Reload this Page >

7 more players granted eligibility for 2004 draft

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-06-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, for the 6 high schoolers, let me just say: you are idiots!!

But does anyone know anything about any of them? none of the names ring a bell with me in terms of commitments to colleges. They ain't gettin no schoolin now though....not for free anyway....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7145961

Nine more granted eligibility for 2004 draft

NEW YORK (March 5, 2004) -- The National Football League announced the names of nine players who have been granted special eligibility for the 2004 NFL Draft as a result of a recent federal court ruling. These players submitted written notification to the NFL prior to a March 1 deadline that they have renounced their college football eligibility.

On Jan. 19, 41 players were granted special eligibility under the league's three-year eligibility rule (three football seasons after high school graduation).

Following the federal court ruling on Feb. 5, in the Maurice Clarett case, underclassmen who did not meet those eligibility requirements were given the opportunity to apply for the 2004 draft.

The NFL established the following procedures for such players seeking to enter the draft:

Any players seeking to enter the draft had to submit a completed Special Eligibility form to the NFL office no later than Monday, March 1. Such players had a 72-hour window after March 1 during which they could withdraw their petition for eligibility.
Players were not permitted to bypass the March 1 deadline in order to seek eligibility for a later supplemental draft, and no supplemental draft will be held to accommodate such an election.
The March 1 deadline for players seeking to enter the draft did not apply to those players who were previously eligible to apply for the draft by Jan. 15, but elected not to apply.
The 2004 NFL Draft will be held on April 24-25 in New York City. The following players renounced their college football eligibility and were granted special eligibility for the 2004 NFL Draft today:

Players who were granted special eligibility

Joe Banks RB New Directions Academy HS (Baltimore, Md.)
John Belisle QB Capac Community HS (Capac, Mich.)
Maurice Clarett RB Ohio State University
Earl Fields DT Appling County HS (Baxley, Ga.)
Joe Lee WR Gates HS (Tacoma, Wash.)
Ronnie McCrae DB Pasadena City College
Ethan Mitchell RB Flowers HS (Springdale, Md.)
Ken Petitt T Redford HS (Detroit, Mich.)
Mike Williams WR University of Southern California
Old 03-06-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

a bit more from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751956

List also includes junior college player

ESPN.com news services
NEW YORK -- Six high school players and one junior college defensive back joined Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett and USC wide receiver Mike Williams Friday on the NFL's list of nine applicants cleared for early eligibility in the draft.

After Clarett and Williams, the best player would figure to be Ronnie McCrae of Pasadena (Calif.) City College. However, McCrae, a defensive back, had no interceptions for a team that went 0-10, according to The Washington Post.

If not McCrae, perhaps the best is offensive tackle Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Michigan. He was an honorable mention selection on the Detroit News 2002 all-Detroit football team.

None of the high school players is among the top 25 college prospects by position, according to Tom Lemming, editor of Prep Football Report and ESPN.com's recruiting guru, who said Friday he had heard of none of them. And, no wonder. They appear to be more suspect than prospect.

Running back Ethan Mitchell of Springdale, Md., and Flowers High School, never played for the varsity, while running back Joe Banks is from New Directions Academy High School, a Baltimore school for developmentally disabled children, according to the Post.

Quarterback John Belisle of Capac (Mich.) Community High School and defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga., were not on their school's 2003 rosters, while wide receiver Joe Lee of Tacoma, Wash., lists Gates High School, an alternative school that doesn't even have a football team, the Post reports.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the list was based on those who submitted written applications by the March 1 deadline. Applicants were given 72 hours to withdraw. Most scouts and league officials believe the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and even the most talented high school players.

Williams, who played two seasons in college, is expected to be a first-round pick while Clarett is thought to be a potential second- or third-rounder.

Clarett went to court to challenge the NFL's rule preventing players less than three years out of high school from entering the draft, and a federal judge ruled in his favor.

"I don't think we do any extensive checking [of the applicants] because there's no point to it based on the ruling," Aiello said. "We can't limit who's eligible under this ruling."
Old 03-06-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, what are those high school players thinking? It almost seems like a joke. Not even on varsity? Not even a team? School for developmentally disabled children? And they want to play in the NFL? At least none of the top prospects decided to forego college for the NFL.
Old 03-06-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol, seems like they just wanted to try it. I always wondered what it would be like if say I declared for the NBA draft. I suspect all one has to do is file papers. It's a story you can tell your kids...
Old 03-07-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Let me just say Clorette can rot in hell, I hate that selfish prick, he's started the downfall of college football, now it's gonna be just like basketball with the best players skipping college
Old 03-07-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
Let me just say Clorette can rot in hell, I hate that selfish prick, he's started the downfall of college football, now it's gonna be just like basketball with the best players skipping college
I really don't think this will be the case. If these high school players fail (which they will), it will just add to the argument that players out of high school are not ready for the NFL. Not only that, the NFL is appealing the decision for future drafts.
Old 03-07-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

this sucks

but i guess the failures of these real young guys will be a lesson to future classes

(by young guys, I dont mean clarett and williams.. I really think williams is ready for the NFL and maurice doesnt really have alot of options.. he is the type of player that might as well cash in quick before he does something stupid an ends up in jail)
Old 03-07-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder how HS players declaring for the draft will affect their NCAA eligibility if they aren't drafted...
Old 03-07-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mnguye10
I wonder how HS players declaring for the draft will affect their NCAA eligibility if they aren't drafted...
depends on if they contact/hire an agent, i believe
Old 03-07-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you declare eligibility? I'd like to declare myself eligible.
Old 03-07-04, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
How do you declare eligibility? I'd like to declare myself eligible.
You're too late, you had to declare by March 1. Maybe next year
Old 03-08-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
Actually college basketball is doing quite well. You could on the other hand make an argument that it has hurt the NBA.

From a legal standpoint the NFL didn't have a leg to stand on. Even they new the age rule wouldn't hold up in court. It was only a matter of time before someone challenged it in court and won. It just happened to be Clarett if it wasn't him it would have been someone else.

this sucks

but i guess the failures of these real young guys will be a lesson to future classes
I don't think these early declarations of high schoolers can be taken seriously. None of these kids were prospects. None had been offered scholarships. Scouts haven't even heard of them. And at least one of the kids doesn't even play football. Its like a bunch of stoners declared for the NFL because they thought it would be fun.