Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Anyone else NOT care about the NCAA Tournament?

Old 03-18-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else NOT care about the NCAA Tournament?

From all the talk about which teams got screwed into making the final cut and then getting blown out in the NIT, which prompts people to say, "Well, I guess that team can't talk now about not making it because they lost to so-and-so in the 1st round of the NIT" (this paraphrased in reference to Utah State), it reminds of why I hate the NCAA tourney.

Firstly, you can't judge NIT results as to whether a team should have made it into the big tourney. The teams that get hosed in the top 64 usually bow out early in the NIT because they don't care. Take UNLV, for example. Many times they've been screwed and end up in the NIT where they get blown out in the first round (like last night). There are ALWAYS at least 10 teams that don't deserve to be in and have zero chance of making past the 2nd round that get in because of automatic bids, which, to me, is ridiculous. I thought the idea was that the best 64 teams in the country get in, but the way the NCAA has it set up, there are teams in the top 25 that don't always make it. It's a joke.

I'm probably one of the most anti-NCAA hoops guy here. I hate the NCAA, I hate the tournament selection process, and I hate college politics. Ever since UNLV lost to Duke in 1991 thanks to what I believe to be a massive screw job by the NCAA (who LOVES Duke and HATES UNLV and Tarkanian), I have not had any interest at all in college hoops. Some teams essentially get home games in some rounds while other teams get shipped off to the opposite coast. It makes no sense, and it's not a fair barometer of who the best teams are. The concept is good (for the tourney), but the NCAA manages to screw it up every year.

I'm also sick of the same teams being there every year: Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Wake Forest, Arizona, Stanford, N.C. State.... It's like watching the Yankees make it every year. At least in pro sports, every team has essentially the same shot at getting a certain player, but in college, the best players always flock to the same schools. I'm not saying that's wrong--I'm saying it creates a boring, predictable, unwatchable product.

I know there will always be the mega-sports fans who will watch it, and everything else, no matter what. But for me, someone who uses much more discretion about what I invest my time in to watch (or follow), this sport is a waste of time.

Last edited by SleepyW; 03-18-04 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-18-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

It's like watching the Yankees make it every year. At least in pro sports, every team has essentially the same shot at getting a certain player, but in college, the best players always flock to the same schools. I'm not saying that's wrong--I'm saying it creates a boring, predictable, unwatchable product.

I think this 'problem' is far worse in 3 of the pro sports: MLB, NBA, and NHL. The NFL is one place, thanks to a salary cap and revenue sharing, that this is not a problem. Maybe it is not a coincidence that the NFL is the only sport I prefer to NCAA hoops.'

There have been 7 different champs in the last 7 years (and 11 in the last 12). Can any other major US sport say that?

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-18-04 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-18-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Anyone else NOT care about the NCAA Tournament?

Originally posted by SleepyW
At least in pro sports, every team has essentially the same shot at getting a certain player
Old 03-18-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

methinks this is the Lamest. Rant. Ever.

NC state is in the hunt every year? really? Wake Forest? you forgot Illinois, Florida, Seton Hall, Xavier, Indiana, Texas, Purdue, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC, and about 25 other teams that are in the tourney on a regular basis.....Pro sports can never come close to equalling the excitement of March Madness...not even close. you obviously have no idea what you are talking about....
Old 03-18-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Me... but i just hate college sports.
Old 03-18-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just don't really care all that much about college basketball. I used to and I can't really explain what happened. If the NBA folded tomorrow I wouldn't even know.
Old 03-18-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

you do realize that college basketball and the NBA are two different things... right?

Old 03-18-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, North Carolina hasn't made the tournament since 2001. So I guess that theory of them making it every year is bullcrap.

If Utah State can't even win one game in the NIT against a supposedly inferior team, do you really think they had legitimate shot at winning the national championship? Yes, they only lost 3 games, but who did they play? BYU and Utah aren't the quality the selection committee is looking for. I personally love the selection process. It is not supposed to be the best 64 teams. It is the best 34 teams after the 31 automatic bids are decided. Automatic bids are a great thing for minor conferences.
Old 03-18-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care for most major sports except for the playoffs and tournaments. Even then I usually don't start paying attention until the 2nd round.

The rare exception would be for a local Cinderella team like Air Force. First winning season in like forever and first trip to the tournament since 1962. (Wasn't that back when they still had the center jump after each basket scored? )
Old 03-18-04, 02:16 PM

The NCAA tournament lets in too many teams. How can you justify giving the 6th place team from the SEC or ACC a shot at winning a national title?
Old 03-18-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brizz
methinks this is the Lamest. Rant. Ever.

NC state is in the hunt every year? really? Wake Forest? you forgot Illinois, Florida, Seton Hall, Xavier, Indiana, Texas, Purdue, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC, and about 25 other teams that are in the tourney on a regular basis.....Pro sports can never come close to equalling the excitement of March Madness...not even close. you obviously have no idea what you are talking about....
I didn't say they were in the HUNT every year - I said they're in the tourney every year. They've been a player for the past 15 years (at least). I remember growing up and trying to find the little college basketballs at the sporting goods stores of the hottest teams. It was always Duke, N.C., N.C. State, Kansas, Louisville, Kentucky, DePaul....and here it is, 15 years later, and most of those are still the main teams around. It's dull.

