Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

More trouble for the Buffs...Kicker was raped...

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-18-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the story... and her statement is provided below....not good for the Buffaloes at all....Sad that the first female to play the game in 1-A will be remembered for this....not exactly a ringing endorsement for other young ladies eh?

Statement issued by Kate Hnida

The recent allegations into the football program at the University of Colorado have caused me to come forward with details of my own experiences at CU. They occurred several years ago while I was enrolled at the school and was a member of the football team.

To this day, I am dealing with the repercussions suffered from my short time at CU. I will have to deal with it for the rest of my life.

Making this information public was not an easy decision. It has been extremely difficult for me, my family and those closest to me, but it has also helped me. I did this because I hope no one else will have to deal with the horrors I've endured over the past few years.

I want to emphasize that a large number of my Colorado teammates during the fall of 1999 were good people. However, there were a select few whose actions towards me changed my life forever.

Being at the University of New Mexico the past 18 months and getting on the field again has really been a blessing. More than anything else, it has helped in my healing process. I have been able to play a game I love so much and also be part of a team that is like a family.

I have not had a single problem with any of my teammates at UNM. I have not received any special treatment, nor did I request any. That's a credit to the type of program that Coach (Rocky) Long is running at New Mexico.

Currently, my primary goals are to complete my education at the University of New Mexico and, hopefully, obtain a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA. Since I'm not officially on the team anymore, I'm training on my own while awaiting word from the NCAA regarding the appeal I submitted last Friday (Feb. 13).

I was not at the University of Colorado in the fall of 2001, so I cannot comment about the current allegations being made. However, I felt that my information is pertinent to the investigation being conducted. I have been in contact with Boulder (Colo.) County law enforcement authorities, but I do not expect to file any charges at this time.
Old 02-18-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barnett also called Hnida's play "terrible," drawing criticism from Hoffman.
what the hell does this have to do with rape accusations?
Old 02-18-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Article isn't too clear when he said she was "terrible." It leads me to think it happened last fall.

But maybe he was asked if she was any good yesterday, and he said "she was terrible." I'm sure he wasn't trying to draw a correlation b/w rape and playing ability.
Old 02-18-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
and Brizz.. Im sure it pained you to have to be the one to start this thread
Old 02-18-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
and Brizz.. Im sure it pained you to have to be the one to start this thread
huh?

As for the comments on her play, the reporter for Sports Illustrated that she went to and has talked with since High School was on the DP radio show today...he basically said that Barnett dissed her from day one and that he simply didn't want her on the team. I'm not sure how that works, since it would seem to me that the coach could cut her, but that's the story...and that the players took his cue and just brutalized her in practice day after day....five lineman cornered and threatened her the first day she says, and she was continually harrassed, groped, and flashed by guys on the team. She told her father and he went to Barnett and the AD, but they did nothing. When asked why she didn't leave the team, he said that she just loves football and really wanted to be the 1st woman to score in 1-A.

that's the interview in a nutshell anyway....
Old 02-18-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
huh?
nevermind.. your an MSU fan..
for some reason.. i was thinking you were a CSU fan..
but now that I think about it.. thats bishop2knight (aka james powell or whatever)
Old 02-18-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My favorite college program is quickly heading down the proverbial shitter.
Old 02-18-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts
They showed the coach's comments about her on PTI, and I was shocked at what he said. He basically said that she was a horrible kicker and that guys don't respect a bad player, or something to that effect. He didn't really address the rape situation unless he was implying that she was raped because she was bad.
Old 02-18-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RoyalTea
what the hell does this have to do with rape accusations?
From http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...36/detail.html:

"It's a guy's sport. (Players) felt like Katie was forced on them. It was obvious Katie was not very good. She was awful. You know what guys do? They respect your ability. I mean, you could be 90 years old, but if you could go out and play, they would respect you. Well Katie was a girl, and not only was she a girl, she was terrible," Barnett said.
It looks like Barnett was insinuating that if the girl played better, then she would have had her teammates' respect, and thus she would not have been raped.

