Reload this Page >

2003 World Series of Poker on ESPN tonight

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-08-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up for those who like to watch poker. Tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern ESPN will air the 2003 World Series.

I hope it is more competitive than last year's WSOP where Robert Varkonyi lucked his way to the championship. IMO. I also thought he acted like a dick during the tournament.

Should this thread go in TV or Other instead of Sports?

stoolie
Old 07-08-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh also, check here for poker on TV:

http://www.thepokerforum.com/pokerontv.htm

stoolie
Old 07-08-03, 03:37 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I wonder if ESPN will implement the "Hole Cam" that the Travel Channel used for the WPT this year? That was a great little innovation.

Also, will Kotter be calling the action again?
Old 07-08-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure they had that shot for the 2002 tourney.
Old 07-08-03, 03:43 PM

I love Kotter doing the play by play......any sport with the Devil Fish in it is great.....one correction however....Poker is a skill NOT a sport
Old 07-08-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: 2003 World Series of Poker on ESPN tonight

Originally posted by Stoolie
Just a heads up for those who like to watch poker. Tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern ESPN will air the 2003 World Series.

I hope it is more competitive than last year's WSOP where Robert Varkonyi lucked his way to the championship. IMO. I also thought he acted like a dick during the tournament.

I don't remember how lucky he was, but I'll never forget seeing so many wins on Q-10 at a final table.

I wonder if Phil Hellmuth will have to shave his head again after the '03 WSOP.
Old 07-08-03, 03:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Copenhagen
I'm pretty sure they had that shot for the 2002 tourney.
No. They only showed the hands they they knew about after. There was no cam at the table, and you didn't see any folded hands.
Old 07-08-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For those interested, the winner is:

Spoiler:
Chris Moneymaker (appropriate name, huh?). He won his spot in the tourney by winning a $40 tournament on pokerstars.com. This was the first live tournament that he ever played in.
Old 07-08-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: 2003 World Series of Poker on ESPN tonight

Originally posted by Red Dog
I don't remember how lucky he was, but I'll never forget seeing so many wins on Q-10 at a final table.

I wonder if Phil Hellmuth will have to shave his head again after the '03 WSOP.
I'm pretty sure Phil learned his lesson not to make statements like that. Remember that Varkonyi put him out with Q-10 as well.
Old 07-09-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It appears as though ESPN is trying to expand its coverage of this event. This first hour covered the tournament from its beginning. The featured table had Doyle Brunson, Robert Varkonyi, Dan Kim, Padraig Parkinson, and then Scotty Nguyen.

Spoiler:
Varkonyi had a pair of Aces to start two times in the first few hands (with ESPN's coverage it's difficult to tell how many hands they actually show), continuing his luck from last year. He put Doyle Brunson out, who then had an interview in which he said he couldn't believe Varkonyi won last year. Varkonyi then went up against Scotty Nguyen a few times and won, but then Scotty had Aces to Varkonyi's Kings. Varkonyi went all in and Scotty beat him. So last year's champion is out, Brunson is out. Phil Hellmuth, Phil Ivey, Amarillo Slim, and Scotty Nguyen are still in.
Old 07-09-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts
I watched about 10 minutes of this. I must be spoiled with the WPT show on the Travel Channel b/c this coverage sucked ass. I won't watch anymore of it.
Old 07-09-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, WPT sticks to the action more, while WSOP showed more stories and less actual game time. However, WPT has shown the final tables at most of their events. ESPN is showing the WSOP process to get to the final table. I like seeing how it starts.

Plus, the WPT sets look like the Weakest Link.

Anyway, I'll be watching both since I just like watching poker and it's not on very much.
Old 07-10-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

I suppose that ESPN will be showing several stages of the competition. I watched last night and it was the opening day of the tournament.

I loved their new coverage with the the graphics showing the hands and the %'s. Norman Chad is great as well - they should have been using him long ago.

My only is that I wish their program listings described which day of action a particular broadcast is showing so I can plan ahead better.
Old 07-16-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It looks like a new one will air every Tuesday at 9 EST. Last night was basically a grudge match between Phil Hellmuth and Sam Grizzle. These two obviously don't like each other very much.

Spoiler:
The featured table for day 2 included past winner Phil Hellmuth, TJ Cloutier, known as the Phil Mickelson of poker, and Sam Grizzle. Sam and Phil have a history that includes a fist fight outside Binion's.

Cloutier seemed bored of the bickering between Grizzle and Hellmuth, and he exited early. Grizzle eventually went all in against Hellmuth and lost, so he's out as well.

The best hand imo was Hellmuth against Tony D in which Phil made a decent bluff and Tony D folded on fourth street despite having a way better hand. It was a fairly large pot that could have turned the tournament for Hellmuth. There were only two cards in the deck that could have helped him.

