DVD Talk Legend

Big summer Soccer tournament European teams

2004 ChampionsWorld Series Schedule Announced
http://www.championsworld.com/press_...il.asp?prID=35
ChampionsWorld News

Thursday, March 18, 2004

2004 ChampionsWorld Series Schedule Announced

Seven of the Best Teams in Europe to Participate in Nine Game Schedule
MOONACHIE, NJ – ChampionsWorld CEO Charlie Stillitano announced the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series schedule on Thursday, unveiling an incredible string of matches to be played by seven of the world’s best club teams at seven premier venues across the United States and in Canada in July and August.

Highlighting the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series is the return of Manchester United to America this summer for three games. The reigning Premier League champions will kick off their schedule with a match against Germany’s Bayern Munich at Chicago’s Soldier Field on July 25 before meeting Celtic at Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field on July 28. United will wrap up their pre-season in the United States with a high profile matchup against Italian league leaders AC Milan at Giants Stadium on Saturday afternoon, July 31. While in the United States, Manchester United will base their training operations at the Nova Care Complex, training home of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Joining United atop the ChampionsWorld Series marquee are defending UEFA Champions League holders AC Milan, who will face a strong test from a pair of Premier League teams. The current Serie A leaders will bring the top-ranked club team in the world to meet Manchester United at Giants Stadium on July 31 in the Series’ spotlight attraction, which will be shown live across the country on Fox Sports Net. Following that, the six-time European Cup winners will bring their star-studded lineup to Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field for a matchup against Chelsea on August 2. The return of AC Milan marks the third consecutive year that the Italian club has partnered with ChampionsWorld on a tour of the United States.

Celtic, currently leading the race for the Scottish Premier League title by a wide margin over cross-town rival Rangers, will kick off the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series with a return to Seattle where they will face off against English Premier League high-fliers Chelsea in Seattle on July 24. The English Premier League will provide the opponent for Celtic’s next two games as well when the Glasgow club meets Liverpool at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut, on July 26 before the match against Manchester United on July 28. Celtic will conclude their four-game tour with a match at Toronto’s SkyDome, where they will meet AS Roma on July 31.

London’s Chelsea, who have become one of the most exciting teams in England since acquiring a roster of dangerous players over the course of the last year, will feature in three games this summer. Following the Series opener in Seattle on July 24 against Celtic, Chelsea will help introduce Heinz Field in Pittsburgh to international soccer with a match against AS Roma on July 29. The Blues will end their tour with a Monday night football encounter at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on August 2. Chelsea will use the Pittsburgh Steelers Training Complex as their base of operations during the tour.

AS Roma, currently engaged in a dogfight with AC Milan for the Italian Serie A title, will appear three times in the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series. After opening their schedule with a July 29 game in Pittsburgh against Chelsea, the Rome club will head to Canada for the much-anticipated match against Celtic at the SkyDome on July 31. Roma will finish with another strong test from a Premier League club when they play Liverpool at Giants Stadium on Tuesday, August 3.

Liverpool Football Club will make their first appearance in the United States in decades when they meet Celtic at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut, on July 26. The four-time champions of Europe will meet AS Roma in their final ChampionsWorld Series match of 2004 on August 3 at Giants Stadium.

Tickets will go on sale to the general public beginning March 30 for all games except the August 3 match between Liverpool and Roma at Giants Stadium. Tickets for that match will be available to the general public starting April 13. For more information about tickets before they go on sale, fans can call 800-380-3208. Complete schedule and ticket information can be found at www.championsworld.com.

Fox Sports will broadcast each of the 2004 ChampionsWorld Series matches live across America, with the matches also airing on Spanish-language Fox Sports Espanol.

Fans have the opportunity to reserve tickets to games involving Manchester United and Celtic before they go on sale by signing up for the membership programs being offered by ChampionsWorld. For more information about the Manchester United One United program and the Celtic World Huddle membership program, fans should visit www.championsworld.com/memberships/.

