DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Kobe Bryant Charged with Sexual Assault (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/305998-kobe-bryant-charged-sexual-assault.html)

SleepyW 07-18-03 04:13 PM

Kobe Bryant Charged with Sexual Assault

Thought I'd start a new thread since he's now been charged (not just accused as previous thread).

Class 3 felony

Prison term 4 years to life

Probation 20 years to life

Next court date is Aug 6, 2003

Sounds like a rape charge: penetration and submission by force (to paraphrase the D.A.).

As far as I'm concerned, he's still innocent until proven guilty, and HIS provacy should be respected as much as the "victim's" (I feel the real victim of this charge will be revealed after a ruling is reached).

I'd still like to know what proof the D.A. has that she was forced other than her own hearsay. I will definitely be tuned into this court case for months to come.

Y2K Falcon 07-18-03 04:19 PM

Poor girl. :(

Joeboo835 07-18-03 04:26 PM

Anyone else have a feeling he actually did it? The DA didn't seem to want any part of the media, so i don't think its him trying to be a media wh0re.

Also, Kobe admitted he had sex with her.

I guess it all comes down to the "physical" evidence. If they have true physical evidence, and Kobe admitted to having sex with her, then I don't see how he's inoccent.

Should be very interesting.

Jeremy517 07-18-03 04:34 PM

Ongoing discussion here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=5

LurkerDan 07-18-03 04:37 PM

Yeah, do we really need 3 Kobe threads???

Y2K Falcon 07-18-03 04:51 PM

Originally posted by juiio
Ongoing discussion here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=5

The mods dislike threads > 200 posts, which the other thread is at. A new thread is needed for ongoing discussion (and the new "do you think he will be charged" seems least suited for it, imho).

Deftones 07-18-03 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Poor girl. :(
you assume the charges are true. always innocent until proven guilty.

Jeremy517 07-18-03 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
The mods dislike threads > 200 posts, which the other thread is at. A new thread is needed for ongoing discussion (and the new "do you think he will be charged" seems least suited for it, imho).
To be fair, it is still below 200 and the last 30 or so posts are post-charges.

monkeyboy 07-18-03 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Joeboo835
I guess it all comes down to the "physical" evidence. If they have true physical evidence, and Kobe admitted to having sex with her, then I don't see how he's inoccent.

You can be guilty of having sex and innocent of sexual assault, that's what's at stake here. There's no question that sex was had, just whetjer it was consentual.

classicman2 07-18-03 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Deftones
That presumption applies only in a court of law at the time of trial and to the trier(s) of the facts. Anyone else is free to believe he's guilty as hell.

Y2K Falcon 07-18-03 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Deftones
I meant his wife. I felt the same way about Liz Hurley. Now his indiscretion will be on public forum.

Deftones 07-18-03 05:05 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
That presumption applies only in a court of law at the time of trial and to the trier(s) of the facts. Anyone else is free to believe he's guilty as hell.
ahhh yes. then ignorance shall prevail. you are certainly welcome to believe whatever you wish. however, until all the facts come out at trial, and you aren't basing your opinion on what you hear on SportsCenter, then please don't bother us with baseless statements of "fact".

mrkent 07-18-03 07:51 PM

I got questions...

I was reading on ESPN and the kind of got me thinking...

"I am innocent of the charges filed today. I did not assault the woman who is accusing me," Bryant said in the statement. "I made the mistake of adultery. I have to answer to my wife and my God for my actions that night and I pray that both will forgive me."

He said he didn't do anything, now he says he's committed "adultery". To my understanding, that's consent sex, right?

Iron Chef 07-18-03 09:15 PM

hahahahahahaha

John Sy 07-18-03 09:59 PM

It's impossible! Someone who averages 30 points a game can't possibly be a rapist.

:)

ChiefJustice001 07-18-03 10:00 PM

Hahahahahahaha!

I hope he ROTS in jail for a looooonng time!

He should get 30 years alone for stupidity, but what can you expect from an uneducated high schooler?

Karma! Karma! Karma!

Jericho 07-18-03 11:54 PM

Originally posted by mrkent
I got questions...

"I am innocent of the charges filed today. I did not assault the woman who is accusing me," Bryant said in the statement. "I made the mistake of adultery. I have to answer to my wife and my God for my actions that night and I pray that both will forgive me."

He said he didn't do anything, now he says he's committed "adultery". To my understanding, that's consent sex, right?

He basically is saying he didn't rape her, or sexual assault per the Colorado law. So he is innocent of the crime he is charged with.

And you are right adultery is basically cheating on his wife. There's no actual law against it. At least to my knowledge.

Jericho 07-18-03 11:55 PM

Originally posted by ChiefJustice001
Hahahahahahaha!

I hope he ROTS in jail for a looooonng time!

He should get 30 years alone for stupidity, but what can you expect from an uneducated high schooler?

Karma! Karma! Karma!

Karma for what? Not going to college?

LurkerDan 07-18-03 11:56 PM

Originally posted by mrkent
I got questions...

Yes, his defense as I understand it is that he had consensual sex with her, which negates the intent necessary to be guilty of rape.

Jericho 07-18-03 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Joeboo835
Anyone else have a feeling he actually did it? The DA didn't seem to want any part of the media, so i don't think its him trying to be a media wh0re.

Also, Kobe admitted he had sex with her.

Should be very interesting.

Is still hard to believe. Even an NBA star has no need to "sexually assault" anyone. It's certainly possible, but incredibly stupid. Of course I live in a world of logic. I have no idea what world Kobe is living on.

Big Quasimodo 07-19-03 12:05 AM

My off-the-cuff gut reaction after watching his televised interview is that he is full of ****. And I am a Laker fan with a Bryant jersey. But his demeanor did not fill me with confidence that he is telling the truth - he appeared insincere to me.

Plus, I am usually pretty negative about adulterers. Not that I could guarantee how I would behave if I were in his circumstances (young, money, fame, adulation, ego, etc.) But I can guarantee that I haven't cheated on my wife in our 10 years of marriage (or any other time prior, thank you).

Just sharing my impressions....they may well change as the situation develops....

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 07-19-03 12:15 AM

another question i have is is this the first time he has committed adultery? and would he have admitted it if he wasn't charged?

Big Quasimodo 07-19-03 12:16 AM

Originally posted by D.Pham00
another question i have is is this the first time he has committed adultery?
That depends. Did Sosa only use a corked bat once? ;)

Patman 07-19-03 12:21 AM

I was watching a replay of Kobe's press conference on ESPN, and his mouth movements were so darn distracting.

I think his goose is cooked if the DA has forensic evidence of bruising and abrasions of the woman's genital region. The problem is how do you absolutely convince a jury that it was Kobe who inflicted those injuries, vs. the possibility of self-inflicted injuries, or getting another person to do the damage while trying to work some scam angle to the sexual encounter.

How would any jury know that it was Kobe who engaged in forcible sexual relations with this woman, over a scammed evidence of such injuries. I'm just throwing it out there because it's just as possible if it's a "he said she said" case.

immortal_zeus 07-19-03 12:22 AM

[Sean Connery] I'll have the rapists for $400 Alex. [/Sean Connery]

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif