Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Kobe Bryant Charged with Sexual Assault

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Kobe Bryant Charged with Sexual Assault

Old 07-19-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an idiot. You have a hot wife to boot.
Old 07-19-03, 09:08 AM

Location: Omaha, Nebraska Politics: Conservative Gender: Male
I haven't followed this closely, but didn't she go to his room with him? What would she think she was going there for, to look at pictures of his family and his dog?
Old 07-19-03, 10:06 AM
Suspended for multiple accounts

Look, not "needing" to rape anyone is hardly a vindicating factor
for Kobe.

NBA players beat their wives...do they "need" to do this? Can't they get a wife that doesn't anger them?

OJ KILLED his wife. Did he "need" to? Didn't women throw themselves at him?

If Kobe is guilty, and let's face it- the prosecutor wouldn't have dreamed of charging him without EVIDENCE, then he did what he did because he FELT like it, and because he probably believes that he is invincible and can do whatever he pleases.

To answer an earlier question about what I meant by Karma:

Here's a guy who did nothing in his life but enjoy himself (playing a sport) and was lucky enough to be born with the neccessary tools (6'7" height) to make more money than intelligent and hard working people will EVER see in their lives...

And because of BASIC STUPIDITY he might lose it all. That's what I meant by "Karma".

It's almost unbelievable how foolish these people really are...fortune, worldwide fame and all the girls you can handle and these idiots can't control themselves enough to keep such an easy life?

Let them rot.
Old 07-19-03, 12:09 PM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!
As a life-long Laker fan, I was just as dismayed by James Worthy being arrested for solicitation of prostitution. It was the same damn thing. James was married with a family. And Big Game still went on to be inducted into the hall of fame. Same with former Knick Bill Bradley, who also went on to a distinguished career in politics.

They all make mistakes. Am I extremely disappointed? Absolutely, same as I was with James. Same as I was with any of the players I like over the years. But I also don't hold them in higher regard than my family or friends. The media and fans get so caught up with the good/bad side of people.

I know I'm not perfect, so I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone.

Kobe admitted to having sex with the girl, and left it at that. If he's innocent of the charges, great. If he's guilty, then send him to jail. That's for a so-called jury of his peers to decide.
Old 07-19-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You have to admit that this story is HUGE because it's Kobe Bryant. If this was Iverson, Wallace, or whoever it'd be a big story for a different reason. Kobe is a posterchild, a nice black athlete who is a hero to black and whites alike. White America loves Kobe, which is why this story is so big...let's face it, that's why the media is running wild with this story.

There is so much god damn pressure on athletes these days, it's pretty much absurd. Millions of fathers have cheated on their wives and had serious allegations such as these, but you don't see them on the front page of every paper in the world, the next day. The fact that this story ranks almost as high as the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal shows you just how much NBA players, and someone like Kobe, have to deal with.

He cheated on his wife (hey, didn't Jordan?), admitted it, and is maintaining is innocence. If he is innocent, I will not view Kobe that much differently. He took a lot to say what he said at the press conference yesterday...and hell, everyone makes mistakes like this. Everyone. The man is human, and people can't fathom that I guess.

If he is guilty, that's a whole 'nother story I'll worry about at the time. But I think Kobe was an idiot for one night in Colorado and let his guard down. In this world with the media and pro athletes resembling God-like figures, a simple mistake like this can be the end. Crazy.
Old 07-19-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by El Scorcho
The 2003-2004 Portland Trailblazers -- only hurting ourselves, unlike other teams and their players.
Might want to get your facts straight...I know it's supposed to be a joke, but it's factual wrong...Ruben patterson smackled up the nanny--hence, hurting someone else. Nice try though.

It's not like Kobe lied to a grand jury or anything....
Old 07-19-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are 2 things about this whole case that really bother me:

1. The D.A. and sheriff keep referring to the girl as the "victim". They don't say "alleged victim" or plaintiff or accuser--they say VICTIM as if Kobe's already been convicted.

2. They keep pushing for HER right to provacy, but what about Kobe's? Her name hasn't even been released (due to the law, I believe), but Kobe's name gets splattered all over the media--again, he's not even convicted. This doesn't just go for Kobe--this goes for all men who are simply accused. If she has a legal or ethical right to privacy regarding this matter, doesn't Kobe?

Yes, he's a celebrity already, but this doesn't change the fact that he has as much right to anonymity regarding the alleged crime as the accuser--at least until a verdict is reached. If it turns out she lied, her name should be released. If he is found guilty, his name should be released. There's no reason we should even know about this until after the trial, IMO.

Last edited by SleepyW; 07-19-03 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deane Johnson
I haven't followed this closely, but didn't she go to his room with him? What would she think she was going there for, to look at pictures of his family and his dog?
Maybe he promised an autograph?
Old 07-19-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mytzplyx
Looks like you're the one that's "seriously misinformed." Yes, Iverson was granted CLEMENCY, but shortly after that in 1995, an appellate court OVERTURNED the conviction, and then prosecutors declared "nol pros", or discontinuance of prosecution.

