Reload this Page >

TO, Baltimore Ravens

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

TO, Baltimore Ravens

Old 03-04-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TO, Baltimore Ravens

Jay Glazer reports the Ravenstraded their 2nd rounder for TO. Maybe Ray Lewis can knock some sense into this a**hole.
Old 03-04-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
That would be surprising. All day it sounded like TO to Philly was close to a done deal.
Old 03-04-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
link

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7142347
Old 03-04-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 49ers now have 3 of the first 51 picks. NFL.Com is also reporting it.
Old 03-04-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Philly was out of it once they signed Kearse...

That's quite a couple of personalities there with Ray Lewis and TO. It'll be interesting to see how they get along.
Old 03-04-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

We'll see what Owens really feels about Jeff Garcia when he has to be receiving end of throws from Ravens QBs.
Old 03-04-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So whats the highest pick the Ravens have now? 3rd round?
Old 03-04-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Yep. That's a good deal though. Filled their biggest need (well assuming Jamal is cleared).
Old 03-04-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Owens will certainly be more productive than anyone they would have drafted in the second round.
Old 03-04-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Owens will help them and Lewis will keep him in line. This is Lewis' team, no if's-and-or-buts.
Old 03-04-04, 03:56 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Red Dog
We'll see what Owens really feels about Jeff Garcia when he has to be receiving end of throws from Ravens QBs.
That was my first though.

Yep. That's a good deal though. Filled their biggest need (well assuming Jamal is cleared).
A big assumption, given they have him on tape. He's in deep shit unless they can get that evidence thrown out.
Old 03-04-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

A big assumption, given they have him on tape. He's in deep shit unless they can get that evidence thrown out.

I don't think he is in deep shit at all. I've seen the evidence, and as a lawyer, I don't think there is much there even if admitted.
Old 03-04-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jamal will plead down and get probation. No need to worry.
Old 03-04-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That was my initial thought, too.
Old 03-04-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's a good deal for the Niners, they basically get a 2nd rounder because TO's agent messed up. There should be plenty of good WRs still available at that spot.

WRs are so overrated it's scary.
Old 03-04-04, 04:55 PM
Retired

I don't think he is in deep shit at all. I've seen the evidence, and as a lawyer, I don't think there is much there even if admitted.
Fair enough. Probably just wishful thinking on my Raven-hating behalf.
Old 03-04-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Headed over to the Eagles official message board. Yesterday everyone was so happy with the Front Office. Now... well, you can probably guess. That's why I love living here.
Old 03-04-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of these football message boards are hilariously stupid. On the Redskins board I visited yesterday you had a mix of people, the trolls making fun of the Redskins for spending money, the trolls making fun of the Redskins not getting Kearse, the Redskins fans upset over not getting Kearse, and then the people proclaiming the greatness of it all. But I've gone off topic...

I like Owens, I think he helps Baltimore. Problem is, Baltimore actually was a pretty high scoring team last year. I don't see Owens really helping that much, nor do I see him getting a ton of balls thrown his way. I do hope Kyle Boller actually throws to a few WRs this year, however.
Old 03-04-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reason I like what the 49's are doing is that it seems to me they are rebuilding through the draft and in the future through free agency for a run in 2 or 3 years, unlike the Redskins who are still trying to force a title run by spending money and grabbing veterans instead of building a solid foundation first.

Maybe it will work for the Redskins this year, but their history doesn't suggest it will, Gibbs or no Gibbs.
Old 03-04-04, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
The reason I like what the 49's are doing is that it seems to me they are rebuilding through the draft and in the future through free agency for a run in 2 or 3 years, unlike the Redskins who are still trying to force a title run by spending money and grabbing veterans instead of building a solid foundation first.

Maybe it will work for the Redskins this year, but their history doesn't suggest it will, Gibbs or no Gibbs.
You can get burned either way. NFL history is littered with highly-paid high round draft picks who were absolute disasters. Recent 'skins draft picks have been decent to good, but the draft has also yielded such first-round duds as Tom Carter, Bobbie Wilson, Heath Shuler, Desmond Howard, and Michael Westbrook.
Old 03-05-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But I think that is coaching more than the players. The 49's have a really good coaching staff in which they develop talent. They just can't get past that point to win in the title chase.

The Redskins in past years have a coaching staff that has their players looking disorganized and territorial rather than as a team. Maybe that comes from Management, but if you have rookie talent who have no preconceived notion of how it's done in the NFL, then they can build around that. The Redskins are pluging holes with talent veterans but are not going to have the time to gel as a unit.

Edge: Overwhelmingly 49's. I just like this approach over the Redskins.
Old 03-05-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha, you said the 49ers have a good coaching staff? Erickson is pretty mediocre, in my opinion. He's never led a winning team, and he definitely was not much of an upgrade from Mariucci, who they let go to hire him...

The ownership/management of the 49ers is horrible... they have no idea what direction this team is going in. We just lost our starting QB, our all-Pro WR, our starting RB for the past few seasons, and half of our offensive line. We're about to lose our #2 receiver, our #1 CB, and probably some other guys too. 3 years ago, we had so much salary cap room and a promising team, and now we're struggling to get under the cap and are in rebuilding mode again.

Even thought they hired him as a consultant, they haven't really listened to Bill Walsh, one of the greatest football minds in the game and someone who built this organization... And I haven't even mentioned that we still play in Candlestick Park...

The 49ers are getting ripped pretty badly in the press here in the Bay Area. And if it wasn't for the whole Bonds-steroids thing, I'm sure more people would be blowing up John York and his cheap wallet...
Old 03-05-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I said they have a good coaching staff in developing talent but not much more after that. Losing players is an every year thing, especially if your team has moderate success in any one area or even wins the Super Bowl. And everyteam has to rebuild at some point.

If you were in Washington, you would be watching a team going through it's 3rd or 4th rebuilding process in the last 5 - 7 years with little or no known improvement.

Hell, even as a Cowboys fan I have seen 3 consecuative years of 5-11 seasons and make a few changes in the coaching staff and now this relativly same group can win 10+ games.

My point is that every team knows where they want to go and how they want to get there, it's just that the 49ers have a better plan IMO than the Redskins. I'm only comparing those two teams in my earlier posts, BTW.
Old 03-05-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
How long before TO blows up in Baltimore?
Old 03-05-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interestingly, from the Philadelphia Inquirer..

Apparently, the Eagles worked out a trade with the 49ers and a contract with Owens. Owens wanted to go to Philadelphia. Then they (the 49ers) traded Owens to Baltimore instead.

Neither Owens nor his agent seemed too happy about the development.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.