Reload this Page >

Red Sox to trade Hillenbrand

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-29-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apparently the red sox and d-backs are on the verge of a trade that would send hillenbrand to arizona for RHP Kim

story

i think they should do it? any d-backs fans out there that want to keep kim? i think it would help both sides.
Old 05-29-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is kim expected to be put in the rotation should he go to boston? i know theyve had problems with that closer by committee and wonder what his role will be
Old 05-29-03, 01:23 PM
Banned

two crappy teams trading two crappy players? who cares?

What's your favorite Hillenbrand moment? Mine is when he get nailed at home by Posada trying to be greedy on the base path.
Old 05-29-03, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TaTTooD
is kim expected to be put in the rotation should he go to boston? i know theyve had problems with that closer by committee and wonder what his role will be
It's a well known fact that Kim _hates_ closing games, and Brandon Lyon has done fine as Boston's closer. Remember, he was victimized yesterday by an error, 2 intentional walks, and the umpire missing strike 3.

But the only starter the Sox could really demote would be Burkett, who has been pitching better lately.

But I wonder if Arizona will trade Kim now that Webb is on the DL and Mantei is hurting again.
Old 05-29-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bust

What's your favorite Hillenbrand moment? Mine is when he get nailed at home by Posada trying to be greedy on the base path.
My favorite Shea Hillenbrand moment was when he hit a game-winning home run off Mariano RIvera last year.
Old 05-29-03, 02:32 PM
Banned

My favorite Shea Hillenbrand moment was when he hit a game-winning home run off Mariano RIvera last year
mine too.
Old 05-29-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a comedy of errors the Red Sox ended on last night. Hillebrand being an idiot, Ramirez's slow arse missing the ball by two inches, then Ramirez throwing the ball away, andthen the great ide to load the bases.

But as for the trade, I think it would be a steal for the Red Sox, although it would be interesting to see how they use Kim. He can be a dominant closer, although he'd be more valuable as an effective starter (which remains to be seen if he can do that). Plus the Red Sox pen is really do fine right now, while they could use another starter.
Old 05-29-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
My favorite Shea Hillenbrand moment was when he hit a game-winning home run off Mariano RIvera last year.
me too. rivera looked good again last night.

i think he would be in the rotation. brendon lyon is doing good work for the bullpen right now as a closer.
Old 05-29-03, 04:28 PM

from ESPN.com

"Kim is best known for his Yankee Stadium meltdown in Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 World Series, but has had a solid career in four seasons with Arizona."

GUESS WHAT BH...TIME FOR YOUR REVENGE IS CLOSE AT HAND
Old 05-29-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kim is a damn good starter who will only get better. He is young and has good stuff, just no run support.

The D-Backs have no clue what they are doing. Sign veterans to long-term contracts, overpay them and trade away young talent for injured old bastards.

This is a horrible trade for Arizona.
Old 05-29-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'd keep shea...he was the starting 3rd baseman for the all-star game. solid d, and a good bat.
Old 05-29-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts
I doubt this will happen. Hillenbrand has been rumored to come to AZ ever since he came up with the Bo Sox b/c he played his high school ball here in AZ. We also have Matt Williams locked through this season. He's our 3rd baseman until Counsell comes back. I don't see them making this trade at all. Kim is a good pitcher, but he's just not geting any run support from his team.

The only reason this would even be a semi-good deal is that Kim is only locked up for this year where Hillenbrand is locked up through the 2006 season. Once Matt Williams is gone next season (thank the lord jesus) We might have a need for him. Counsell will slide over to SS, Womack won't be resigned, Spivey at 2nd and Overbay at 1B. That's a pretty damn solid defensive infield.

Last edited by Deftones, Esq; 05-29-03 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Kim is a damn good starter who will only get better. He is young and has good stuff, just no run support.

The D-Backs have no clue what they are doing. Sign veterans to long-term contracts, overpay them and trade away young talent for injured old bastards.

I agree Boston is getting the better end of the deal, but Hillenbrand is only 27. He's a good bat for a 3rd baseman, but tends to stink it up in September. Arizona probably won't be his last team
Old 05-29-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
I doubt this will happen. Hillenbrand has been rumored to come to AZ ever since he came up with the Bo Sox b/c he played his high school ball here in AZ. We also have Matt Williams locked through this season. He's our 3rd baseman until Counsell comes back. I don't see them making this trade at all. Kim is a good pitcher, but he's just not geting any run support from his team.

The only reason this would even be a semi-good deal is that Kim is only locked up for this year where Hillenbrand is locked up through the 2006 season. Once Matt Williams is gone next season (thank the lord jesus) We might have a need for him. Counsell will slide over to SS, Womack won't be resigned, Spivey at 2nd and Overbay at 1B. That's a pretty damn solid defensive infield.
Counsell is not the answer for 3B or SS, IMO. He's much too fragile and I don't see him ever playing through an entire season. He's above average in the field and at the plate, but I don't see him realistically being more than an excellent utility infielder.