OVERALL ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE SEVEN TEAMS
109 League titles
74 domestic cup titles
18 European Cup/Champions League titles
7 Fairs/UEFA Cup titles
7 Cup Winners’ Cup titles
6 Toyota Cup/World Club Championship titles
7 European Super Cup titles
228 pieces of silverware

SCHEDULE
Saturday, July 24 – Chelsea v. Celtic (Seahawks Stadium, Seattle)
Sunday, July 25 – Manchester United v. Bayern Munich (Soldier Field, Chicago)
Monday, July 26 – Liverpool v. Celtic (Rentschler Field, E. Hartford, CT)
Wednesday, July 28 – Manchester United v. Celtic (Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia)
Thursday, July 29 – AS Roma v. Chelsea (Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA)
Saturday, July 31 – Manchester United v. AC Milan (Giants Stadium, E. Rutherford, NJ)
Saturday, July 31 – Celtic v. AS Roma (SkyDome, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Monday, August 2 – Chelsea v. AC Milan (Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia)
Tuesday, August 3 – AS Roma v. Liverpool (Giants Stadium, E. Rutherford, NJ)

TEAMS
MANCHESTER UNITED (England)
CELTIC FC (Scotland)
AC MILAN (Italy)
CHELSEA (England)
AS ROMA (Italy)
LIVERPOOL (England)
BAYERN MUNICH (Germany)

VENUES (Capacity)
GIANTS STADIUM – East Rutherford, NJ (80,242)
LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD – Philadelphia, PA (68, 532)
SEAHAWKS STADIUM – Seattle, WA (67,000)
SOLDIER FIELD – Chicago, IL (63,000)
RENTSCHLER FIELD – East Hartford, CT (40,000)
SKYDOME – Toronto, Ontario, Canada (53,506)
HEINZ FIELD – Pittsburgh, PA (64,450)
Old 03-18-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need to make it to at least one of the Liverpool games. Definitely the one at Giants Stadium. Maybe also the one in Hartford, depending.
Old 03-18-04, 05:08 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be at both.
Old 03-18-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to try to be at both. I just don't know where I'll be all summer.
Old 03-18-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bayern Munich at Soldier Field? Interesting...
Old 03-18-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Crap, why can't there be a game at Olympic Stadium in Montreal.
Old 07-26-04, 12:10 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

W00t!!

I am off to the Liverpool - Celtic game tonight
Old 07-26-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm headed to Liverpool v FC Porto on Friday!
Old 07-26-04, 03:28 PM

Did anyone watch the Man United/Bayern Munich "match" yesterday? I thought it was poorly played and I feel sorry for the Chicagoans that paid $100 to see it.
Old 07-26-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those of you going to the Liverpool vs. Celtic game tonight have fun. Rentschler Field is a great venue, its also about a ten minute drive from my house and the home to UConn's growing football program.

Also...

Come on you REDS!!
Old 07-27-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

God those commentators on Fox Sportsworld are annoying.
Old 07-27-04, 10:53 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

What a great time. and a fantastic result.

I heard a lot of moaning about man united playing a very under strength team, Liverpool fielded a pretty much full strength squad.

Not sure about celtic they were missing a few key players, Balde for one.
Old 07-29-04, 09:56 AM

Tour organisers have pressured Man Utd to fly out Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Louis Saha, Paul Scholes and Mikael Silvestre for the last game to avoid the 12 day event becoming a total flop.
Old 07-29-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV schedule? (on Dish network)
Old 07-29-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kjn6371
Tour organisers have pressured Man Utd to fly out Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Louis Saha, Paul Scholes and Mikael Silvestre for the last game to avoid the 12 day event becoming a total flop.
I understand the reasoning but personally I kindda like having a closer look at all those young players.
Old 07-29-04, 12:56 PM

Their problem was having this right after Euro 2004, when teams like Man United want to rest the guys who played in it, so they're ready for the season. It makes perfect sense for the teams, but sucks for the people paying to see guys they may never have heard of.

I was glad to see Celtic win after their first two miserable performances; I'm going to the game Saturday against Roma and don't want to see another blowout like the Liverpool game.
Old 07-29-04, 03:48 PM

It's a shame, really.

ChampionsWorld and the Euro teams come over and play the high-class call girl to the American soccer fans' "john." Used, abused, money taken - for what? Out-of-shape and out-of-season players, sweating off the beer from their vacation drinking. ManU couldn't even be arsed to bring out most of its starting 11.

But given the chance to see competitive soccer, featuring stars from a top-10 ranked national soccer team on a week-in, week-out basis, people can't be bothered. Even world cup qualifiers don't always bring out the crowds like these meaningless exhibitions.

I'd rather go to three DC United games than one Champions World match (the prices are about equivalent).

RS
Old 07-29-04, 05:18 PM

I doubt most soccer teams get a chance to get out of shape these days during the off season.
Old 07-29-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kjn6371
I doubt most soccer teams get a chance to get out of shape these days during the off season.
Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer.