Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Unpopular SPORTS Opinion Thread

Old 01-13-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Unpopular SPORTS Opinion Thread

Another random one, but I think UFC is boring to watch although all my coworkers seem to get in to the big events and always talking about guys like McGregor. Boxing in it's hey day was always much more entertaining.
Old 01-14-19, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
This is unpopular?

I'd say Al is getting really whiney.

As for multi-game playoffs, that Pharoh carves out the NBA. That's the one that most needs one game playoffs.

And holy thread resurrection. Miss das. Best contributor here ever.

Everybody shits on NBC for everything so I thought it would be unpopular to like something NBC related.
Old 01-14-19, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the New Jersey Devils in front of him, Curtis Joseph would have been a more decorated goalie than Martin Brodeur.
Old 01-14-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
The NBA hasn't been worth following since the 90s.
The NBA is better now than it has ever been.

Not sure which opinion is more unpopular.
Old 01-14-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Baseball is the most boring sport to ever grace our TVs. It's only good for lulling you to sleep on Sunday afternoons.
Old 01-14-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The NBA is in a golden age with players like LeBron, KD, Kawhi, Steph, Giannis, Harden, Russ, Embiid, Brow, etc., etc., etc. at or near their primes. Shit LeBron is a top 2 or 3 player of all-time, and KD and Steph are probably top 20,
Old 01-14-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Baseball is the most boring sport to ever grace our TVs. It's only good for lulling you to sleep on Sunday afternoons.
Try watching it live. It's even worse. No wonder people drink like crazy at the stadiums. This is coming from somebody who actually like the sport.
Old 01-14-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The prevent defense is a good plan
Old 01-14-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Tony Romo is 100 times better than Phil "please SHUT UP ALREADY!!" Simms was as a color guy
How is this unpopular? Even the worse Cowboys/Romo haters have said he's great in the booth.
Old 01-14-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
How is this unpopular? Even the worse Cowboys/Romo haters have said he's great in the booth.
Yeah; this. I hated Romo as a player but he's by far the best booth announcer from any network. I wish he could call every game.
Old 01-14-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NFL football is the best sport watch on TV but it's the worst sport to watch live in person. NHL hockey is the worst of the four major sports to watch on TV but it's the best in person.
Old 01-14-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
The NBA is in a golden age with players like LeBron, KD, Kawhi, Steph, Giannis, Harden, Russ, Embiid, Brow, etc., etc., etc. at or near their primes. Shit LeBron is a top 2 or 3 player of all-time, and KD and Steph are probably top 20,
I think most people will agree that the talent level is there, but the Warriors being all but given to win every year is what holds them back. Well, that plus Harden-esque ball.
Old 01-14-19, 04:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
NFL football is the best sport watch on TV but it's the worst sport to watch live in person. NHL hockey is the worst of the four major sports to watch on TV but it's the best in person.
I think everyone knows this/agrees. Right?
Old 01-14-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I think everyone knows this/agrees. Right?
yep
Old 01-14-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Roger Federer is the greatest athlete/sportsman of this millenium.
Old 01-14-19, 06:56 PM

The gap between Messi and whomever people place in 2nd is greater than in any other sport, ever.

The not so unpopular take, he is the greatest athletic performer of our lifetimes.
Old 01-14-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Soccer is a team sport, so comparisons with athletes in individual sports will always be flawed. If Messi's impact was so great, he'd have a much better WC record.

Plus, Messi doesn't have a clear claim at GOAT or even current best in his own sport. (zingggggggggg! )
Old 01-14-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you could easily make the case for Messi since there is no definitive GOAT in the sport

For all Pele's accomplishment's with Brazil that is a bit like Durant with the Warrior's, dude was on stacked teams who would be contender's to win without him. His club career he never went to any of the big league's so it's pretty hard to gauge.
Cristiano Ronado the contemporary of Messi has the same amount of Player Of The Year Honor.But you can easily make the case Messi has better club and intl accomplishment's. Messi made a WC final despite never having the same calibre of intl teammates as Ronaldo,and his 4-1 CL win is not insignificant. Messi won a lot more at Barcelona then Ronaldo did at Real Madrid over a long overlapping period.

Maradona's club accomplishment's hurt his goat arguement since he never led his team to any big European Cup Wins. His entire club career his team won a league twice
Old 01-14-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
But you can easily make the case Messi has better club and intl accomplishment's. Messi made a WC final despite never having the same calibre of intl teammates as Ronaldo,and his 4-1 CL win is not insignificant. Messi won a lot more at Barcelona then Ronaldo did at Real Madrid over a long overlapping period.
With the best club team in recent memory, with arguably the best mid-field duo in history (Iniesta and Xavi). The "calibre of team/teammates" argument goes both ways. The "What has Messi achieved outside of Barcelona?" question is a valid one. And you could also argue that performing at a high level for two very different clubs in different leagues is a plus for Ronaldo.
Old 01-14-19, 10:22 PM

It has nothing to do with achievements, statistics, or results. Those are all meaningless in this conversation. It is why, for example, Maradona is on the Mt. Rushmore despite lack of club success. That matters not.

