Reload this Page >

lemieux to play again, but only for flyers or rangers

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-02-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just heard that Mario Lemieux could play next year. The two would have to pay market value of around 10 mil, and he would have to sell the penguins. this is from TSN.
Old 06-02-03, 09:59 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...40&hubName=nhl

Lemieux to stay with Pens - if he plays

TSN.ca Staff

6/2/2003

Mario Lemieux has denied media speculation that he would like to play with another team next season. In fact, he says he's still not sure if he will play at all.

I am not considering selling my interest in the Pittsburgh Penguins," he said in a statement released by the team Monday.

As I said to our season ticket holders last week, I have not decided whether I will play in 2003-04. However, if I do play, it will be for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Teams that had been mentioned as possible destinations for Lemieux next year were the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers.

"I've had zero contact with Mario or anyone that represents him," Rangers GM Glen Sather tells the New York Daily News. "There are 100,000 reasons why this is out of the blue for me. Probably, it's just some agent trying to drum up business for Mario and New York is always a good place to start."

Lemieux is an unrestricted free agent this summer, but if he was to sign with a team other than the Penguins, he would first have to sell his stake in the team.
Old 06-02-03, 10:04 AM
Banned

Divesting himself of 30% ownership of the Penguins is going to be no small feat.
Old 06-02-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I just heard this on the comcast station in Philly. They said it was from TSN. Guess you can't always trust local sports news.
Old 06-02-03, 10:07 AM
Banned

ESPN ran this story on SportsCenter last night.
Old 06-02-03, 10:14 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Its been running since yesterday. Read it on www.spectorshockey.net . Rumor is coming from Larry Brooks and also Al Strachan.
Old 06-02-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what a stupid rumor. why would he play for a Ken Hitchcock coached team, who's style he hates ? or go to New York and lose a bunch of games ?
Old 06-02-03, 12:27 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

He wouldn't, Larry Brooks and Al Strachan are known for far fetched, over the top, bad rumors.
Old 06-02-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dek
He wouldn't, Larry Brooks and Al Strachan are known for far fetched, over the top, bad rumors.
OT but I love reading Brooks columns about the Devils, when they win they are tough, the other team is a joke, weak, etc. But when they lose they are a bunch of cowards, have no heart, etc. He's the ultimate front runner.
Old 06-02-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Brooks and Strachan are about as reliable as the Weekly World News paper...
Old 06-02-03, 10:43 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Super Mario To Play for Broadway, Super Scoop by Me
Larry Brooks

Ny Post Article On The Lemieux Trade

June 2, 2003 -- New York - After a 2 minute bargaining session, Penguins GM Craig Patrick emerged from his office to proclaim what I reported earlier yesterday. "Mario Lemieux has been traded to the New York Rangers"

The reporters gasped.

"In exchange for Mario, we have recieved from the New York Rangers Broadcaster John Davidson, Equipment Manager Sal Pazollino, Zamboni Driver Ken Massochiso, Ice Shoveler Frank Cappostano, and the center piece of the deal Goalie Mike Richter."

Stunned, Patrick opened his mouth again.

"We believe this deal to be in the best interest of the franchise. We acquired mostly guys that are having an upswing right now," Patrick said. "This is the best deal we can make for what we think we need in our lineup right now to make the playoffs. Based on that, we believe we made a deal that will enable us to make the playoffs and have a good run."

Asked if that meant his team was better, he replied, "It does make us better at this point. I feel very strongly that our team will be more competitive going forward, and that's why I went ahead and did it."

Last edited by dek; 06-02-03 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

****** THIS JUST IN!******

The Penguins have traded the rights to Mario Lemieux's Son Austin and Mellon Arena Music Programmer Jim Kyte for the rights to Eric Lindros' latest MRI results on dvd from the Rangers! Glen Sather is also supposed to include a book of sonnets stroking his ego and a knife destined for bobby clarkes back, in exchange for future considerations and the half bottle of leftover hair dye from Ian Moran.