Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it just me, or is that Packers loss still painful?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-13-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I'm still thinking about that game. My brain keeps playing different "what if" scenarios. Sure, woulda coulda shoulda, but anytime someone in the office mentions football, I think, "Damn, we were this close."

Ouch. That was a painful loss. I think I would've rather seen a blowout.
Old 01-13-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a Red Sox fan, I know how you feel.
Old 01-13-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
It's you. Of course, the Pack 'won' for me.
Old 01-13-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by James W. Powell
Ouch. That was a painful loss. I think I would've rather seen a blowout.
Totally agree.

And for a very brief minute at the end of the first quarter, I actually thought the Pack would.

I told myself about 12-13 years ago: "as long as they win the Super Bowl once before I die, I'll be happy". This was just after the infamous Infante years, and I truly never thought it would happen. But, it did. Everything that has happened in the playoffs since, although painful at times, just doesn't linger as much anymore.
Old 01-13-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
As a Red Sox fan, I know how you feel...
As a Red Sox fan, I've lost track - too many times - I'm not bitter (really...no really).
Old 01-13-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...2F4316244.html

Packer fans suffering sudden-loss depression, therapist says

Published January 13, 2004

The sudden-death nature of the loss which eliminated the Green Bay Packers from the National Football League playoffs has intensified the feelings felt this week by the team's supporters, a psychologist who is an avid fan says.

``Sudden loss can lead to mild dysphoria, a depression that can interrupt normal eating and sleeping patterns,'' Greg Bushman of Mequon said.

``We need to make sense of it, so we talk to our friends, we play things back in our heads again and again to make it real,'' he added.

Bushman said the fans identify very strong with the team.

``Their loss becomes your loss,'' he said. ``It feels more personal.''

Christina Angelici, a clinical therapist at All Saints Health Care in Racine, said one factor that contributed to people's despair with the loss was the heightened emotional attachment to the Packers brought on by the Dec. 21 death of quarterback Brett Favre's father, Irvin.

A lot of people, including some who have lost loved ones themselves, were pulling for the Packers to win as a way for Favre to cope with his father's death, she said.

``Many people had more of an emotional connection with the team,'' Angelici said. ``This definitely touched a bigger audience.''

She said that, while everyone wants their home team to win, she said, fans have to realize the players can make mistakes.

``These are men playing their best, but they're just human,'' she said. ``They played a good game. One thing you can say about the Packer fans, is they support them win or lose.''

For people still struggling with the loss, Angelici recommended that they look closer at their lives to see if there are other causes for their problems.

``It's probably something bigger than the Packer game,'' said Angelici, adding that it is common for seemingly unrelated events to bring up deeper feelings of loss or vulnerability.
Old 01-13-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like the way I felt beginning October 17th, 2003.
Old 01-13-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try the Giants-SF game from last year, it's still painful.
Old 01-13-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, it was THE greatest game I ever had the pleasure of attending.
Old 01-13-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CRM114, going into half time, or even into the fourth quarter, did you think Phily had a shot? Did you think the Packers were playing a better game? What did the crowd feel like BEFORE the 4th and 26 pass?
Old 01-13-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

James - During the 1st quarter, it was bleak. Thr 14-0 score and the frigid cold looked like last year's NFC Title game all over again. It seemed as if Reid had no answers. It seemed that way (to me) up the goal line stand - 4 shots and no points. That left the score 14-7 at halftime - still very winnable. The Eagles have been doing it that way all year.

Then, in the 4th quarter, the Eagles couldn't stop the Packers, up 17-14. It was looking really bleak. The fans were very discouraged but then it happened. Sherman chooses to punt. The fans were sighing after each Ahman Green run and were amazed that they didn't run it, we were all resigned to the fact that they'd get it.

When Sherman sent in the punt team, it was seriously like the heavens opened and I could hear a harp strumming. I looked at the clock and there was 2:30 remaining. The table was set. Normal situtations call for a punt there but you are saying with 100% confidence that you will stop Donovan McNabb with 2 1/2 minutes remaining (after he did the same damn thing to you several weeks ago) is a big stretch.

After the game was tied, everyone KNEW the game would be won. Then OT came and the Eagles won the toss. Then they went 3 and out and the realization set in that Favre now has his chance. In another miracle, Favre throws the duck and we are all watching Dawkins, as if in slow motion, run it into field goal range.

The game was the most exhilarating thing I ever witnessed. Just episode after episode of great things happening. The fans were overjoyed afterwards. The cops, security, food vendors, fans all hugging and high fiving.
Old 01-13-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's the way it was after the Packers/Broncos game. It's crazy to hear what the fans thought. This tells me that Sherman "should've" went for it on 4th and 1. I thought he made the right decision since the Eagles were forced to a 4th and 26, but hearing you say that the fans were discouraged, well, maybe the TV doesn't show everything.

It felt to me that the Football Gods frowned on the Packers for some reason. Almost like the entire game was a big tease. Here's destiny at the door, all you have to do is knock. But we didn't.

