Reload this Page >

Dave Stewart an agent?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Dave Stewart an agent?

Old 02-11-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave Stewart an agent?

Could someone post the text of the ESPN Insiders article about Dave Stewart's new career as an agent.

I had thought that he was being groomed as a GM.
Old 02-11-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did he give up his solo career after the Eurythmics? If so, they should probably reunite rather than him being a sports agent and Annie Lenox doing her own thing. They need to cash in while the 80s nostalgia is hot.
Old 02-11-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you talking about the pitcher from the A's?
Old 02-11-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am, but aphex wasnt.
Old 02-12-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have the text of the article, but the local sports talk station here in the Bay Area interviewed him a few days ago. I don't remember it all, but he will be Eric Chavez's (A's 3b) agent I think...
Old 02-12-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found the local article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGNB4K4JS1.DTL

A former A's great is aligned with a current Oakland star, and the combination might ensure that the team is able to keep one of its best around longer than other home-grown sensations, such as Jason Giambi and Miguel Tejada.

Dave Stewart, the 1989 World Series MVP, has moved into the player agent business, and his first major client is Eric Chavez, the A's third baseman. So Stewart's initial challenge in his new role is working on a long-term extension for Chavez, who will be a free agent at the end of the season.

"All things being equal, Eric would like to stay in Oakland,'' Stewart said by phone this week. "At this point, I don't foresee any problem getting this thing done, but you never know what (the A's) financial situation is. Eric and Billy (Beane, the A's GM) have a nice relationship, and we should be able to get this working.''

Stewart was certified to be an agent in November, and although other ex- players have served as representatives before, the four-time 20-game winner is the most high profile -- and has the most intriguing resume as far as potential clients go, because he also served in both the A's and Blue Jays' front offices.

In fact, it generally was believed that Stewart would become a general manager, but after he was bypassed for Toronto's job following the 2001 season and wasn't contacted for other openings, he abandoned that plan. At the time, he and others believed that racism played a part in his failed GM hunt.

"He wasn't even called, that's the amazing thing,'' said long-time baseball agent David Sloane, who conducted several player negotiations with Stewart when Stewart was with Toronto. "Considering that some of the people who got jobs were no more qualified than he is, I was surprised.

"In our society, to say that racism played no part in any decision would be a very difficult statement to make, but I really don't know. I think, candidly, that there's a good possibility that Dave has too much of his own mind (from an owner's standpoint), but I think he would have been a great GM. He would have had a tremendous impact.''

Stewart has moved on, however. "When I left Toronto, I made it very, very clear there was no doubt there were obstacles (for minorities interested in GM jobs) and since then, more GM jobs have come up, and there are more qualified minority candidates, and none of them have been hired,'' Stewart said. "As far as trying to be a GM, there's no sense in trying to knock on a door that isn't going to open.

"But this (new job) has nothing to do with the fact I didn't become a GM. I like to negotiate, I have the gift and the ability to do it, I'm trusted in the industry and I still have a lot of contacts left in baseball. So it's a natural move to make.''

J.P. Ricciardi, once Beane's right-hand man in Oakland and now holder of that Toronto GM job, thinks Stewart suits the bill perfectly.

"He's been a player, he's been on management side, he knows all the ins and outs of the business,'' Ricciardi said. "That's what a player is looking for. So I think Dave will be successful. He's got so many resources.''

Stewart lives in San Diego, Chavez's hometown, and has known Chavez since he was in high school, so when Chavez parted ways with his former representatives, the Beverly Hills Sports Council, after last season, he eventually called Stewart.

"He visited, and we shook hands the same day,'' said Stewart, who has about 10 other clients who will be on 40-man rosters.

Next up: extending Chavez's deal, something the A's couldn't do with either Giambi or Tejada, although Beane has said since last spring that he wants to get Chavez signed before this season begins. Perhaps not so coincidentally, Jermaine Dye's $11.667 million/year deal is up at the end of the season.

"It's a good start that Dave is someone I know well and get along with,'' Beane said.
Old 02-13-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN Insider

Billy Beane's knack for producing winners in Oakland with a small-market payroll has been well-chronicled. He's also having no problems, as far as we can tell, coping with the anticipated industry backlash from "Moneyball."

Now he's on to an equally imposing challenge: A negotiating table staredown with Dave Stewart, no bats allowed.

