Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Post Mania RAW - 03/15/2004 ***SPOILERS***

Old 03-15-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Post Mania RAW - 03/15/2004 ***SPOILERS***

OMG!!!!

HUGE BLOCKBUSTER ANNOUNCEMENT BY VINCE!!!!

THEY ARE GOING TO HOLD A LOTTERY TO SPLIT THE ROSTER!!!

Next week. On Raw. All of Smackdown. All of Raw.

Vince said it will be a NEW RAW. It will be a NEW WWE!!!! That the fans will finally get what they want!!!!! IT ALL BEGINS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

To quote the King: "Teams could be split up. The Dudley's could be split up!!!"

FINALLY, SOMETHING we have never seen before. Something different!!!! We've never seen this before... Ne...

nev....

Oh, wait a minute.

When he came out and starting spurting off all this NEW ERA shit I was sure it was going to be the end of the terrible brand extension. Instead we get a rehash of it in Brand Extension II. WWE and Vince going to the well, once again, with the same old tired shit. The funny thing is listening to the announcers go bonzo gonzo about this as though it has never happened before.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 03-15-04 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-15-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

Yeah, it's sad when my girlfriend [who doesn't watch RAW/Smackdown!] asked me "Didn't they do that last year...?"

I guess that's what it means to begin again..?
Old 03-15-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588

Yeah, it's sad when my girlfriend [who doesn't watch RAW/Smackdown!] asked me "Didn't they do that last year...?"

I guess that's what it means to begin again..?

Yeah, I guess I should have taken that litterally.
Old 03-15-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's very interesting that on the "Monday night wars" DVD, they talk about how one big reason why WCW failed at the end was that they would just push the same guys over and over, not letting any new reigns occur, and people just got bored of the same old. That sure sounds a lot like the WWE the past couple years. Granted Benoit and Eddie now have the titles, which I think is quite fitting since they were both from WCW .
Old 03-15-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this SUCKS

everybody i enjoy watching is on raw -- now i'm bound to lose 1/2 the people i want to see
Old 03-15-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cartman
I think it's very interesting that on the "Monday night wars" DVD, they talk about how one big reason why WCW failed at the end was that they would just push the same guys over and over, not letting any new reigns occur, and people just got bored of the same old. That sure sounds a lot like the WWE the past couple years. Granted Benoit and Eddie now have the titles, which I think is quite fitting since they were both from WCW .
Both former Cruiserweight champions over there, I want to add.

Anyway, here's an idea off the top of my head that would salvage this somewhat, at least in my mind:

The RAW Roster decides to protest against another brand extension and rally against Vince behind Bishoff. They will not leave RAW for Smackdown. This, of course, pisses off the Smackdown crew for RAW thinking their show is less then RAW.

Anyway, Vince says that if RAW tallent does not want to be in the brand extension they will NOT be recognized as WWE tallent. A few trickle over to Smackdown (mainly the younger tallent who just started and have more to lose) after that announcement but the main guys stay.

Raw is off the air for two or three weeks.

Meanwhile, Smackdown becomes the focal point as the Smackdown Superstars become the only WWE Superstars. They go on about how RAW is not needed and they were the better show anyway. They ARE the WWE. Vince comes out to gloat week after week about how he has the best tallent in the wrestling world and those "traitors" are NOT needed.

The final week Bishoff walks out and reveals that he has taken it upon himself to do what he has wanted to do for a looonnnnng time. He revives WCW and regains the Monday Night timeslot.

"Vince, you may have won the Monday night war but lets see if you win this one. I beat you before Vince and...well...you were right about one thing...it ALL begins again..."

Kick to the head. Vince goes down. Smackdown Roster runs out to attack Bishoff but is met by the new RAW roster (with some new faces as they bring up farm league tallent and maybe a few purchases of NWA-TNA tallent) coming out of all corners of the crowd.

End of Brand extension and a "slightly" new direction. New storlylines created. New fueds. New guys are pushed. New matches created.

SIDE NOTE: Yes, the InVasion angle failed and was one of the biggest dissapointments in wrestling history. But this would NOT be an InVasion. Just resurecting a company name. Hell, call Raw Nitro. When Bishoff came in I was sure they were going to do this but, instead, Bishoff became a Vince lacky. Time for him to show that evil genius that beat Vince in the past. They could show they learned from their mistakes and do a new twist on that angle the right way.

(Of course, this would work better if Nitro/Raw had a seperate booking team and they REALLY tried to compete with Smackdown.)

Anyway, just tossing out ideas.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 03-15-04 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-15-04, 11:26 PM
Banned

If John Cena goes to raw. I will be happy Word Life.
Old 03-15-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did someone set the clock back to 2002?
Old 03-15-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MovieMaster11
If John Cena goes to raw. I will be happy Word Life.
Yeah yeah, g, I give ma boy Cena mad props.
He bust a cap on da Raw chumps.
Those boyz betta call da cops.
He ownz all deir rumps.
Cena do hiz thing.
It hiz ring.
Forget the rest
Cenaz da best.
He roolz.
Da rest iz foolz.
Yo yo, don't think twice!
Ain't nobody gonna stop the sequel to Vanilla Ice.

...word to yo motha!

Old 03-15-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WWF? No...

WWE? No...

WWD? Ok... see a pattern?
Old 03-16-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goldberg74
WWF? No...

WWE? No...

WWD? Ok... see a pattern?
World Wrestling... ?

Oh yeah:

You got a thumping from the crowd last night.
Old 03-16-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one that likes the reshuffling?

