Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Mark Malone on ESPNews

Old 08-20-03, 10:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Mark Malone on ESPNews

I used to like Mark Malone in his NFL commentary or whatever it was I remember seeing him do in the last few years, but....

...is it just me or does he really stink on ESPNews? He makes mistakes or slight pauses in every other item it seems.

Was he demoted?
Old 08-21-03, 03:44 PM

I don't watch ESPNews that often, but is Malone an anchor? I am sure he is much more comfortable as a (football) commentator, seeing as how he played pro football, rather than a news anchor. I don't know that he would have the background in broadcasting to pull off a tennis segment or the X-Games results.
Old 08-21-03, 03:48 PM

Yep, he's an anchor on ESPNews now.

And he really stinks.
Old 05-12-05, 09:17 PM

Mark's Friend And Former Colleague

Hey Guys!

First Of All, Mark Is Awesome! Greatest Guy! He Had A Multi-million Dollar Offer From Cbs, That We All Here At Espn Wanted, But He Got. Espn Wouldn't Let Him Go, So He Dropped Out Of His Nfl Show. They Put Him On At 1am Espnnews To Piss Him Off, So He Purposely Screwed Up Just Enough To Piss Them Off Back. Needless To Say He's Making Millions At A Better Job! We All Miss Him In Bristol! And Before You Speak The Guy Is Waaaay Talented- A Better Journalist Than Most Of Us Who Studied It In College. How Else Do You Get To Work Ten Years At Espn As A Host/reporter/anchor. The Other Jocks Are Analysts, Not Journalsts. Think Before You Slander! Got It! Now, Go Flip Your Burgers!
Old 05-12-05, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Capital letters should be used in moderation. Much like drinking while posting...
Old 05-12-05, 09:22 PM

By The Way---who Do You Think Was The Sideline Reporter Before Suzie Kolber, Mark Malone. He Also Hosted The X-games, The Great Outdoor Games, Was A Reporter And Anchor For Sportscenter. When You Watched Nfl 2 Night--he Was The Anchor, Not The Analyst (commentator, As You Call It) I Hate Working My Ass Off For Idiots Like You, And Yes You Would Know Exactly Who I Am! I'm Sure You Have Posted Shit On Me Also. Maybe I'll Come To Your Work, And Talk About How You Suck! Bet It's Hard Washing Cars And Picking Up That Welfare Check!
Old 05-12-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SPORTSANCHOR
Hey Guys!

First Of All, Mark Is Awesome! Greatest Guy! He Had A Multi-million Dollar Offer From Cbs, That We All Here At Espn Wanted, But He Got. Espn Wouldn't Let Him Go, So He Dropped Out Of His Nfl Show. They Put Him On At 1am Espnnews To Piss Him Off, So He Purposely Screwed Up Just Enough To Piss Them Off Back. Needless To Say He's Making Millions At A Better Job! We All Miss Him In Bristol! And Before You Speak The Guy Is Waaaay Talented- A Better Journalist Than Most Of Us Who Studied It In College. How Else Do You Get To Work Ten Years At Espn As A Host/reporter/anchor. The Other Jocks Are Analysts, Not Journalsts. Think Before You Slander! Got It! Now, Go Flip Your Burgers!
Holy Shit. Its A Real Pain In The Ass To Capitalize The First Word In A Sentence.
Old 05-12-05, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Mark Malone is no David Hasselhoff. That cannot be debated.
Old 05-12-05, 09:26 PM

I don't drink, but thank you.....

Old 05-12-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Holy Shit. Its A Real Pain In The Ass To Capitalize The First Word In A Sentence.
I'm thinking (hoping) that it's the Caps filter doing its job.
Old 05-12-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I'm thinking (hoping) that it's the Caps filter doing its job.

Wow. Im not sure if that makes it worse. I AM A JOURNALIST!
Old 05-12-05, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the comments Sportsanchor and for the email with the lovely language. I see now my mistake. He is a great anchor, he was just purposely being bad.

Actually, this could be true, as I do stand by what I said in my original message 2 years ago.
Old 05-17-05, 10:26 PM

Finally, some closure on this topic...
Old 05-19-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this thread is messed up
Old 05-19-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

FYI, Mark Malone is now torturing the Chicagoland area as the sports anchor at the local CBS station.
Old 05-19-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

holy crap i jsu trealized that this thread is 2 years old.
Old 05-19-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yeah, the radio guys I listen to were giving Malone some crap on a couple of gaffes:

First, he called Wrigley Field Wrigley Stadium (how could you even live in Chicago, much less broadcast sports, and not know the proper name of that shithole on the north side).

Second, when discussing the Indy 500, he referred to female driver Danica Patrick as Patrick Danica.

Still, he sounds like an improvement over Mike Adamle (who has had some legendary mistakes, some really profane).
Old 05-19-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watch Chicago's WGN news every morning, and they're having tryouts for Mike Barz's Sports Anchor job. Real lousy auditions. Mostly young punks with no gift for inflection; I think they spend their time only practicing how to read without moving their eyes. Anyway, (1) these people are better than Mark Malone, and (2) what happened to Mike?

@ the closure comment

Edit: Nevermind, I found where he went.

WGN-TV: Anchor Roseanne Tellez has left the station and is at WBBM-TV Channel 2. Morning sports anchor Mike Barz has left Channel 9 to join the cast of ABC’s “Good Morning America.” Robin Baumgarten is morning news anchor.
Wow, he went national.

Last edited by rabbit77; 05-19-05 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-19-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good, I always found Barz way too smarmy and plastic.

Off-topic some more:

Actually, the only anchor I enjoy is Robin Baumgarten, and that's because I remember her doing traffic reports on the Loop way back in high school.

And Dean Richards, every time that celebrity ass-kisser is on I just want to smash his head in with a 2x4.

Still Channel 9 news in the morning is better than Fox or the national programs.
Old 05-19-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sundog
Good, I always found Barz way too smarmy and plastic.

Off-topic some more:

Actually, the only anchor I enjoy is Robin Baumgarten, and that's because I remember her doing traffic reports on the Loop way back in high school.

And Dean Richards, every time that celebrity ass-kisser is on I just want to smash his head in with a 2x4.

Still Channel 9 news in the morning is better than Fox or the national programs.
But by comparison to Bill Wier he doesn't seem so bad. Whatever happened to Weir, I know he moved out to do sports at KABC, be I thought he didn't work out there.