Dave Stewart is entering a new phase in his post-playing career.
Stewart, who's had his fill of coaching and abandoned his quest to run a major-league front office, is shifting to Phase C of his post-playing career: He's become a certified agent and will play a role in determining whether Oakland's latest marquee free agent, Eric Chavez, stays with the organization or follows Jason Giambi and Miguel Tejada out of town.

Stewart and Beane, teammates on a World Championship Oakland club in 1989 and front-office colleagues under Sandy Alderson in 1996, will be chatting regularly over the phone and face-to-face during spring training in Arizona. The good news is, they have a mutual respect and professional rapport that have created a nice comfort zone.

"We can cut thru the BS and jump over steps in a way I might not normally do with other guys," Beane said. "There's no posturing with Stew."

This isn't what Stewart envisioned when he climbed on the executive track in Toronto several years ago. When the Blue Jays passed him over for J.P. Ricciardi during their 2001 general manager search and Stewart cited racism as a factor in the decision, he essentially torched his GM aspirations. People who understood Stewart's frustration or considered his comments misguided generally agreed on one thing: Diplomacy is not the man's strong suit.

"He should have gotten a chance in Toronto," said Tony Attanasio, Stewart's long-time agent. "But it didn't happen, and I'm sure he was hurt by that. He felt that maybe baseball had turned its back on him."

Stewart worked as a pitching coach for the Milwaukee Brewers and the Team USA squad that failed to qualify for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. He entered the agent business at the urging of Doran Major, a former Philadelphia Eagles defensive back who once represented football players. The two became friends when Stewart played in Toronto and Major ran a popular restaurant in the city, and they were involved in several charitable projects together.

Their agency, Sports Management Partners, represents about 15 players. Last summer Stewart and Major served as "advisers" for Kevin Vital and Dewon Day, former Southern University teammates of top Milwaukee prospect Rickie Weeks. The agency's other clients include perennial Pittsburgh prospect J.J. Davis and Texas minor-league infielder Jason Bourgeois.

"I watched clubs pass Dave by for three or four years, and I could see what a mistake they were making," Major said. "I suggested to him, 'At some point, when you get tired of the chase, let's get on the other side of the ball and teach them all a lesson. Let's show them what a good choice they could have made.' "

Last April, when Stewart dropped by the Oakland clubhouse and made it known he might become an agent, Chavez expressed an interest. In November, Stewart was in Baton Rouge, La., sharing a chicken dinner with Southern University coach Roger Cador when his mobile phone rang. It was Chavez, who had left his former agents, the Beverly Hills Sports Council, and was looking for new representation.

Stewart has several attributes that players might find valuable in an agent. He's negotiated contracts from management's end. He's computer savvy and people-friendly. And he knows baseball from the dual vantage point of a 20-game winner and a disposable commodity who was traded twice and released.

Attanasio has frequently invoked Stewart's name to inspire young clients through the years.

"I remember trying to get him a job one year and a very famous general manager told me, 'He couldn't pitch for our Double-A team,' " Attanasio said. "Then Stew signs with Oakland and goes on to stardom when he's 29. I tell kids that story, because sometimes it happens late in life."

Like, say, age 45? Stewart recognizes the possibility of a twist here, with him stumbling into a new career because he failed to achieve the goal he desired most. Maybe the accidental agent turns out to be really good at it. "This may be my niche," he said.

He also has a chance to make a mark in an area with sparse African-American representation. Larry Reynolds, a former Stanford athlete and the brother of former big-leaguer and current ESPN analyst Harold Reynolds, is the most prominent black baseball agent. He doesn't have much company.

While Scott Boras, Casey Close and Attanasio are among the successful agents who played baseball in the minors, it's a rare thing for an established big leaguer to take that career path. Joe Sambito, who spent 11 years as a pitcher with Houston, Boston and the Mets and now works for SFX, is among the notable exceptions.

Once Stewart gets established, he can probably count on name recognition to help expand his client base. Like his mentor, Attanasio, he plans to exercise restraint in a business rife with predators. "We will not recruit players," Stewart said. "They're going to come to us by referral. But we definitely won't be stealing somebody else's."

For what it's worth, Chavez's contract talks will keep Stewart's name in the papers. Beane certainly sounds optimistic. Chavez wants to stay, the A's want to keep him, and there's a lot more hope in the air than there was with Giambi or Tejada.

This much is certain: Beane won't be intimidated by Chavez's agent.

"Stew's a kitten," Beane said, laughing.

Last edited by Bushdog; 02-13-04 at 09:45 PM.