Twikoff can whip both of them
22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Lewis vs. Klitschko

Old 06-21-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JNielsen

One of the Klitschko's will be heavyweight champion very soon.
Considering his brother got knocked out by Sanders I'm not so sure if this is true.
Old 06-21-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, in Lewis' defense, he's probably a little bit woozy, and not making a whole lot of sense, you know...
Old 06-21-03, 10:23 PM

The Klitschko's are kind of funny because they both seem to be hot heads after they lose.
Old 06-21-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lewis was engulfed in a serious languor and is DEFINETLY lucky, because Klitschy was about ready to wipe Lewis' face across the mat...Lewis was too brash, too unprepared, to fed on his own B.S. and underestimated Klitschko's desire...I liked when Lewis grinned at Larry Merchant grilling him about his stamina if the fight would have went on longer, Lewis knows he weasled out, he can smile, but knows his respect did not leave unscathed...
Old 06-21-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
The luckiest day of Lewis's life!
Old 06-21-03, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Well if Lewis is way out of shape and hasn't fought in over a year and Vitali/Vi-tali Klitschko still (in my eyes and almost lost one of his might I add) didn't win the fight. What happens when Lewis gets in shape and actually comes to fight next time? I'd bet on a quicker ending.
Old 06-21-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was slightly comical to watch Klitschko yammer on about a rematch and about how he could go on with the fight, regardless of his left eye, all the while the insides of his mouth was shredded and he was spitting out bits of the insides of his mouth, peppering Larry Merchant inadvertently, as he tried to spit out as much as his English would carry him in the after-fight interview.

I do think Lewis would have finished Klitschko off in 3 more rounds or less.

But you have to be impressed by the amount of action and all out haymakers each boxer was throwing. It was like watching those lightweight boxers, only 100 pounds heavier each, with mayhem stamped on each punch thown.
Old 06-21-03, 11:23 PM
Banned

wait a minute wait a minute WAIT-A-****ING-MINUTE!!! How can the fight be over and it's not 10pm yet? I'm in Los Angeles, and they advertised 10 ****ing pm PST!!! It's only 9:30 right now...WHAT IS GOING ON??????
Old 06-21-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Umm...tape delayed for those on the west coast.
Old 06-21-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally posted by isamu
wait a minute wait a minute WAIT-A-****ING-MINUTE!!! How can the fight be over and it's not 10pm yet? I'm in Los Angeles, and they advertised 10 ****ing pm PST!!! It's only 9:30 right now...WHAT IS GOING ON??????

There will be replays in case you missed it. Keep an eye out....Speaking of which:

Well, good thing that cutman Joe Souza saved the eye long enough so that Klitschko could prove that he was the better man down the stretch.
Old 06-22-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Klitschko looked better in the ring. I thought Klitschko won the 6 rounds, and had a good shot to win if the fight could have gone on. But Lewis' punches must have been far more damaging than Klitschko's. Either that, or Klitschko had vision problems from the eye (which he denied). It wasn't just the cut above the eye that looked bad--Lewis was turning his face below the eye into hamburger as well. Klitschko also had a gigantic red welt on his shoulder on that side, too.

Here's hoping for a rematch! I doubt very much Lewis will weigh in at the same weight, if there is one
Old 06-22-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 321 Posts
I think Lennox was watching "The Great White Hope" before this match. I loved how he was in his corner as the bell rings the end of the 6th and his manager could barely get the chair under him before he slumped down. Vitaly should have won if not for that nasty cut. Looked like the thumb of Lennox's glove caught him good. He is a little flat footed and needed to put a jab out there.
Old 06-22-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aside from the cut by the right eye, Klitschko was winning the fight before it got called off. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see a rematch. But I heard Lewis wants to fight Roy Jones Jr. next. Plus he may take another year off...
Old 06-22-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While Klitschko's eye injury was horrible, there was a much worse cut in the UFC a few weeks ago. Marvin Eastman got caught by a knee to the head and dropped immediately with his head gouged open, I swear when he opened his mouth I could see light through the cut!

Edit to link the nasty pic.

Pic

Last edited by johnglass; 06-22-03 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-22-03, 09:32 AM
Suspended for multiple accounts

Lewis sucks.

