Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

What is it about your team that makes you pull for them?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-12-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered why people pull for a certain team. Especially if they aren't their local team.

I'm a Redskins fan mainly because thats who my parents pull for and we are fairly close to the DC area.

I'm a Lakers fan because I loved watching Magic growing up.

I'm a Braves fan because Atlanta baseball has been a 7:35pm night affair in our family for at least 25 years. My grandfather was a die hard fan and naturally my father watched them and now do I.

I'm partial to coaches and have my favorite teams but those above are the three I actually follow and pull for.
Old 02-12-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Location, location, location

However, I was a die-hard Lakers fan in the 80s. Of course, now I couldn't care less about the Lakers nor the NBA.
Old 02-12-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm a Lakers fan. I moved to California in the fall of 1980. Couldn't have been a more perfect time to start wathing them and be amazed.

However, I'm also a critical Clippers fan. I pull for them because they are the underdog team. They've always had the potential to be very good and I keep rooting for them.
Old 02-12-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a huge Tampa Bay Bucs fan...yes, even before they were good. I guess it was around 1991 when I started to like them. I remember they defeated the Eagles 14-13. Since that win against the Eagles, my heart has been with Tampa. It grew even stronger when I lived in Florida due to being around them so much.

One of my favorite wins of theirs is from 1995 when they defeated the Eagles opening day, 21-6.

Games I attended were:

vs. Minnesota where they lost some like 38-13 (had a blast)
vs. Green Bay (Sunday night overtime win 16-13 final - might have been the last game of that season. Was freaking cold for Tampa!)

My intensity grew when I got to go to a couple games at the old stadium.

Tammmmmmmppppaaaaaaa---------------->>>>>>>Baaaaaayyyyy!

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 02-12-04 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grew up in southern CT (all NY fans mostly-especially my household) so I naturally rooted for all of the Boston teams - except for football...A lot of my family lived in Miami and my first football game was the Dolphins, Griese and the Orange Bowl....
Old 02-12-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm a Twins fan because of my father. I remember listening to the '87 World Series on the radio when we lived in West Germany and my dad was happy as hell when they won.

I didn't become a Cardinals fan until we had lived around here for a few years. I eventually converted and now I love 'em. Low and behold, I married a Cubs fan.

Blues - I didn't know jack about hockey until we moved here and that was in the middle of the Hull/Oates craze.

Bulls - only team in Illinois, but mostly because of Jordan.

49ers - living overseas we were only able to watch the Super Bowl. I became enamored w/ Montana, Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and Co.

Spurs - mostly because of Robinson and Duncan.

Duke Blue Devils - didn't know a thing about college ball when we moved back to the States. Everyone in my area was enamored w/ UNLV and UNC (besides Mizzou and U of I), so I latched on to Duke naturally. I also root for the state schools now, too - U of I and SIU, and occasionally Mizzou.

Colorado - state of my birth, plus we moved back to the States right in the middle of the great McCartney era.

Air Force Academy - I'm an Air Force brat, plus I was born there.
Old 02-12-04, 03:42 PM
Suspended

I like the Lakers because a.) I was born in Los Angeles county & b.) My older brother was/is a Laker fanatic so it rubbed off on me.
Old 02-12-04, 04:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WVU- No pro teams in WV, so grew up rooting for them my whole life.

Braves- Again, no local teams and we didn't have much TV channels growing up, but did get TBS. So I got into the Braves in my little league years.

Raiders- I was a big Bo Jackson fan, then they got Hosteteler and James Jett from WVU which kept my interest.

Magic- was a Shaq fan when he came into the league, stuck with them when he left.
Old 02-12-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a Braves fan because my first little league team was the Braves. I wore number 3, the same as my favorite player, Dale Murphy.

I'm a Lakers fan, because it seemed like there were only two NBA teams in the 80's, the Celtics and the Lakers. Those Celtics were damn ugly, so there was no way I could root for them. Plus, the Lakers being in California like me probably helped. And Kareem Abdul-Jabaar.

I'm a Sharks fan because they're my home team. I was a fan of any team Wayne Gretzky played for, but now that he's retired, I only root for the Sharks.

I can't remember why I became a Chargers fan. Maybe it was the cool helmet. In any event, Dan Fouts became my favorite football player and ever since I've rooted for them.

Oklahoma: two kids from Oklahoma had moved to our street back when I was a youngin. They were always "Sooners this" and "Sooners that", for some reason, it always stuck with me.

LSU and Auburn: I don't remember. I just liked the teams (mostly football), so I've stuck with em.
Old 02-12-04, 04:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by shizawn
I'm a Braves fan because my first little league team was the Braves. I wore number 3, the same as my favorite player, Dale Murphy.
He was my favorite player when I was playing little league as well. We didn't have choice over numbers though.
Old 02-12-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dolphins, Marlins, University of Miami football -- Grew up in Miami. I was a Mets fan (because my dad was, and he grew up on Long Island) until Miami got a baseball team.

New Jersey Devils hockey -- First hockey game I ever saw involved the Colorado Rockies. For some reason I liked them. Then they moved to NJ, and I liked the Devils.

Syracuse University basketball -- Law school alma mater

North Carolina Tar Heels basketball -- Lived in NC for a few years. Was told I had to root for one, and it was an easy decision.
Old 02-12-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a die-hard go to every game fan, but I've cheered for every Dallas area team since birth cause my family grew up there. I was raised on the Cowboys and Mavs, the Texas Rangers and now I also like the Stars.
Old 02-13-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location and family.

I love the Redskins and the Orioles because I grew up in Northern VA. I love the Suns because a good portion of my family lives in Phoenix & Tucson. And I love the Oregon Ducks because that's where I went to school.
Old 02-13-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location. Born and raised in the Bay Area, I root for all of the local Bay Area pro teams, although I'm partial to the San Francisco teams over the Oakland ones. I did go to school at Berkeley, so I'm also a Cal fan.
Old 02-13-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sixers fan

And I grew up on Guam. Go figure.

It's cause I liked Georgetown when I was in high school, with their team of Iverson, Victor Page, Jahidi White, ya ya jia, or whatever. But especially Iverson. Then I just kept following him throughout his career in the Sixers.
Old 02-13-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

San Francisco Giants - Was a Barry Bonds fan since about the age of 10 or 11, thus latched onto the team.

Miami Heat - Location

Miami Dolphins - Location

Florida Marlins - Hate the bandwagon fans, but also love having a team nearby.
Old 02-13-04, 05:03 AM

Oilers... who the hell else am I going to cheer for... the Flames?
Old 02-13-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm a Minnesot Vikings fan because ... I enjoy punishment?
Old 02-13-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Yankees fan... I'm from Long Island and I simply just chose the Yankees when I was young and I've turned into a die hard fan.

Knicks... I'm from Long Island and the Knicks used to be good.

Islanders... not much of a hockey fan but if I were to root for a team it would be the Isles.

Jets... again I just chose the Jets as a kid and ended up liking them a lot, even though they suck.
Old 02-13-04, 01:10 PM

I'm a Los Angeles Kings fan due to my Dan being a fan since they became a team in LA. I was born into it and it has stuck with me since. I think I'm a bigger fan now than my Dad is
Old 02-13-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vikings - Have no idea how. Growing up in San Diego and Oklahoma, maybe it was all the talk when I was a kid of the purple people eaters, but I have been a Vike fan for as long as I can remember.

Blackhawks - Have family from Chicago and this was the first NHL team I knew of and paid attention to as a kid.

Bulls - Again family from Chicago, plus my grandmother is a HUGE bball fan, she played way back in the day, and she was always a Bulls fan.

Sooners - Home team, it is very nice when it is a solid tradition rich team to boot.
Old 02-13-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location. Always pull for the home town Spurs, but the fact they are such a class organization helps.

Always pull for the Texas teams because I'm a homer.
Old 02-13-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by B.A.hist
49ers - living overseas we were only able to watch the Super Bowl. I became enamored w/ Montana, Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and Co.
You forgot TOM RATHMAN! (I know you said and Co., but still)

Im a Niners fan because Im from California, duh. But having the studs didnt hurt either.

I like the Detroit Red Wings because I like any hockey team Brett Hull play(ed)s for.
Old 02-13-04, 07:03 PM

Hope.

(Sworn Cubs fan)