Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Unpopular SPORTS Opinion Thread

Old 02-11-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The NBA is FAN-tastic. The current Lakers/Mavericks/Kings teams are as fun to watch as the Pistons/Bulls/Lakers team, although nowhere near the old Lakers/Celts/Sixers teams.

Shaq has skills and is a good guy (even if he does stick his overly large foot in his mouth frequently).

Hakeem was an incredible player, but he used to dog it on the court during salary disputes and was not above reproach for his behavior in the middle of his career.

AI has more good attributes than bad. (And he did not invent tatoos).

Jordan was the best player in NBA history, but he was as two-faced with his public versus his private persona as anybody I can cite. Most of the people who wanted to "be like Mike", he wouldn't have given them the time of day.

Jordan would not have won as many rings without Pippen. No way, no how.

Kobe is over-rated, but he is a hell of an athlete, and tries to do the right thing. He keeps improving his game and his attitude. That's like Mike.

Charles Barkley did more with his size than Jordan did with his.

Tree Rollins bit Danny Ainge's finger, not the other way around.

AROD did the right thing leaving Seattle for Texas and is everything that is right about baseball.

Clemens is a girl. But so is Piazza.

You can keep Duante Culpepper and Randy Moss.

NASCAR sucks. So does pro wrestling. So does hockey. Of the three, I would watch wrestling first.
Old 02-11-03, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by nchhabra
we are somewhat responsible by continuing to support the league by going to the games. with those ridiculous ticket prices, the owners can afford to pay the players what they do, especially since a lot of the new stadiums are funded with public tax dollars.
But fans of sports have been paying for tickets since the birth of those said sports. How is buying a ticket, hot dog, soda etc any different now from back in the earlier days?, taking in consideration of course inflation of money.
Old 02-11-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MJKTool
But fans of sports have been paying for tickets since the birth of those said sports. How is buying a ticket, hot dog, soda etc any different now from back in the earlier days?, taking in consideration of course inflation of money.
don't have the stats on hand, but ticket prices have been rising astronomically, AFTER being adjusted for inflation.

Anybody who thinks ICE HOCKEY sucks has obviously never seen a game live.
Old 02-11-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few off the top of my dome:

NASCAR is a redneck pleasure, but not a sport

Before Dale Earnhardt died, if I had been a NASCAR fan, my Calvin sticker would have been peeing on the #3 car while wearing a #24 hat

I actually enjoy Dick Vitale when he is going crazy for a team I'm rootin' for

I sigh in disgust every time Sportscenter tries to shove women's basketball (particularly the UConn team) down my throat

I like 3 of Shaq's songs that he's recorded

IMHO, the people in the early 90's who claimed Pippen was just as good as Jordan are morons

I'm sick of hearing about LeBron James, and every time I watch one of these special features that package together a bunch of his highlights, I don't see anything that makes me go "wow!"

I always thought Steffi Graf was cute, in a weird sort of way

90% of the Sweet16 teams from 1985-1994 would easily make the Final4 these days

Pete Rose is a publicity whoring a$$-clown
Old 02-11-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Daryl
IMHO, the people in the early 90's who claimed Pippen was just as good as Jordan are morons
Agreed completely. My friend thought this, but I knew better. Pippen? You gotta be kidding me.
Old 02-11-03, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
Agreed completely. My friend thought this, but I knew better. Pippen? You gotta be kidding me.
Pippen couldn't hold MJ's jock on the offensive end, and he never had the level of confidence that it takes to be a superstar, but his contribution to the Bulls success was vital. It's a futile excercise to speculate the impossible, but my futile speculation says Jordan couldn't have won titles without Pippen (or somebody as good as Pippen).
Old 02-11-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA. (behind Kevin Garnett )
Old 02-11-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The NFL is the most pitiful professional sports league in America.

- Coaches talking to quarterbacks via mics? Use signals at least since the players are apparently so stupid

- Players celebrating after every little play, imagine if Randy Johnson high fived his infielders and did a little dance EVERY time he threw a strike

- The majority of football players are of minimal talent, they are just big, your average hockey player could easily play most of the positions on a football team, not the other way around

- Parity punishes successful franchises and rewards losers

- 1 game a week? P*****s

- Easily the worst playoffs in professional sports

Ahh, that felt good.

Bring on spring training!
Old 02-11-03, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
I think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA. (behind Kevin Garnett )
TMac is the best player in the NBA.
Old 02-11-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shawn Marion is the best player in the NBA.
Old 02-11-03, 07:05 PM

O.J. Really didnt do it.
Old 02-11-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
i dont know for sure, but i would bet that the costs of attending pro sports games has risen more than inflation over the years.
Old 02-11-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Revenue sharing is idiotic. Why should an owner who paid $500 million to get in the largest market in the country share his profits with a guy who paid $150 million to get into the smallest market in the league? Why should a team like the Mariners share with teams in larger markets that are run poorly?

Pete Rose and Joe Jackson should never be let near the Hall of Fame. People that think Jackson is innocent are naive.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 02-11-03 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-11-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like offseasons because I can actually get work done.
Old 02-11-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Golden State Warriors will be a playoff contender next year
Old 02-11-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Stu 17
O.J. Really didnt do it.
O.J., is that you?
Old 02-11-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch figure skating
Old 02-11-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Johnny Cochran may be an *******, but if you don't think that there are unfair hiring practices in the NFL, explain how Dennis Erickson and Rich Kotite are made it as retreads while Denny Green is unemployed
Old 02-11-03, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Applejack
Johnny Cochran may be an *******, but if you don't think that there are unfair hiring practices in the NFL, explain how Dennis Erickson and Rich Kotite are made it as retreads while Denny Green is unemployed
Maybe it's because that they have the same number of NFL championships as Green.
Old 02-11-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by zuffy
I watch figure skating
In high school, I watched women's figure skating only for Tiffany Chin.

Kristi Yamaguchi Kissme Imahoochie is fugly. Yuka Sato is kinda cute.
Old 02-11-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
I watch figure skating
I do a little too. Those ladies ice skating in that little clothing...I'm there!
Old 02-11-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Despite what people believe, it is entirely possible to have maintained success in the NFL. Parity doesn't force team to be good one year and bad the next.

Poor decisions and bad luck do that. And if you're like San Fran of the mid 90's, Baltimore or Jacksonville recently, or the upcoming Raiders situation (probably) then it's you're own fault. You sign an truckload of players and mortgage your future with a couple year window. Feel free to do that. But teams like St. Louis and New England have won without doing that. Tampa has aquired many players, but has never had that huge salary cap hole.

When 30 teams have a relatively level and legitimate playing field, no team will dominate. not in a sport like football. Too many teams, too many variables. But many teams have maintained a playoff level of success for years. IT IS POSSIBLE.
Old 02-12-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
I do a little too. Those ladies ice skating in that little clothing...I'm there!
Katarina Witt's boobs
Old 02-12-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Applejack
Ask Minnesota fans what they think about Dennis Green.
Old 02-12-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ron Zook will win a TITLE!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.