Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Gary Payton swapped for Ray Allen

Old 02-20-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary Payton swapped for Ray Allen

Mentioned in the rumor thread, now official:

Bucks acquire Payton from Sonics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The Seattle SuperSonics have traded Gary Payton and Desmond Mason to the Milwaukee Bucks for Ray Allen, Joel Pryzbilla and Kevin Ollie, ESPN.com has learned.

The Sonics also shipped point guard Kenny Anderson to the Hornets for Elden Campbell.

Payton is one of the top point guards in the NBA. Payton is averaging 20.8 points and 8.8 asissts this season for the Sonics, who snapped a six-game losing streak on Wednesday night against the Knicks. Payton scored 31 points in his last game with Seattle.

Coincidentally, the Bucks and Sonics play Friday night in a nationally-televised game on ESPN.

--------------------------------------

So the Bucks have Payton, Cassell, Toni Kukoc, Redd, and Tim Thomas? GL winning with that
Old 02-20-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have liked to see Gary stay with the Sonics until he retired but that's the business I guess. I suppose that this means that they're going to do something with Cassell.
Old 02-20-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, I didn't see the Anderson deal. So they picked up two centers today? Joel and Cambell? wierd.
Old 02-20-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So now they have like a billion sucky centers.
Old 02-20-03, 06:08 PM

Was I missing something, or is Kevin Ollie the only PG on the Sonics roster?
Old 02-20-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow! I love blockbuster trades

It's interesting to see what Payton's going to do this summer when he becomes a free agent. Possibly join the Pacers?

Last edited by edytwinky; 02-20-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so any word on what the bucks are planning on doing with cassell? interesting trade to say the least. i didnt think the bucks were looking to move allen.
Old 02-20-03, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by nchhabra
so any word on what the bucks are planning on doing with cassell? interesting trade to say the least. i didnt think the bucks were looking to move allen.
(directly copied from ESPN.com)

NBA sources have told ESPN the Magazine's Ric Bucher that a trade deadline extension has been requested involving a possible deal that would send Sam Cassell to the Knicks for Latrell Sprewell.

Because of the two players' differing salaries, under NBA rules, the trade may not be made in a one-for-one exchange. It is not yet known if the extension request has been granted by the league or what the other components of the trade might include. It is also uncertain at this point which team (the Bucks or the Knicks) made the extension request.

Old 02-20-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, what a steal for the Bucks. The only downside is Payton's age as compared to Allen's. But, right now, this trade is great for the Bucks. Mason is hardly a "throw in"; he's averaging over 14 ppg and is one of the more exciting young players in the league (see dunk competition). Anyone know the details of Ray Allen's contract? If he leaves Seattle in a year or two, this trade will be absolutely horrendous on the Sonics part.
Old 02-20-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless the Bucks are trying to save money or looking to entice a buyer, i'm interested to see what the Bucks are going to do after this season. They've already lost Glenn Robinson and Ray Allen and now they're trying to move Sam Cassell? If Payton leaves this summer, that leaves very little for the Bucks to work with.
Old 02-20-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The third player is Ronald Murray, last years D-II player of the year, instead of Joel Pryzbilla. Seattle also gets a conditional first round draft pick.
Old 02-20-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised Seattle got so much for Payton. It seems like he's been rumored to be gone every trade deadline for years, and with his contract status and age, it would be a difficult sell. They got a legitimate superstar in Allen, and one with many years left.

As for Milwaukee, the drawback is of course if they lose Payton, and having Mason, while a decent player, doesn't do much for the present with Payton, Redd, and Cassell/Sprewell around. Interesting deal
Old 02-21-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh well, I hope Payton's eventually happy where ever he ends up at. He's had a great career and i'm sure he's got a few left in him.
Old 02-21-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bucks are a sinking ship. They're just replacing one sort of plug for another.
Old 02-21-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Payton decides to return to his hometown of Oakland, and play for the Warriors!
Old 02-21-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a pure money dump for the Bucks. You know GP is going to bolt after this season. And thats what, 13 million off the cap?

Nice to see the glove in the east. But I'd rather see him in Raptors purple.
Old 02-21-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mnguye10
I hope Payton decides to return to his hometown of Oakland, and play for the Warriors!
That'd be awesome. Especially if he screws over everyone else and just takes the $4.5 million exception.
Old 02-21-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, while it would be great to have Payton in Oakland, that would probably mean we've lost Arenas. I'd rather see Arenas stay for a few more years and watch him develop.