Glad you had a good time at my team's expense. Well, kind of anyway.
Old 01-13-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It felt to me that the Football Gods frowned on the Packers for some reason.
Not going for it at 4th and 1 at the end was the cause of this.
Old 01-13-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

James - Sorry man but we Eagles fans have the ultimate in pain. We all felt and feel it was destiny for the Eagles to win! How often do you get to 3 NFC title games in a row. We're already sat through 2 straight losses and I'm afraid to see what happens if there is a 3rd. Most everyone I know has never seen the Eagles win a championship (1960). You guys had yours.

And you are right, 4th and 26 was a deciding play however Sherman put them in that position. If they simply ran Ahman Green on 4th and 1, he would have made it. I'm positive about that.
Old 01-13-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
That's the way it was after the Packers/Broncos game. It's crazy to hear what the fans thought. This tells me that Sherman "should've" went for it on 4th and 1. I thought he made the right decision since the Eagles were forced to a 4th and 26, but hearing you say that the fans were discouraged, well, maybe the TV doesn't show everything.

Yep - the more and more I have thought about it, I think Sherman did the right thing. People say he should have done the opposite, but then they cut the game off at that point. You can't do that. It led to a 4th & 26 play for the defense. Great odds there.

Same goes for Martz. They cut the game off at the point of where he decided to play it safe and go for 3. That decision resulted in them twice having 1st downs inside the Panther 40 in OT. Good odds there.

The coach who really deserves blame for bad decision-making is Vermeil for not going for the onside kick after pulling within 7. Somehow, he seemed to slip through the Monday Morning Quarterbacking unscathed, yet that is the most indefensible decision of the 3. Terrible odds here.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-13-04 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game makes me wonder why I follow this sport.
Old 01-13-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This tells me that Sherman "should've" went for it on 4th and 1.
Here's what went through my mind during that play:

---Brett's barking off orders, he's trying to draw them off-sides
---No surprise, doesn't work
---He's stepping away like they're calling a time out
---He's going back to the line, he's going to run the play this time.

I thought for sure they were trying to psych 'em out at first, but then really get them standing still by running the play after they were expecting the draw off. No such luck
Old 01-13-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, the Packers ran a 4th and 1 earlier in the season. I'm not even sure Favre said a word. The second he stood over center, he got the ball and handed to Green, who managed to run over 20 yards.

I love that idea. Quick and dirty.
Old 01-13-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, Chew, do you know of any place in Green Bay or nearby areas that would sell the Broncos/Packers gameday program? That's my only trip to Lambeau and I didn't get one.
Old 01-13-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, Chew, do you know of any place in Green Bay or nearby areas that would sell the Broncos/Packers gameday program? That's my only trip to Lambeau and I didn't get one.
I don't know of any place, but there's plenty of people I can ask and will get back to you.
Old 01-13-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you have to classify this one as a Level III loss (according to Bill Simmons:

Level III: The Guillotine
Definition: This one combines the devastation of the Broken Axle game with sweeping bitterness and hostility ... your team's hanging tough (hell, they might even be winning), but you can feel the inevitable breakdown coming, and you keep waiting for the guillotine to drop, and you just know it's coming -- you know it -- and when it finally comes, you're angry that it happened and you're angry at yourself for contributing to the debilitating karma ... these are the games when people end up whipping their remote controls against a wall or breaking their hands while pounding a coffee table ... too many of these and you'll end up in prison.

Best Example: Game 7 of the '97 World Series (Indians-Marlins), when Cleveland's Jose Mesa gave up the game-tying run in the ninth inning. Every Indians fan knew it was coming. Of course, the '97 World Series never happened, so it's probably a moot point. We need to get that one wiped out of the record books.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020528.html
Old 01-13-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
I don't know of any place, but there's plenty of people I can ask and will get back to you.
Thanks.

I'm of course willing to pay.
Old 01-13-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But it didn't come down to 4th an 26. You can't roll back time. Sherman had the opportunity to go for it and didn't. He didn't know it would be 4th and 26. Eagles could have drove down the field the first 3 downs. No one knows. He should have went for it - even Davenport got yards and the Eagles are depleted on the line ...
Old 01-13-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, I've had two painful losses that still hurt to this day.

2002 World Series Game 6 - Giants 5, Angels 0 with 8 outs to go. Angels win 6-5 to tie the series. Game 7 was a foregone conclusion. I should have bet my entire life on the Angels winning Game 7.

2000 Western Conference Finals Game 7 - Blazers lead LA by 15 in the 4th quarter. Miss 13 straight shots. Complete collapse.

At least in the NBA example I felt like the guillotine was coming, it was just a matter of time. But in the 2002 world series, I actually convinced myself, "Hey, this could be it! My team could win!". Talk about a stomach punch.

Nothing will ever compare to '86 Sox/Mets though.
Old 01-13-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone get this game out of my head! ARGH!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.