Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Kobe Bryant Charged with Sexual Assault

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Kobe Bryant Charged with Sexual Assault

Old 07-19-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that Kobe was sorry that he was caught committing adultery. I don't think he was sorry for committing it in the first place. These cases do nothing to dispel the notion that these athletes are into getting their freak on when they are on the road, and needing some attention downstairs.
Old 07-19-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to the ESPN article, he could get life in prison? I know that's probably a longshot, but seems pretty severe when murderers get off with less than that.

The 24-year-old Los Angeles Lakers' guard faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation if convicted of the single felony count, Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said.
Old 07-19-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by johnglass
According to the ESPN article, he could get life in prison? I know that's probably a longshot, but seems pretty severe when murderers get off with less than that.
But there's also the possibility of 20 years of probation with no prison time. I don't think murderers usually get that option.
Old 07-19-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They get a life sentence if the convicted felon presents themselves as a menace to society (repeat offender, and their ilk).

The normal/average sentence is 4 to 12 years for this type of conviction.
Old 07-19-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I was watching a replay of Kobe's press conference on ESPN, and his mouth movements were so darn distracting.

I think his goose is cooked if the DA has forensic evidence of bruising and abrasions of the woman's genital region. The problem is how do you absolutely convince a jury that it was Kobe who inflicted those injuries, vs. the possibility of self-inflicted injuries, or getting another person to do the damage while trying to work some scam angle to the sexual encounter.

How would any jury know that it was Kobe who engaged in forcible sexual relations with this woman, over a scammed evidence of such injuries. I'm just throwing it out there because it's just as possible if it's a "he said she said" case.
Actually, I would think his chances of conviction are about nil. Going beyond the fact that he's a celebrity with a high powered lawyer team, which jurys tend to go light on, he's got a few things in his favor.
1) He's Kobe Bryant. Women everywhere would throw themselves at him. He wouldn't need to rape anyone. This alone can cause reasonable doubt.
2) The woman in the case likely consented to a least going up to his room. If they can prove she willing went to his room (I'm not sure they can), then that's another step towards reasonable doubt.
3) It's very likely that his posse memebrs will stick up for him and provide friendly witnesses.
4) and then there's always the possibility that they get some character witnesses or evidence to counter the girl. Another possible strike to reasonable doubt.

Which, probably can only be overcome with convincing physical evidence. Which I don't know exists, but seems unlikely. I mean how exact is science in these areas?

Also, I heard something interesting on ESPN. They said that Kobe went to the ESPYs witht he belief he wasn't going to be charged. Does that mean the evidence is only so-so, or was he just misinformed?
Old 07-19-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think if Kobe did not change his story, he would have more credibility at this point.

Regardless of the fact he raped the girl or not, he should have admitted to committing adultery if that was all that happened.

Personally, Kobe didn't seem believable in that press conference.
Old 07-19-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe he raped her but I'm still hurt that he would at least cheat on his wife. I'm a Laker fan from long ago but never was a big Kobe fan. I'm glad for that because if I had his jersey I would have to throw it out now. I lost a lot of respect for him for doing this to his wife and family. His wife should leave him and take half his money. I hate cheaters, something I would never do.
Old 07-19-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I LOVE THIS!

LAKER FANS TURNING ON KOBE!!

Keep on *****in', Kobe-ster!
Old 07-19-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, whatever happens, Kobe's becoming this year's "Cheater" poster child, which ain't a good thing!
Old 07-19-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
Also, I heard something interesting on ESPN. They said that Kobe went to the ESPYs witht he belief he wasn't going to be charged. Does that mean the evidence is only so-so, or was he just misinformed?
Or just another arrogant "I can get away with it" NBA Superstar...
Old 07-19-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can see it on Sportscenter now --

The Lakers, without star guard/forward Kobe Bryant -- who is on the injured reserve list for the next 4 to 6 years -- were beaten so badly tonight by the Spurs, it was like they were in a Colorado hotel room!
Old 07-19-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they can sign a Blazer at the veteran minimum who can introduce them to pot, a victimless crime!
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Edge
I think if Kobe did not change his story, he would have more credibility at this point.

Regardless of the fact he raped the girl or not, he should have admitted to committing adultery if that was all that happened.