You can watch a video with the coach's comments at the link I posted.
Old 02-18-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could see it that way, but I think he was simply saying that Katie made the team because she was female and NOT the best place kicker that tried out for the team. It's the same stuff that people go through if their parents are rich and buy their childs place in a college or job, or something similar.

Now if she had made the team and showed improvement every week, then she would have had the respect of the team. But if she came in with a crap attitude and reminded the guys that she is only there because she is a girl, then she has no respect. And w/out that, the guys wouldn't stick up for you.

And if you think that's crap, then I feel for you because the same thing happens with my co-workers. True, I don't expect the girls to be raped, but if you don't pull your own then no one will stick their neck out for you.

BTW, do we have pics of Katie?
Old 02-18-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Does anyone else think that it is inevitable that Barnett will be fired now?

Editted to add: Just heard on Sporting News Radio that there will be press conference in Boulder at 12 am Eastern. I guess the Gary Barnett era is over - sorry it didn't work out for him. I remember being excited when he came in and replace Neuheisel.

Last edited by B.A.; 02-18-04 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some kind of Colorado news conference is coming up at midnight EST tonight on ESPN
Old 02-18-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, I just saw the Barnett clip on SC and it was really harsh....he comes off like a complete ass. The SI guy i mentioned above speculated on whether he'll be fired and he thought not, specifically because the school is in the midst of a lawsuit over the recruiting stuff and have taken the Schultz Defense of "I knew Nuthink" - firing Barnett would be acknowledging that he did something wrong - or in this case failed to address something that was wrong. He figured they would lean on him to resign instead and allow the school to maintain their stance.

As for POWERBOMB's comments, i must say that the tone of his post - basically excusing the repeated abuse - followed by a request for pics is really kind of startling given the subject at hand. I'll be the first in line to see a hot chick in most any context, but this ain't it. A little respect and decorum isn't too much to ask for is it?
Old 02-18-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SportsCenter is reporting the press conference will reveal that Barnett has been placed on administrative leave
Old 02-18-04, 11:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Stuff is starting to come about about Barnett and his time at Northwetern too. Their was a story in the chicago tribune today that had former NU players saying the same thing happened at NU when Barnett was there in regards to sex and strip clubs.
Old 02-19-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am still in shock as to how a guy can inherit a program from Rick Neuheisel and actually make it worse
Old 02-19-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good for them for emphasizing how ridiculously inappropriate his tirade about her "ability" was yesterday....
Old 02-19-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daryl
I am still in shock as to how a guy can inherit a program from Rick Neuheisel and actually make it worse
No shit!
Old 02-19-04, 01:20 AM

Outside the Lines (ESPN) carried a lot of the press conference.
He's on administrative leave for 2 comments:
His tirade about her performance yesterday, and his comments in the police report that he would back his player who was being investigated for rape 100%.
Old 02-19-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Barnett will be gone by Friday at latest.

I personally think that either CU fires Barnett or he resigns and takes buyout of his contract with CU by Friday. This issue is now too hot to handle, to say the least.
Old 02-19-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So has anyone heard the question he was asked?

I bet not.

I would imagine some reporter asked him about her playing ability and he said she was awful.

Now if that's NOT what happened, then this guy is a bigger idiot then I already think.

Of course, no matter what, his comments were still pretty appropriate.
Old 02-19-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toad
So has anyone heard the question he was asked?

I bet not.

I would imagine some reporter asked him about her playing ability and he said she was awful.
so what? Even if he thought she was the most horrible football player to have ever played the game, the proper answer for such a question is "no comment" or just say that her playing ability is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
Old 02-19-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So he answered "improperly"? Weak.
Old 02-19-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what did he say about her ability? She sucks?
Old 02-19-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
I can't believe he said what he said. I saw that on PTI and I was floored. I'm sure administrative leave is simply a precursor for termination.

Bye bye Barnett.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.