It will be a great day for boxing when someone knocks his punk ass out.

I saw an interview with Lewis after the fight and he had the nerve
to suggest that it was an easy win, and if there was a rematch, he'd bust up Klitschko again.

A few months's worth of pickle brine and some Vitamin K and we'll have a decent champion again.
Old 06-22-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 315 Likes on 256 Posts
As someone who had the OVER on 9 rounds, I was more than displeased with the stoppage.

I don't know which performance was worse - Lewis in the ring or Lewis in the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant.

I guess we officially have a new "Great White Hope."
Old 06-22-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ChiefJustice001
It will be a great day for boxing when someone knocks his punk ass out.
Again? Haven't we already had a couple of those days?

I don't mean to be unpopular here, as I don't really like Lewis as a champ and I have quite a bit of dislike for the Heavyweight ranks these days, but you can set your watch by Lewis. He looks solid in a fight, then he underestimates his next opponent and shows poorly, but he seems to snap out of it by the next fight. This time he was lucky, but I'm not so sure that he wouldn't beat Klitschko next time. Vitali has a great record, but if anyone saw him fight (see: run from) Chris Byrd, you'd have to wonder if he came in to this fight strong or if Lewis came in weak. Knowing Lewis, I'm thinking the latter. Not to take anything away from Klitschko, but I'm not so sure that a determined, trained, and in-shape Lewis couldn't beat him handily. But holding the title is no position for a passionless fighter to find himself in. I'd rather Lewis retire than continue his on-again off-again reign.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 06-22-03 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-22-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 107 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I don't know which performance was worse - Lewis in the ring or Lewis in the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant.
I would definitely say the post-fight interview was worse. The minute he openned up his disrespectful mouth I just wanted to puke. I loved how Merchant was badgering him w/ questions trying to get him to give Klitschko some credit.

Lennox, you are one of the worst heavyweight champs ever to hold the title for an extended period. Even Tyson showed some respect to opponents after a fight was over.

I hate heavyweight boxing, and if Vitali doesn't get a rematch I will quit watching it all-together. Probably.
Old 06-22-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tacos
Well if Lewis is way out of shape and hasn't fought in over a year and Vitali/Vi-tali Klitschko still (in my eyes and almost lost one of his might I add) didn't win the fight. What happens when Lewis gets in shape and actually comes to fight next time? I'd bet on a quicker ending.
i dont expect that to happen.. lewis is aging and past his prime
his best chance at keeping his belt, would be not to schedule anymore fights for a long time
Old 06-22-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lewis was out of shape, probably because he was scheduled to fight a buster.......which just shows his disregard for the sport, to not even train to give you best performance, regardless of the opponent. C'mon man, you're the champion, prove you're the champion and fight (and actually beat) a real contender, not over the hill still-wannabe's from the previous generation of pretty good heavyweights.

Maybe Lewis can't get into shape anymore, the guys not young and these long layoffs are only going to make it worse for him. If there is a re-match, I do expect Lewis to come back in better shape and be sharper, but you can't discount that Klit will come in sharper and in better shape.
Old 06-22-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
but you can't discount that Klit will come in sharper and in better shape.
if there is ever a rematch

sounds like roy jones jr may be next in line
Old 06-22-03, 06:19 PM

Roy Jones might be fighting Holyfield. If that's the case than there definatley should be a rematch ASAP.
Old 06-22-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guys on the ESPN Sports Reporters want to first see Roy Jones Jr. whup up on Mike Tyson before getting into the ring with anyone else. I would suggest that RJ.Jr. cut out that hotdogging style when he starts to fight the big heavyweights, or he's going to meet the canvas mighty quick.
Old 06-22-03, 07:16 PM
Banned

The thing that really pissed me off about this fight was that now I'm going to have to pay $50 to watch a rematch. What a great fight this was. Just when you thought Lewis was getting the upper hand, Klitch came back with some stunning punches. Hopefully for the rematch Lewis will take him seriously and we will have a 12 round title bout.
Old 06-22-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jones vs. Lewis.....one of those fights you hope for the roof to cave in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.