Reload this Page >

Bobby Valentine on 'Baseball Tonight'

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-28-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've made no secret of how disgraceful I felt Valentine acted during his tenure managing the Mets, but once he hit ESPN, I honestly tried to let all that go, because I've learned that many people I didn't enjoy on the field can be fine in the booth.

That being said, I'm really getting tired of him. His analysis is pretty good, but he uses air time to whine about old grievances, and not in a joking manner. A few days back, they were doing a retrospective on Maddux's career, and he couldn't shut up about how it wasn't as meaningful since he gets a lot of calls off the plate. All great pitchers (players) get calls. Get over it. He sticks out like a sore thumb sitting there between class like Reynolds and Gammons crying like Vlade Divac. Quit your whining, and analyze the games.

Who's with me!

das
Old 05-28-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I'm the opposite. I didn't have a problem with him as a manager but now I can't stand his yapping in Baseball Tonight.
Old 05-28-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't say that's "opposite." You're just "slow." Welcome to the "right" side. [Kornheiser] UP TOP!! [/Kornheiser]

das
Old 05-28-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind him on either level, however I'm sure his whining will wear thin on me over time.
Old 05-29-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 281 Likes on 200 Posts
Ever since he said the D-backs were "done" for the season I wanted to punch him in the face. It's barely 2 months into the season, with 4 more to go. To make a comment like that is simply absurd. I hope he chokes on his fake moustache.
Old 05-29-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts
He says some very insightful things, but he's still Bobby V. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-29-03, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frankly, the only baseball analyst for ESPN worth a damn is Peter Gammons. I like Bobby V, and I liked Harold Reynolds a lot when he was a player, but they both suck on Baseball Tonight. Some good comments, but a lot of really stupid comments too.

BTW, Def, Bobby is right. The D-Backs ARE done for the season.
Old 05-29-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

His face begs to be punched.
Old 05-29-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with DarkElf. D-backs are done. And DarkElf should know what teams who are done look like.
Old 05-29-03, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I agree with DarkElf. D-backs are done. And DarkElf should know what teams who are done look like.

Last night was the first game in the last 6 that I've gone to where the Padres actually won. Very exciting game too!
Old 05-29-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by Bushdog
His scrotum begs to be punched.
Old 05-30-03, 11:29 AM
Banned

I like his attitude and demeanor at ESPN. I'm tired of those 3-piece suit conversatives that routinely flood the airwaves. He speaks his mind, whether he's right or wrong, and makes his point heard.
Old 05-30-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's hilarious how obvious it is that Gammons despises the guy.
Old 05-30-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Valentine loves Jeromy Burnitz. He always has good things to say about him. It's obvious he's a friend or at least one of Bobby's favorites.
Old 05-30-03, 10:41 PM

i like him, although he may rant about players and coaches he doesn't like, it's painfully obvious how valentine also despises gammons(i can't stand him either, he said the white sox should be contracted instead of the twins, the ones who skipped on mark prior because of $)
Old 05-31-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not the biggest Bobby V fan, but I think he is honestly one of, if not THE best analysts/commentators ESPN has. What rubs people the wrong way with Bobbyt is he is extremely intelligent & extremely straight foward, & that is what most people DON'T want to see on tv or from analysts, coaches, commentators, etc. They want the PC, optimistic crap all the time, they want people to tell them what they want to hear. And Bobby just says what he thinks, he doesn't cater to anyone, and more often than not he is right. That just rubs people the wrong way. And he is perfect for TV work, he looks right at the camera, speaks clearly & w/ enthusiasm, & is quite animated. The guy is a great TV find.
Old 05-31-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't mind people who tell it like it is; in fact, my favorite athletes are often guys who rub everyone else the wrong way because they don't pander to the PC crowd. But, for me at least, there's a difference between "telling it like it is" and bitching about old grudges when you're supposed to be analyzing the game.

As for being perfect for TV, he certainly looks right at the camera ... the question is which camera. I don't know how many times I've seen him deliver a 3-minute rant to the side camera while the front camera was live. I don't fault him for this -- he's new, mistakes will happen -- but I do think it's a bit premature to say he's perfect for TV.

I do like a lot of his analysis ... I just wish he'd stick to it.

das
Old 06-01-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
i think he looks funny. looks to me like they have his eyes pulled back. like joe pesci did in my cousin vinnie.
just looks odd to me. he should try to be more natural. he just overdoes the animated gestures with the smiling and stuff.