Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Rich Eisen done at ESPN

Old 06-03-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich Eisen done at ESPN

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) -- Veteran ESPN "SportsCenter" anchor Rich Eisen is getting married and losing his job in the same week.

Eisen's contract expired this past weekend. The network said it "decided not to pursue the renewal of his contract. Rich is a talented sportscaster, but he no longer wanted to focus on 'SportsCenter,' our signature franchise, and the area we felt he brought the greatest value."

Eisen, who joined ESPN in 1996, reportedly sought to branch out from his anchor role, but the network wants to keep the anchors like Dan Patrick, Stuart Scott, and Linda Cohn committed to just one show.

Eisen, who lives in New York City two hours from ESPN's Bristol, Connecticut, studios, and who is getting married this weekend, was up for a co-host slot at ESPN's new "Cold Pizza" morning show that debuts in October. When those discussions fell apart, so did his talks about staying with ESPN, according to sources close to the network.

-----------------------

Sucks because he makes me laugh.
Old 06-03-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That's a shame. He's one of their better anchors.
Old 06-03-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
A lot better than Boo-Yah man.

I don't even watch SportsCenter anymore. For college football and hoops, I watch the specific highlight shows for that. For the NFL, I watch NFL2Night and Primetime. If I ever get back into baseball, I would watch Baseball2Night.
Old 06-03-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I almost started a thread on this yesterday when Dan Patrick mentioned it on his radion show. Major bummer, if you ask me, he was always one of my favorites on ESPN. I don't think he will have trouble landing a job somewhere, at least I hope not. I wish ESPN would let their anchors venture out and do more things for the network, but I guess that will not be the case.
Old 06-03-03, 11:22 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
How can you let him go and keep Stuart Scott around? He was their second best anchor behind Patrick IMO.
Old 06-03-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I can see both sides of this, but they've pretty much let Kenny Mayne run rampant and do whatever the hell he wants. Why can't Eisen? It must get boring hosting SportsCenter all the freakin' time.

Overall, a pretty big loss for the network. He's probably the best of that middle generation of anchors.

So, who's going to host Beg, Borrow, and Deal now?

das
Old 06-03-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by das Monkey
I guess I can see both sides of this, but they've pretty much let Kenny Mayne run rampant and do whatever the hell he wants. Why can't Eisen? It must get boring hosting SportsCenter all the freakin' time.

Overall, a pretty big loss for the network. He's probably the best of that middle generation of anchors.

das
...agreed on all counts. Kenny Mayne needs some sort of shock collar for when he gets outta line.

Wouldn't you want your best anchor to pursue more than just one show? I'd watch anything Rich did on ESPN...

jay
Old 06-03-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kenny Mayne and Stuart Scott need to get into a "fight-til-the-death" cage match and make sure it ends up in a tie.
Old 06-03-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I wish Keith Olbermann had never left. Now he's all serious and stuff and he sucks.

Anyway, that sucks Eisen's not coming back. He was one of the better anchors.
Old 06-03-03, 02:50 PM
Banned

This is nothing personal against Rich, but SportsCenter has lost its edge. Fox Sports News has some of the best sports shows around.
Old 06-03-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

das
What's funny about Kenny Mayne return to prominence w/ the network is that he seemed to be on the outs a couple of years ago. He was hardly doing anything and now he is one of their top guys again.

Stuart Scott was great the first couple of years, but his "boo-yah" schtick has gotten very old over the last several years. And I get sick of him giving props to Carolina all the time. Stuart - we know you went to UNC, you don't have to bring it up practically every day.
Old 06-03-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth narcissist <HR SIZE=1>This is nothing personal against Rich, but SportsCenter has lost its edge. Fox Sports News has some of the best sports shows around. <HR SIZE=1>

I think they're killing themselves with all the lame PTI-style "games." "Fact or Fiction," "The Hot Seat" ... silly. They're fine when you have Tony "Up Top" Kornheiser and Michael "Kill All the Horses" Wilbon, but it falls flat on SportsCenter.

das
Old 06-03-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sportscenter's problem is that it hasn't had a hot chick on there yet.
Old 06-03-03, 04:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
That's too bad - I always liked Eisen.
Old 06-03-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Sportscenter's problem is that it hasn't had a hot chick on there yet.
I could recommend Kelli Johnson from St. Louis's NBC affiliate. I think she is quite attractive. It's the same affiliate that Trey Wingo and Matt Winer were discovered by ESPN at - so they are familiar w/ the station.

http://www.ksdk.com/team/team_detail.asp?articleID=7783

I don't think their picture does her justice.

But you were probably thinking along the lines of some Fox Sports female personalities - they know what they are doing when they hire some of their women anchors.
Old 06-03-03, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by shizawn
I wish Keith Olbermann had never left. Now he's all serious and stuff and he sucks.
Really? I didn't like anything Olbermann did after he left ESPN until his current job on MSNBC. It really seems like he's found the perfect middle ground between being a SportsCenter clown & doing totally serious news.
Old 06-03-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESPN can have Craig Kilborn back now.

Eisen was very good. Bad decision by ESPN.
Old 06-03-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they're killing themselves with all the lame PTI-style "games." "Fact or Fiction," "The Hot Seat" ... silly. They're fine when you have Tony "Up Top" Kornheiser and Michael "Kill All the Horses" Wilbon, but it falls flat on SportsCenter.

das
I kind of like the fact or fiction. I do admit that i absolutely hate the hot seat though. There is just something i dont like about it. PTI, however, I think is one of the best sports shows. The antagonism between Kornheiser and Wilbon is good. I have always enjoyed Kornheiser on ESPN radio. Anyway, back on topic it sucks that Eisen is leaving. For me he was the only reason I was able to watch when Stu Scott was on SportsCenter. I love UNC basketball, but that dude is starting to piss me off.
Old 06-03-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hopefully Eisen will find a good home somewhere else so that I can continue to enjoy him on television.
Old 06-04-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This makes me unhappy in the pee-pee. Eisen is the best SC anchor, period.
Old 06-04-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Too bad.

2. Anybody have pics of his wifey?

Old 06-04-03, 03:30 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Keith and Dan were the best duo at ESPN.

Oh, and I second the return of Craig Kilborn.

I saw Rich Eisen on VH1 today. Is that his new job?
Old 06-04-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keith and Dan were very good.

Craig Kilborn would be a great return...but don't hold your breath.

They really have brought some great talent out.....if you remember where they came from.

-pedagogue
Old 04-10-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Rich Eisen done at ESPN

The Rich Eisen Show, which left The Audience Channel in March and subsequently went to Youtube, will start airing on NBCSN, beginning Monday, 4/13/20. It's supposedly only on until June, though.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/the-...wo-months.html
Old 04-11-20, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Re: Rich Eisen done at ESPN

It follows the Mike Tirico Lunch Hour show

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.