Personally, Kobe didn't seem believable in that press conference.
I'd agree his credibility has been hurt by not coming out earlier, however you have to be realistic. Are you going to public admit to the entire world that you committed adultery? Telling your wife is one thing, but announcing to the public is totally different. I can imagine he hoped he wouldn't have to say anything and hurt his image. And I can imagine 99.9% of other people in the situation would do the same thing. No say a word until you have to.
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, this event will certainly bolster the Blazers' PR image

The 2003-2004 Portland Trailblazers -- only hurting ourselves, unlike other teams and their players.
Old 07-19-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Yes, this event will certainly bolster the Blazers' PR image

The 2003-2004 Portland Trailblazers -- only hurting ourselves, unlike other teams and their players.
Damon Stoudamire giving a whole new meaning to the term Trailblazer.

Old 07-19-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kobe seems to be taking the whole "Next Jordan" thing too literally. Now all he needs is a few more rings, a failed baseball career, a few retirements, and a few failed attempts to buy a basketball franchise and their two lives will totally mirror each other!

Old 07-19-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Whoever said it was right, you don't need to lick your ****ing lips every time you say a word.

The conference for those that missed it:

I love my wife
I'm innocent
*licks lips*
I'm innocent
I love my wife with all my heart
I appreciate the support
I'm innocent
*licks lips*
I just love my wife more than anything
She's my backbone
I'm innocent
*licks lips*
I sit here before you, embarrased
*licks lips*
I'm innocent
She's the light of my life
If I could turn back time...
*licks lips*
I'm innocent
Thank you.

You're all welcome for the transcript
Old 07-19-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Kobe seems to be taking the whole "Next Jordan" thing too literally. Now all he needs is a few more rings, a failed baseball career, a few retirements, and a few failed attempts to buy a basketball franchise and their two lives will totally mirror each other!

You forgot having a gambling problem.
Old 07-19-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Or just another arrogant "I can get away with it" NBA Superstar...
Hey, OJ got away with murder...
Old 07-19-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You forgot having a gambling problem.
Kobe has 4 letters. So does Mike.

Bryant has 6 letters. So does Jordan.

Old 07-19-03, 02:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Quake1028
Whoever said it was right, you don't need to lick your ****ing lips every time you say a word.

The conference for those that missed it:

I love my wife
I'm innocent
*licks lips*
I'm innocent
I love my wife with all my heart
I appreciate the support
I'm innocent
*licks lips*
I just love my wife more than anything
She's my backbone
I'm innocent
*licks lips*
I sit here before you, embarrased
*licks lips*
I'm innocent
She's the light of my life
If I could turn back time...
*licks lips*
I'm innocent
Thank you.

You're all welcome for the transcript
Not nearly enough *licks lips* in there.
Old 07-19-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Kobe takes some 'behind the back passes' in prison.
Old 07-19-03, 03:27 AM

i highly doubt kobe going to prison.
Old 07-19-03, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are seriously misinformed. Allen Iverson had a rap sheet before the gun arrest. He was arrested for his role in a bowling alley brawl. The guy was in prison for four months. And all of this was before he became famous.

It's true. AI is an ex-con.

AI had a prior record and was found to have drugs and a gun. But he served no time. I think his celebrity status helped him instead of hurting him.

Celebrities and athletes get off the hook much more easily than the regular Joe who commits a crime. Just look at Chris Webber. He won't be doing anytime for perjury in court.

Looks like you're the one that's "seriously misinformed." Yes, Iverson was granted CLEMENCY, but shortly after that in 1995, an appellate court OVERTURNED the conviction, and then prosecutors declared "nol pros", or discontinuance of prosecution.

Got that? Get your facts straight if you're gonna label him an ex-con. Oh, I was wrong about one thing. The firearms charge. They didn't charge him with that. They charged him with possession of marajuana because the firearms charge only stuck if there was more than 1 pound of marajuana in the car. There was one blunt. So yah, this ex-con's rap sheet is one blunt found in his car with friends.

Sorry for this thread hijack but I just wanted to correct a SERIOUSLY MISINFORMED poster.
Old 07-19-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Yes, his defense as I understand it is that he had consensual sex with her, which negates the intent necessary to be guilty of rape.
He wouldn't have had he know that the physical evidence (DNA, for example) was available. If it wasn't, I seriously doubt if he would have made that "heart rendering" statement. His legal team had to have a story to tell if that evidence was available, and it was, and he told that story. His loving wife went right along with it - like what else is she going to do?

What amazes me, no it really doesn't, is some of the responses from the Laker fans when questioned by the media on the subect. One response: He' critical for us winning the championship next year - that's what really matters.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.