Got that? Get your facts straight if you're gonna label him an ex-con. Oh, I was wrong about one thing. The firearms charge. They didn't charge him with that. They charged him with possession of marajuana because the firearms charge only stuck if there was more than 1 pound of marajuana in the car. There was one blunt. So yah, this ex-con's rap sheet is one blunt found in his car with friends.

Sorry for this thread hijack but I just wanted to correct a SERIOUSLY MISINFORMED poster.
I admit I didn't know about the conviction being overturned after the clemency. I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong.

But you're still wrong about the gun charge and the marijuana. He was charged with having a gun, and he pled no contest. And he had two blunts, not one.

Your original argument was that celebrities get it worse when they are arrested, and you are still wrong about that. If it wasn't for all the media hoopla (which received national coverage) of a promising young athlete, Allen Iverson being in prison, he probably wouldn't have gotten clemency. And the prosecutors probably declared "nol pros" because of his celebrity status. They probably didn't think it was worth the taxpayer's money or the trouble to try for another conviction considering the governor had granted clemency and all the media attention surrounding the case.
Old 07-19-03, 01:22 PM
Banned

Has he played the race card yet? I stress 'yet', since he will use it to get off. Damn white man holdin' a brotha' down.
Old 07-19-03, 01:43 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Deane Johnson
That doesn't matter. She could have simply changed her mind once things started to happen. Everyone has the right to say "no" at anytime, and the other party involved has to stop at the moment. Anything that happens after the "no" is against the other persons will, and turns into sexual assault.
Old 07-19-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by SleepyW
2. They keep pushing for HER right to provacy, but what about Kobe's? Her name hasn't even been released (due to the law, I believe), but Kobe's name gets splattered all over the media--again, he's not even convicted. This doesn't just go for Kobe--this goes for all men who are simply accused. If she has a legal or ethical right to privacy regarding this matter, doesn't Kobe?

Yes, he's a celebrity already, but this doesn't change the fact that he has as much right to anonymity regarding the alleged crime as the accuser--at least until a verdict is reached. If it turns out she lied, her name should be released. If he is found guilty, his name should be released. There's no reason we should even know about this until after the trial, IMO.
He simply doesn't have the same right. That's the fact. Legally, you have no constitutional or statutory right to privacy if you have been arrested/charged with a crime. If you disagree with that, go talk to those 9 black-robed freaks in Washington. However, many laws protect the identity of rape victims. You may not like this right now, but if your daughter/wife/sister/mother was raped, this is PRECISELY how you would think it should be.

And trust me, you will know her identity before too long. You will see just why they try to keep the victim's name secret: she will be subjected to a smear campaign like you've never seen, mark my words.
Old 07-19-03, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are 2 things about this whole case that really bother me:

1. They are acting in a manner consistent with all prosecutors and law enforcement personnel. In their estimation there is enough evidence to consider the girl the victim, so they do. Saying anything differently would undermine their own cause.

2. No, Kobe does not have the same right to privacy in this instance.
Old 07-19-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The girl's name, history, pictures, family, friends and so forth will all be out within next week or so. If recent history has taught us anything, its going to be a circus from here on out.
Old 07-19-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LurkerDan

And trust me, you will know her identity before too long. You will see just why they try to keep the victim's name secret: she will be subjected to a smear campaign like you've never seen, mark my words.
I visited a Lakers board and a lot of the people there already started the smear campaign. I think the alleged victim's name was posted as well as links to pictures (cheerleader and prom pictures).

Eventually, the entire public will know.
Old 07-19-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone else hear that there were people in the surrounding rooms complaining about noise from Bryant's room?

That could lead to possible witnesses in addition to any physical evidence.

BTW...the lip licking was even more annoying considering there were three bottles of water right in front of him.

Take a drink during one of those long dramatic pauses!
Old 07-19-03, 06:52 PM
Banned

true
Old 07-19-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth ChiefJustice001 <HR SIZE=1>Here's a guy who did nothing in his life but enjoy himself (playing a sport) and was lucky enough to be born with the neccessary tools (6'7" height) to make more money than intelligent and hard working people will EVER see in their lives...<HR SIZE=1>

What are you talking about? The assumption that Kobe isn't intelligent or hard working simply because you're jealous of his success is absurd. You don't become one of the best basketball players in the world because you happened to be born a badass (I know quite a few 6'7" people who can't play ball for ****). I can't even begin to imagine the countless hours of "hard work" he must have gone through and continues to go through to remain at the top. As for intelligence, who knows what kind of book smarts he has, but you don't construct the persona he has by being a dumbass. He's been incredibly market and media savvy since entering the league, which is pretty impressive for a kid right out of high school.

If it turns out he's guilty, it certainly is a stupid move, but that hardly excludes him from the intelligent and hard working community. And he'd hardly be the first to screw up something good because of bad decision making in the sack. It doesn't take a rich superstar to ruin his life because of something stupid. People do it every day. It's just not on the news. Holding him to a higher standard because he's worked his ass off to achieve success is just spiteful jealousy.