I dunno. It was tired the way it was. Same old rivalries, etc.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing them do a "reshuffle" every year at the post-Mania RAW. Kinda gives the feel of wrestling "seasons" where everything culminates at WM and then starts again.
Old 03-16-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe ECW will return.

D
Old 03-16-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Am I the only one that likes the reshuffling?

I dunno. It was tired the way it was. Same old rivalries, etc.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing them do a "reshuffle" every year at the post-Mania RAW. Kinda gives the feel of wrestling "seasons" where everything culminates at WM and then starts again.
It'll keep things interesting for a bit but the bad thing is that stables and tag teams are broken up. I'm hoping that Bischoff and Heyman get pissed off and decide to resurrect their respective old companies.
Old 03-16-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's been rumors of Nitro/ECW returning for a while. I don't think it's going to spring from this though.
Old 03-16-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by WildcatLH
There's been rumors of Nitro/ECW returning for a while. I don't think it's going to spring from this though.
The sourced 'sheets' have been claiming for a while that an hour long ECW show on a weekend night (a la the original Shotgun) has already advanced beyond the idea stage.......
Old 03-16-04, 03:22 PM

As long as they break up Evolution I will be happy.
Old 03-16-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They really have no choice but to do this. Smackdown is now without its top heel and the rosters are very uneven.
Old 03-16-04, 05:11 PM

WWE(F) was best when the company seemed to be fighting against something. WCW, Austin, McMahon/Helmsley, etc. When the entire company is involved it makes for a much better show. As it stands now, there's no intertwining storyline thats holding things together and maybe the reshuffling will do that. Best case scenario would be a WCWvsRAW / ECWvsSmackDown story. Have Shane vs Bischoff and Steph vs Heyman for control of the shows.

There will only be 2 groups hurt by the shuffle. The Cruiserweights and the Womens Division. I hope Victoria doesn't mind losing her belt to Torrie in a couple of months.

D
Old 03-16-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
They really have no choice but to do this. Smackdown is now without its top heel and the rosters are very uneven.
A problem that wouldn't have transpired if NOT for the brand extension. If it was everyone against everyone, all the WWE tallent against all the WWE tallent, then there is MORE fueds, MORE stables, MORE heels and MORE faces against everybody else. The mix becomes larger. Both RAW and Smackdowns tagteam devision are TERRIBLE! (and tag teams have been since the Brand Extension). Getting all the teams together would make things more interesting.

FORGET all this two show belt shit.

1 Heavyweight Champ
1 Intercontinental Champ
1 set of Tag Champs
1 Cruiserweight
1 Womans

The belts have become meaningless because of how many there are and the fact that certain guys cannot fight for certain belts. The only time recently that I felt a belt meant something was when Benoit won it last night. The guy has been around for 18 years, HHH has had it forever and it was an amazing match to capture the gold.

The only way I would buy multipul belts in the federation is if my idea of the WCW rebith happened and Bishoff used the WCW names for the belts (hell, even bring back the lame TV Title -although, I will admit, that belt had some good matches surrounding it...mainly the Booker T/Benoit series). Then you have "WCW" tallent with WCW belts that they claim mean more then the Smackdown titles. They covet them more and would not wrestle a Smackdown tallent for their "federations" title. Smackdown feels the same way. Their belts are there's.

Of course, this would lead up to a huge match for a title or two after months of build up instead of what they did before by having WWE guys and WCW guys dropping titles to each other every other week. It became silly after awhile.

Anyway, the original post quoted was about lack of heels and, again, I stand by what I said in that this would not be a problem if the brand extension didn't happen.

How long will it be before we see a lack of heels? Lack of original fueds? Before one show is terrible and the other carries the federation? (Remember how RAW and Smackdown have flipflopped over the better show. During the Nash vs HHH days Smackdown was the better show. Recently it has been RAW. )

Personally, from a wrestling fan since he was 8, and from somebody pretty much done with the WWE, it is time to take note of times when we were shown a NEW WWE (start of the Hogan era, the New Generation and the Attitude Era) and elevate new "Superstars", new fueds and new ideas instead of rehashing old ones and bringing in old tallent to keep the ship afloat (Hall, Nash, Goldberg, Steiner - three who are out of the federation now and one who hasn't done anything of merit since a terrible fued with HHH. I won't mention Hogan here because it was nice to see him back and the crowd loved him and, to his credit, for awhile there he did bring in ratings). Really, in the end, it just added more weight to an already sinking ship (house show attendence, ratings and PPV buy-rates all show us that). Personally, by doing that, I feel is the only way they can really "ll begin again."

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 03-17-04 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-16-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by Derrich
I hope Victoria doesn't mind losing her belt to Torrie in a couple of months.

D
Then again......

Seems Torrie is already copping a major Sunny/Chyna/Sable-esque attitude backstage, and management is constantly rolling their collective eyes......
Old 03-17-04, 11:15 AM

If Torrie is getting an attitude then it's the WWE's fault. When she came in from WCW she was an above average looking valet but she has ZERO other skills.
Sunny and Sable could both cut a decent promo and Sunny knew how to take a bump every once in a while. But Torrie can barely get a sentence out. Hell, even Terri can cut a better promo. But they built Torrie up in the same way they built up Trish. Giving her story after story, push after push. But at least Trish took the time to learn to wrestle.
Torrie is getting away with simply walking to the ring while the annoucers act like she's the second coming.

D
Old 03-17-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
but...but...but...Torrie has BOOBIES!