Bonds' Trainer names names

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-18-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1737502

so, steroids are illegal in this country, right? so, you'd think that using steriods would be treated just the same as using cocaine or heroin (all illegal substances).

so, why am I 100% certain that none of the major leaguers will face any jail time?

not that I agree with the "harsh" drug laws in this country, but if they're going to be harsh for some, they should be harsh for all.
Old 02-18-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the drug laws don't proscribe the same punishment for steroid use as they do for cocaine or heroin. That'd be why.

Just because the two things are illegal doesn't mean the two punishments are the same.
Old 02-18-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Well, the drug laws don't proscribe the same punishment for steroid use as they do for cocaine or heroin.
what are the punishments for steroid use? Or is there an exemption for professional athletes?
Old 02-18-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH
Well, the drug laws don't proscribe the same punishment for steroid use as they do for cocaine or heroin. That'd be why.

Just because the two things are illegal doesn't mean the two punishments are the same.
Says who? The laws in AZ are the same (basically) for any illegal controlled substance. The difference is that they don't actively pursue convictions against the users of steroids.

So it's pretty much a fact that Bonds used them, right?
Old 02-18-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
He's Bond's personal trainer, after all.
Old 02-18-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Says who? The laws in AZ are the same (basically) for any illegal controlled substance. The difference is that they don't actively pursue convictions against the users of steroids.
It varies by state. In CO, drugs are broken into different "schedules" with different punishments. For ex, schedule I and II drugs are a felony, while III-V are just a misdemeanor, if I'm not mistaken. Deftones, you sure that AZ isn't that way? Illegally possessing cocaine is the same as illegally possessing say, some mild prescription drug? That is very odd, and I do not believe that is the norm around the country.
Old 02-18-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope this blows the lid off baseball. I want to know everyone who has bought steroids or tested positive. Its an absolute disgrace. There should be an automatic 1 year ban, at least. Players who take steroids are cheaters and if Ive been cheering a cheater, I want to know about it.
Old 02-18-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
I hope this blows the lid off baseball. I want to know everyone who has bought steroids or tested positive. Its an absolute disgrace. There should be an automatic 1 year ban, at least. Players who take steroids are cheaters and if Ive been cheering a cheater, I want to know about it.
Mlb won't do anything to these "cheaters".. Take into account how they handle other "cheaters" such as sosa, and his corked bat. What was it a 5 game suspension, which he appealed down to like 3 games or something. Way to handle a guy who makes a living hitting homeruns, who was using a corked bat.

Nothing will come of this.
Old 02-18-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
Mlb won't do anything to these "cheaters".. Take into account how they handle other "cheaters" such as sosa, and his corked bat. What was it a 5 game suspension, which he appealed down to like 3 games or something. Way to handle a guy who makes a living hitting homeruns, who was using a corked bat.

There are guys in the hall of fame who were acknowledged cheaters, achieving their success by throwing a spit ball. To be honest, to treat Sosa like he's a pariah when all folks do is laugh and wink about the spitballers is to use one hell of a double standard.
Old 02-18-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Well... in Sosa's defense they handled other players who have used a corked bat the same way. The slugger known as Wilton Guerrero got pretty much the same suspension for a corked bat... so it's not like the league was playing favorites.
Old 02-18-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if players are committing acts that are illegal, MLB shouldn't have ANY jurisdiction over this.
Old 02-18-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who do you think they are? Bonds, Giambi, Sosa?
Old 02-18-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Corked bats don't help you hit home runs.
Old 02-18-04, 01:51 PM

Looks like Gary Sheffield may have been involved, according to a document released by The Smoking Gun:

Steroid affadavit
Old 02-18-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Corked bats don't help you hit home runs.
Corked bats help increase the bat speed. Therefore, depend on how strong an individual is, could increase the velocity of the balls hit with a corked bat and possibly hit more home runs.
Old 02-18-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RUN-DvdMC
Who do you think they are? Bonds, Giambi, Sosa?
Players I have always suspected:

Gary Sheffield
Greg Vaughn
Jose Canseco
Brady Anderson
Steve Finley
Albert Belle
Cecil Fielder
Lenny Dykstra
John Kruk
Darren Daulton
Ken Caminiti
Old 02-18-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Corked bats help increase the bat speed. Therefore, depend on how strong an individual is, could increase the velocity of the balls hit with a corked bat and possibly hit more home runs.
Sorry, but your deduction is wrong. The weight of the bat decreases, but at the same time the lower mass reduces the effectiveness of the collision - which decreases the batted-ball speed. Which effect is greater is a toss-up. But since the two effects offset eachother, there appears to be absolutely no scientific advantage to using a corked bat - at least for hitting home runs. There would be an advantage to just making contact, however. Because the bat is lighter and can be swung faster, a player can wait a few milleseconds longer before commiting to a swing. This means he can watch the pitched ball travel about 5 or 6 more feet before deciding to swing. For a slumping player this may help make contact with the ball more often. But, a corked bat will not make the ball go faster or further.
Old 02-18-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just heard on the radio that Gary Sheffield is the first name to come out. His name was found on a Fed Ex package at BALCO.
Old 02-18-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by juiio
Just heard on the radio that Gary Sheffield is the first name to come out. His name was found on a Fed Ex package at BALCO.
Yep...Bonds' "best friend". Perhaps Andruw Jones should be a little scared right now too?
Old 02-18-04, 02:38 PM

Corking a bat decreases the weight, thus increasing the swing speed. But as mentioned with less mass you have less force on the ball. So it equals out.

What corking a bat mainly does, is take weight from the middle of the bat. So the weight is distributed more on the ends, creating a larger effective sweet spot. That is why corking a bat hits the ball further.

A ball hit on the exact sweet spot with a corked bat and regular bat should go the same distance. A ball hit 2 inches towards the end of a corked bat will go farther, because of the larger effective hitting area.

Think of it with Golf and Cavity Backed Irons vs. Blades. Same thing.
Old 02-18-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Players I have always suspected:

Gary Sheffield
Greg Vaughn
Jose Canseco
Brady Anderson
Steve Finley
Albert Belle
Cecil Fielder
Lenny Dykstra
John Kruk
Darren Daulton
Ken Caminiti
Kruk!?!?!?
Old 02-18-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Kruk!?!?!?

Old 02-18-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kruk and Cecil Fielder? This was a list for steroids not Weight Watchers!
Old 02-18-04, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by chrisih8u
And when half the league is banned for a year, while they're at it, use that year to get some sort of salary cap installed too.
Old 02-18-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
dont you think it would be easier to list the MLB players that AREN'T on some sort of illegal substance, than it would to be to list the users?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.