Forgive the rant, but I'm tired of reading how the rest of us are entitled to all these riches when I seriously doubt any of us is working as hard in our professions as professional athletes work in theirs. I hate the Lakers as much as the next guy (and if he's guilty, send him to prison and cut off his dong), but they're still human beings and don't deserve to be treated like scum just because we wish we could sit on our lazy asses and magically become rich and famous.

As for the adultery thing, I agree that it's none of our business. That's between him and his wife. I don't care how famous he is; it's none of our business, and I have no problem with him not addressing it until he was actually charged with a crime. Personally, I think his wife should drop his ass and take half his stuff after planting a stiletto in his nutsack, but if she wants to stick by him, that's really her business not mine.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 07-19-03 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
RE: all the hard work:

Anyone catch Carmelo Anthony's speech at the Espys when he was named College Athelete of the Year? After a few obligatory 'thank yous' and props, he thanked himself. He went on to say HE was the one who did all the hard work, HE was the won who got up early to run, HE was the one who spent countless hours in the gym shooting hundreds of Js a day, He was the one who did one more rep in the weight room, etc......
Old 07-19-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LurkerDan
He simply doesn't have the same right. That's the fact. Legally, you have no constitutional or statutory right to privacy if you have been arrested/charged with a crime. If you disagree with that, go talk to those 9 black-robed freaks in Washington. However, many laws protect the identity of rape victims. You may not like this right now, but if your daughter/wife/sister/mother was raped, this is PRECISELY how you would think it should be.

I think you missed my point. I'm saying that both her and Kobe's names should be kept anonymous until a verdict is reached. I understand the law...that's why I made the point that I don't agree with it because of how the accused gets treated before found guilty (or innocent).
Old 07-19-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-19-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth SleepyW <HR SIZE=1>I think you missed my point. I'm saying that both her and Kobe's names should be kept anonymous until a verdict is reached. I understand the law...that's why I made the point that I don't agree with it because of how the accused gets treated before found guilty (or innocent). <HR SIZE=1>

When you accuse someone of something, you simply tell the authorities what happened, and then it's up to them to proceed from there. When you're arrested for a crime, you're immediately in the "system," and it would be a virtual impossibility to keep the suspect anonymous even if you wanted to. Remember, while the issue may boil down to he said/she said, in the criminal courts, it's not Lady vs. Kobe (Alleged Victim vs. Suspect). He's been charged of a crime by the State of Colorado. While she may attempt to remain anonymous, the two parties in the court case -- the state and the defendent -- are public, and really can't be anonymous.

das
Old 07-19-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
I think you missed my point. I'm saying that both her and Kobe's names should be kept anonymous until a verdict is reached. I understand the law...that's why I made the point that I don't agree with it because of how the accused gets treated before found guilty (or innocent).
that's the beauty of the legal system. the accused get to have their name dragged through the mud, but the victim's name is not released to the public.
Old 07-19-03, 08:11 PM

One thing that bothers me about the whole thing is the fact that Kobe waited until after he was charged to confess to adultery. He has obviously known since it happened that he had sex with this woman and most likely was just waiting until he made sure there was actual physical evidence of the act before admitting to sex with her. Probably, if there was no physical evidence, he would have denied the whole thing ever happened.

This happens all the time in cases of alleged sexual assault. The man accused will either make no statements or deny ever touching the alleged victim. Then the DNA results come in and it's like "... oh yeah, I had sex with her but it was all consensual ... ".

But it also bothers me that the DA's office was also waiting for the results of the DNA tests to even charge Kobe. There can be numerous legitimate reasons why there would be no DNA or other physical evidence present. This does NOT mean she wasn't sexually assaulted. I have a feeling that if there hadn't been an physical evidence - Kobe never would have been charged even though he very well may have committed the crime. The DA probably wouldn't have wanted to go forward with just a victim's statement in such a high profile case.
Old 07-19-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Nickee <HR SIZE=1>I have a feeling that if there hadn't been an physical evidence - Kobe never would have been charged even though he very well may have committed the crime. The DA probably wouldn't have wanted to go forward with just a victim's statement in such a high profile case. <HR SIZE=1>

And what's wrong with that? Charging someone with a crime without any evidence? That's just a waste of taxpayers' money, because you'll never get a conviction, high profile or not.

As for the adultery thing, as I already said, it's really no one's business (but his wife). If I'm ever charged with a crime, even if I'm completely innocent, I'm keeping my trap shut; and I'd assume you'd do the same thing. Famous or not, it's not his responsibility to inform the public whom he's banging, unless he's charged with a crime ... which hadn't happened yet. There's a reason we have the 5th ammendment. The burden of proof is on the accuser. I guess it would have been noble of him to come clean on the adultery from day one, but it also would have been incredibly stupid, especially if he's innocent. Lying about it would be one thing, but I don't fault him for just keeping quiet until charged. As I said, I'd keep my mouth shut too. Of course, if I had a hot wife and fame beyond belief, I wouldn't be banging strange women in hotel rooms either ... I'd likely be too strung out on blow to get it up.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.