As for someone laughing about my comment regarding pro sports essentially having the same shot at a player, tell me how that's not true? I'm not saying it happens, but in theory and rule, each team has the same shot. When free agency comes up, the worst team in the league has as much a chance at the player as the best team (assuming they have enough room under the cap). If Lebron James had decided to go to college, do you honestly think he would've ended up at an Idaho or a UN-Reno? You're crazy. He would've been pulled in by a contender...one that's there every year.

The college game is so diluted with crooked officials (college officials, not refs), politics and under-the-table deals, it's a farce to even suggest these are amateur athletes.

Originally posted by taa455
Well, North Carolina hasn't made the tournament since 2001. So I guess that theory of them making it every year is bullcrap.

If Utah State can't even win one game in the NIT against a supposedly inferior team, do you really think they had legitimate shot at winning the national championship? Yes, they only lost 3 games, but who did they play? BYU and Utah aren't the quality the selection committee is looking for. I personally love the selection process. It is not supposed to be the best 64 teams. It is the best 34 teams after the 31 automatic bids are decided. Automatic bids are a great thing for minor conferences.
OK - N.C. didn't make it in 1 time. Whooooa! Yep - I'm SO wrong! And you just proved my point about lesser teams and the NIT. You think Utah State cared when they got scrwed out of the tourney? Or UNLV? Or Colorado? They all arguable should've made it in, but didn't, yet lose in the first round. Why? They're no good? No -- they don't care. The NIT is a minor league competition and an insult to teams that deserve to be in the top 64. And what kind of nonsense is "It is not supposed to be the best 64 teams. It is the best 34 teams after the 31 automatic bids are decided"? So you're saying it's SUPPOSED to be 31 teams that got it whether they deserved to or not, and then 34 good teams? What kind of crapfest tournament is that? Automatic bids are a joke and render the regular season meaningless when a last place team can get it. You only strengthened my point.

Last edited by SleepyW; 03-18-04 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For someone who doesn't care, you sure do have a lot to say.

das

Old 03-18-04, 03:09 PM

OK - N.C. didn't make it in 1 time. Whooooa! Yep - I'm SO wrong!
2 times. Learn how to count.
Old 03-18-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

How many times have the Lakers made the playoffs in the last 30 years?
Old 03-18-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for someone laughing about my comment regarding pro sports essentially having the same shot at a player, tell me how that's not true? I'm not saying it happens, but in theory and rule, each team has the same shot.
That same theory says that any college can get any player. Neither are anywhere close to reality, however.
Old 03-18-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

What kind of crapfest tournament is that? Automatic bids are a joke and render the regular season meaningless when a last place team can get it. You only strengthened my point.
Yeah the regular season is meaningless. I guess St Joe's earned that #1 seed by getting blown out in the A-10 quarterfinals.
Old 03-18-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't really care that much, but still will watch
Old 03-18-04, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Dont care at all about any college sports.
Old 03-18-04, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by TexasGuy
The NCAA tournament lets in too many teams. How can you justify giving the 6th place team from the SEC or ACC a shot at winning a national title?
I think it's good that the NCAA Tournament let's so many teams in. I wish college football would take something from that philosophy and give more than just two teams a chance at the National Title. The NCAA Basketball Tournament is one of the most exciting sporting events to watch because they let in so many teams....at least in my opinion.
Old 03-18-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
How many times have the Lakers made the playoffs in the last 30 years?
I think you're in the wrong thread.

Originally posted by taa455
2 times. Learn how to count.
What, are you 5 years old? One, two, three, four, five?

Originally posted by das Monkey
For someone who doesn't care, you sure do have a lot to say.
I'm not allowed to have an opinion about why I think the NCAA Tourney is crap? Give me some credit for having the balls to take an unpopular stand on a topic some obsess to and live thier lives by, and back it up with reasonable observations. Beats the intelligent responses like ", "", and "learn how to count."

Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah the regular season is meaningless. I guess St Joe's earned that #1 seed by getting blown out in the A-10 quarterfinals.
Why is it people can take 1 example and it becomes the rule? I bet, if I had the time or interest, I could find more examples of teams that won the regular season in their conference (lesser, un-highly ranked teams), yet lost their conference, and didn't make the final cut. If St. Joe's had been in a more closely-decided conference, but still won, then lost their conference tourney, you damn well know they'd be lucky if they got in (which case they wouldn't have been #1 at the time). If you can't see the point I'm trying to make (whether you agree with it or not), then you have no business making a comment just for the sake of seeing your name on the page.
Old 03-18-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you're in the wrong thread.
His point was that in the pros, you also have teams that are in contention for long periods of time.
Old 03-18-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SleepyW

I'm not allowed to have an opinion about why I think the NCAA Tourney is crap?
Yeah, that's precisely what I said. It was a joke. Calm down.

das
Old 03-18-04, 05:30 PM

I also could care less about any College Sports.

If I want to watch sports, I'd rather spend my limited time watching the best players in the world playing Football or Basketball or whatever.
Old 03-18-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care much about the NCAA basketball regular season, but the Tourmament kicks ass!
Old 03-18-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by juiio
His point was that in the pros, you also have teams that are in contention for long periods of time.

Thank you. I thought that point was rather obvious since a particular poster was comparing college hoops to other sports. Apparently I was wrong. If that person couldn't see the point, then he probably has no business making a comment just for the sake of seeing his name on the page.

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-18-04 at 05:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.