Other exits: Amarillo Slim

Doing well: Hellmuth, Phil Ivey, Scotty Nguyen, several amateurs
Old 07-21-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

The chatter btwn Grizzle and Hellmuth was great stuff. I am so glad that Grizzle got grizzled by Phil.
Old 07-21-03, 12:35 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If espn want's to keep calling themselves "the world wide leader in sports" they need to quit showing crap like Poker and Spelling Bee's that are in no way, shape or form sports!

It's as bad as MTV keeping it's name when they rarely ever show music!
Old 07-21-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
If espn want's to keep calling themselves "the world wide leader in sports" they need to quit showing crap like Poker and Spelling Bee's that are in no way, shape or form sports!

It's as bad as MTV keeping it's name when they rarely ever show music!

I guess you don't know what the 'E' in ESPN stands for.

They show more MLB, NBA, NHL, college football, college hoops, tennis, and various other sports than any other network I know. I can't think of another candidate for that title.
Old 07-24-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Anybody watch Day 3 of action. Johnny Chan goes down on a questionable all-in and the amatuer Chris Moneymaker (great name) makes a strong move up the chip leaderboard. He played extremely well considering he is an amatuer.
Old 07-24-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it on Tues and was impressed the way the amatuer has been playing. I hated to see Jonny Chan get eliminated as he is one of my favs, but the way Moneymaker is looking he could be climbing on my list.
Old 07-24-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved it when Moneymaker sat there staring at everybody, forgetting he still had a hand. Classic.
Old 07-24-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was a great sight - just sitting there...no clue he was still in. Wonder how long it would have taken him to realize had Johnny Chan not said anything.

SPOILER REGARDING OVERALL WINNER:
Spoiler:
I was extremely pissed when I saw a commercial for PokerStars.com - I went to their website since they sponser Moneymaker and was just curious to see what their program looked like, and right at the top, in big bold type they congratulate Moneymaker on winning the World Series - PISSED ME OFF!!! I don't want to know who won now...I mean, it should be nice to see how he wins - but dammit...stupid people.
Old 07-24-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SPOILERS REGARDING OVERALL WINNER (CONT): [triple click is easiest way to highlight all of this]
Spoiler:
I guess I'll just spoilerize all this. I e-mailed PokerStars.com voicing my displeasure that they would advertise and then reveal the winner on their front page:

=============================================

While watching the World Series of Poker on ESPN, I saw a commercial for your website and decided to take a look. I had seen a commercial during Day 2, but had not visited the website, but after seeing Moneymaker wearing your hat and shirt on Day 3, I decided to visit and, lo and behold, you have a giant announcement stating that Moneymaker had won the tournament. Now...ESPN has only aired three days - and I have watched all three and was looking forward to seeing who came out the overall champ. I was quite disappointed when I visited your website and it had a huge announcement that Moneymaker had won. I will still be watching the tournament on ESPN, but will no longer be visiting your website.

I was surprised by the quick reply - first it was answered by marketing and then again by the management:

Hello Blake,

I am sorry you will not be coming back to PokerStars. We certainly do not like losing our players. I just want you to know that our doors will remain open and we will be happy to have you back at any time.

Your comments will be forwarded to the people in charge of our
advertisement campaign.

Best regards,

Adrián
PokerStars Support Team

Blake,

I am somewhat confused by your note. Are you saying that you were disappointed to learn that Chris Moneymaker won the championship before the ESPN series got to this point? Our web site announcement was there since end of May when Chris won. This story was also published in the newspapers around the world and on every newsgroup that is discussing poker.

Maybe I misunderstood. Can you clarify?

Best regards,

David
PokerStars Management

I was very impressed by how they handled this so quickly and I wrote back:

Well yes, I was disappointed to learn that Moneymaker won the championship before ESPN got to that point. I don't follow poker all that avidly - never read any newsgroups and most certainly never saw it in my local newspaper (must have been buried). I do realize that it did happen a while ago, but most of the casual Poker players, watching the series on ESPN probably do not follow the sport as much as the die-hard fans. I realize that it did happen a while ago, but, when you are going to advertise on ESPN during the World Series of Poker, I would just expect that the ultimate outcome of said programming would not be revealed on the front page.

=Blake Kunisch=

I guess I could be way off base here since the points brought up by David are valid, but I don't read poker newsgroups and even though I do read the sports section daily, I never saw anything about Moneymaker winning the tournament. I guess I could have hunted down the winner somewhere online, but I just wanted to watch it on ESPN as it progressed...
Old 07-24-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoiler:
For what it's worth, I saw a commercial for Pokerstars.com on the Travel channel last night during the WPT show they had on and there was Moneymaker there also saying that he won the tournament. So their website isn't the only place giving out this info.

jr
Old 07-24-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I realize you can find the winner in various other places - newsgroups, newpapers, but you have to actively search it out. Finding out by going to a website advertised during the World Series is another thing IMHO.
Old 07-24-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well. I guess I missed my point but it was that the same website aired a commercial stating the same thing. I was surprised to see that stated in the commercial. If I was more into poker then I might have been upset as well.

jr

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.