosions began.

The Vet, home to the Phillies and the Eagles for more than 30 years, imploded on schedule at 7 a.m.

A large area around the sports complex in South Philadelphia was closed off, and airspace above the stadium was restricted to a 1,500-foot elevation for a quarter-mile radius during the implosion.

Once the dust settles, workers will begin breaking down the concrete pieces, which will amount to 70,000 cubic yards of material. Contractors will be recycling debris on the site until July, and the spot will eventually serve as a 5,500-space parking lot.

The Phillies plan to paint an outline of the Vet's playing field across the new parking lot, and place granite markers at the former home plate, pitching mound and base locations.

New baseball-only and football-only stadiums have been built nearby to replace the Vet. The Eagles began playing in their new home, Lincoln Financial Field, last year. The Phillies played their last game at the Vet in September; their season opener in Citizens Bank Park is April 12.
Old 03-21-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonder how many Philly fans:

*Complained about the implosion?

*Threw snow covered batteries or other objects at the rubble?

*Chanted "Dallas sucks" as the building fell?

*Were still locked up in the holding cell at 7am?
Old 03-21-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They should have dropped a bomb on that place a long time ago.
Old 03-21-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Video available on the front page of http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com
Old 03-21-04, 10:40 AM

Bye Bye Veterans Stadium
Old 03-21-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I wonder where all the rats and inmates went.

I've been to 23 baseball stadia and the only place I saw that was worse than the Vet, was Tropicana Field in St. Pete.

For football, not nearly as bad. In fact, my favorite football memory took place at the Vet back in January 1991. Washington 20 Philly 6 in an NFC Wild Card game - Buddy Ryan's last game as head coach of the Eagles. Decked out in Redskins garb and laughing our asses off at the Eagles fans. We were continually pelted with objects throughout the 2nd half but we were so bundled up and wasted that we didn't feel a thing. Ah memories.
Old 03-21-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live here and didn't even bother to watch it...guess I'll check it out now.
Old 03-21-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked football games at the Vet. It felt really raw and crazy. It did suck for baseball though.
Old 03-21-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.nbc10.com has footage from the sky, as well as inside while it is happening. Pretty cool.
Old 03-21-04, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
www.nbc10.com has footage from the sky, as well as inside while it is happening. Pretty cool.
Thats a better video then any other site...
Old 03-21-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Wonder how many Philly fans:

*Complained about the implosion?

*Threw snow covered batteries or other objects at the rubble?

*Chanted "Dallas sucks" as the building fell?

*Were still locked up in the holding cell at 7am?
thats why i didnt start a thread on this myself earlier,because there is always someone who thinks they are funny and comes in to crap on things this way.

i will miss the vet.
it's were my dad took me to see games when i was a kid and it leaves me with many great memories.
Old 03-21-04, 04:53 PM

I think Powerbomb was funny and that the Vet sucked. Good riddance.
Old 03-21-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good.

What a dump.
Old 03-21-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was a dump but it was the dump I saw my first baseball game at; I will miss the Vet.
Old 03-21-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was at one of the last games there. Phillies/Marlins. Thome had a homer and Lieberthal hit a grand slam and won 8-0. That was also my daughter's first and last game at the Vet.
Old 03-21-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think many are not sorry it is gone.

Let's face it folks.

Despite the great memories of many Philadelphia-area sports fans I think many of them do not have fond memories of Veterans Stadium, given the generally poor state of the facilities there, especially the horrid playing surface. The far more modern Lincoln Financial Field for the Eagles and Citizens One Park for the Phillies are going to be fondly remembered with vastly better seating, better sight lines and lots of revenue-making luxury boxes.

(Mind you, I think the best outdoor sports facility in the USA is probably SBC Park--former Pacific Bell Park--the home of the San Francisco Giants. Superb sightlines, charming "quirks" in the outfield, superb concession facilities, and public-transit friendly location--kind of hard to beat! )
Old 03-21-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what do i care about the playing surface?
i or fans didnt play on it.
Old 03-21-04, 10:37 PM

Considering I grew up with Shea Stadium as my "home" stadium, the Vet wasn't any worse a dump, so it didn't bother me. I saw many a Phillies-Mets game at the Vet during the middle 80s, and I have many fond memories. Mostly because the Mets always seemed to win those games I guess. I remember the Mets fans always outnumbering the Phillies fans, and certainly being louder. Unfortunately, I also remember being appalled at the Phillies fans booing Mike Schmidt mercilessly.

Last edited by DarkElf; 03-21-04 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-22-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got an oppurtunity to visit and see my Raiders take out Philly a couple of years ago, only bad memories were how the Philly fans wanted to kill me
Old 03-22-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarkElf
Considering I grew up with Shea Stadium as my "home" stadium, the Vet wasn't any worse a dump, so it didn't bother me. I saw many a Phillies-Mets game at the Vet during the middle 80s, and I have many fond memories. Mostly because the Mets always seemed to win those games I guess. I remember the Mets fans always outnumbering the Phillies fans, and certainly being louder. Unfortunately, I also remember being appalled at the Phillies fans booing Mike Schmidt mercilessly.
Old 03-22-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

about damn time