Kim is younger and has more potential. They shouldn't have trouble re-signing him. The pay raise he received this year struck me as that gesture of goodwill and Colangelo has a track record of overpaying players anyway.

Kim is pitching well by any measure, but if you consider that he has been a reliever for several years, that makes it all the more impressive.
Old 05-29-03, 06:26 PM

Sounds like a done deal, guys. News conference scheduled for 7:30 pm eastern...
Old 05-29-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DarkElf
Sounds like a done deal, guys. News conference scheduled for 7:30 pm eastern...

yup..its official

link
Old 05-29-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know. I think this is a nice deal all around. Well, since we are talking about the Sox, I guess it ends up with Hillenbrand becoming the next Mike Schmidt and Kim blowing out his arm on the plane trip to Boston.
Old 05-29-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts
Counsell is not the answer for 3B or SS, IMO. He's much too fragile and I don't see him ever playing through an entire season. He's above average in the field and at the plate, but I don't see him realistically being more than an excellent utility infielder.

Kim is younger and has more potential. They shouldn't have trouble re-signing him. The pay raise he received this year struck me as that gesture of goodwill and Colangelo has a track record of overpaying players anyway.

Kim is pitching well by any measure, but if you consider that he has been a reliever for several years, that makes it all the more impressive.
What about in 2001? He wasn't hurt at all that season. Hell he was our MVP in the NL Championships. I agree he's only slightly above average in the field and at the dish, but he provides something that most other major leaguers don't, and that is hussle. He makes stuff happen. He's a far better leadoff hitter than Womack will ever aspire to be, and Womack has much, much more talent.

As for the trade, well, I have mixed feelings about this.

I don't think it is fair for Kim. He's worked his ass off in this organization and the team shows him no loyalty by trading him away. I think he was really getting the raw end of the stick this year b/c the offense has been pitiful for the D-backs. Kim can easily be a 12-16 win pitcher year in and year out. Only time will tell, of course.

I do like the idea that Hillenbrand is locked up to a long term deal, and he's from here. He's got family here, and he'll probably play better. It also gets rid of Matt Williams as our regular 3B. I can't stand that bastard. I haven't really followed Hillenbrand so I don't know where he hits in the Boston lineup. I'd assume in either the 2,3 or 5 slot. I am wondering where Brenly will put him at.

I do wish Kim all the best. He's been a great player here, and I've admired him since he came up. He showed alot of poise after the 2001 WS losses. Hopefully he remembers that and becomes the Yankee killer that Boston wants him to be.

Last edited by Deftones, Esq; 05-29-03 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that this is a good trade both ways. Boston could use another solid pitcher, and Arizona really decent 3 bagger.
Old 05-29-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weakening Boston's lineup. I'm ok with that.

Last edited by Bushdog; 05-29-03 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i think its a good trade for the sox. they need to start getting people out.

i heard a disturbing stat listening to weei (sports radio here in boston)
FACT:
the red sox hit over .300 in the month of may but are only one game over .500 for the month.

that means NO PITCHING!!! we need pitching. mueller is hitting .385 for them right now and can play good defensive baseball too. they'll slide Ortiz/Millar into the 1st base slot and have a decent infield. hopefully kim will contribute with some solid starts to take the heat off the bullpen. i say they should keep lyon as their closer though, and only use kim if lyon starts to fade.
Old 05-29-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about in 2001? He wasn't hurt at all that season. Hell he was our MVP in the NL Championships. I agree he's only slightly above average in the field and at the dish, but he provides something that most other major leaguers don't, and that is hussle. He makes stuff happen. He's a far better leadoff hitter than Womack will ever aspire to be, and Womack has much, much more talent.
He's only ever played more than 100 games three times in his career:

- 141 in 2001
- 112 in 2002
- 107 in 1998

He's almost 33 and 2001 was clearly the aberration. I like Counsell, he's a solid ballplayer with a respectable career average (.272) and OBP (.355). I don't believe he will be an everyday player though.

The D-Backs will find out if Cintron is the answer or not this year and then address the need in the offseason. Tejada should be cheap.

I like Kim, but I hope he flames out so this trade doesn't come back to haunt Arizona.
Old 05-29-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's amazing to me that nearly 60% of people think Arizona won this deal. And these people get to select the all-stars?

I agree, this is a bad deal for Arizona
Old 05-29-03, 09:30 PM
Retired

I don't think it is fair for Kim. He's worked his ass off in this organization and the team shows him no loyalty by trading him away. I think he was really getting the raw end of the stick this year b/c the offense has been pitiful for the D-backs.
It does kind of suck for him, but then again he did get traded to a team with a much better chance of reaching the post season.
Old 05-29-03, 09:41 PM
Banned

I think Arizona got ripped a new ******* on this one. Hillenbrand? LMAO! Kim will be good in the AL since the batters haven't seen him much.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.