And I'm sorry, but ronaldo is not near the conversation. That opinion is only unpopular amongst a small subset of ManU fans. Nobody else would argue.
Old 01-14-19, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
It has nothing to do with achievements, statistics, or results. Those are all meaningless in this conversation.
Huh? My statement about Roger Federer certainly does include results/accomplishments, so the conversation you are having isn't mine. Plus, I think you have it backwards. It's without results/accomplishments that the conversation becomes meaningless because you have no objective way(s) to define "greatness".
Old 01-15-19, 08:34 PM

The gap between Messi and whomever people place in 2nd is greater than in any other sport, ever.

The not so unpopular take, he is the greatest athletic performer of our lifetimes.
Soccer is a team sport, so comparisons with athletes in individual sports will always be flawed. If Messi's impact was so great, he'd have a much better WC record.

Plus, Messi doesn't have a clear claim at GOAT or even current best in his own sport. (zingggggggggg! )
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I think you could easily make the case for Messi since there is no definitive GOAT in the sport

For all Pele's accomplishment's with Brazil that is a bit like Durant with the Warrior's, dude was on stacked teams who would be contender's to win without him. His club career he never went to any of the big league's so it's pretty hard to gauge.
Cristiano Ronado the contemporary of Messi has the same amount of Player Of The Year Honor.But you can easily make the case Messi has better club and intl accomplishment's. Messi made a WC final despite never having the same calibre of intl teammates as Ronaldo,and his 4-1 CL win is not insignificant. Messi won a lot more at Barcelona then Ronaldo did at Real Madrid over a long overlapping period.

Maradona's club accomplishment's hurt his goat arguement since he never led his team to any big European Cup Wins. His entire club career his team won a league twice
With the best club team in recent memory, with arguably the best mid-field duo in history (Iniesta and Xavi). The "calibre of team/teammates" argument goes both ways. The "What has Messi achieved outside of Barcelona?" question is a valid one. And you could also argue that performing at a high level for two very different clubs in different leagues is a plus for Ronaldo.
It has nothing to do with achievements, statistics, or results. Those are all meaningless in this conversation. It is why, for example, Maradona is on the Mt. Rushmore despite lack of club success. That matters not.

And I'm sorry, but ronaldo is not near the conversation. That opinion is only unpopular amongst a small subset of ManU fans. Nobody else would argue.
Huh? My statement about Roger Federer certainly does include results/accomplishments, so the conversation you are having isn't mine. Plus, I think you have it backwards. It's without results/accomplishments that the conversation becomes meaningless because you have no objective way(s) to define "greatness".

To re calibrate momentarily: The thread is unpopular opinions. You offered one. I then offered one, not necessarily as a direct counter to yours, but more spurred on by your post. The conversation then turned to objective merits and accomplishments of the Messi GOAT debate. I countered that entire argument, claiming results and metrics don't matter in that specific conversation. I know your comment on Roger does include that, but my opinion is that it should not. Maybe tennis is different, as the chance for expression is limited, but it still should not matter. It absolutely does not matter as it relates to Messi.

To provide an American analog, albeit a not perfect one, the three best NFL running backs of all time, imo, are the greatest NFL player ever, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and ....Gayle Sayers. Obviously none of them have all the records or accomplishments, or titles of others, but that does not negate what I see/saw when I watched them play.

Or would Michael Jordan not be the best ever if everything about his career was the same but he missed a couple of other seasons for whatever reason? How he performed on the court places him above everyone else. The stats and titles are secondary validations.

Messi doesn't need the scoring & assisting records, or all the trophies to be the best ever, though he has though as well. He is the best because he is. You simply have to watch.
Old 01-15-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought your post was a direct response to mine, hence the confusion that ensued.

And I get what you are saying, but the "what I see" argument is subjective and problematic, especially in cases where you have two great athletes/players with different styles. It then becomes a matter of preference. It's the old "puncher vs stylist" debate in boxing. Or do you pick the poetry in motion of Federer, or the Spartacus-like fury of Rafa? Heck, even Messi vs Ronaldo. Then, results and accomplishments matter.

And since I was initially referring to Federer as being the best across all sports, in that case, you'd have no choice but to look at results/accomplishments (what did he/she win, not win, in his/her sport). I don't see how one could possibly argue that one of Federer, LeBron, Messi, etc. is a better athlete/better at his sport than the others (and that's assuming someone well versed in all the sports). And of course there's always the individual sport vs team sport comparison problem.
Old 01-15-19, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All soccer-related opinions in a US-based sports forum thread are, by definition, unpopular.
Old 01-16-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.