Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Know anyone who thinks wrestling is real?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-29-03, 11:42 AM
Suspended for multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to work at a warehouse during college, and my co-workers could never understand why the WWF results were not posted in the newspaper.

"Because it's staged entertainment", I said.

Instant uproar ensued.

So, does anyone else know someone who thinks that wrestling is real?
Old 01-29-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not????

runs off crying
Old 01-29-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When me and a buddy went to a Raw show January 2001, it was during the Undertaker/Flair feud. When they showed the tape segment of Flair's kid getting beat up, the folks behind us were shouting "Someone should help him!".
Old 01-29-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a guy I work with, he's 77, and he cleans up the meat room.

He thinks it's real. He also reads the World Weekly News for updates on the real world.
Old 01-29-03, 01:25 PM
~M~

Many moon ago at Williams High School in Plano, TX. I saw Terry Gordy and Kerry Von Eric wrestle. It was then that I realized my brother and I hit each other harder than they do. I still enjoy the match. It's all in the angles.

~M~
Old 01-29-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
the folks behind us were shouting "Someone should help him!".
Old 01-30-03, 04:13 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how wrestling got grouped with sports to begin with.
Old 01-31-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was very young I used to watch All Star Wrestling which was based out of Vancouver. I also used to watch Stampede Wrestling out of Calgary back in the day when The Dynamite Kid and The British Bulldog were the up and comers. Also the training ground for the Harts.

Anyways, my bro and I thought it was all real because you buy into the hype and entertainment of it all. It's that self projection that most young boys do. We used to piledrive/bodyslam/suplex each other off the headboard of our bed. We snapped both of our boxsprings that way. My dad was pissed.

To make a long story short - my dad tried to burst our bubble one Saturday afternoon while we were watching wrestling and he said "It's all fake. It's not real."

To which we replied "It's REAL! Yah, like yesterday so and so piledrived The Cobra onto the cement and that's why he hasn't been wrestling for the last while cuz he was in the hospital recovering from brain damage!"

Ahhhh ... the ignorance of youth.
Old 02-01-03, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by SteveOVig
I'm still trying to figure out how wrestling got grouped with sports to begin with.
Actually, I've been trying to figure out the same thing... Since pro wrestling is known to be "fake", why isn't is discussed in TV Talk or something like that instead of Sports Talk?
Old 02-01-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GuessWho
Sports became the default because it doesn't belong anywhere else.

TV Forum was the only contender, but since only 2 of the approx 8 live arena shows a week are on TV, it's definitely more than a TV show.

75% of people who want to discuss a match they saw live will be talking about a NON-televised event.
From... http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=265767
Old 02-02-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh geez, either you watch it or you don't. Personally I like watching it, it entertains me. To me it's a TV show, I don't take it like it's the real thing even though I do consider many of them athletes and it is hard work.
Old 02-03-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
What's funnier to me is those geniuses who, when they find out you watch wrestling, feel the need to let you in on the fact that "it's all fake"......

When it's a a woman who mentions that "it's not real", I love to point out that neither are soap operas; do they go around telling their friends who watch soap operas that those aren't real either......?

I was flipping stations at my bro's one time when I stopped on RAW. One of his friends came by and pointed out the obvious just as Angle did that insane moonsault off the top of the cage. I asked him to explain to me how that was fake; he said the ring has a lot of bounce/give. Angle does a backflip from ten feet up and lands flat on his belly, and it was the ring that did all the work. Yeah, right.....

Oh, and try to convince someone that blading exists and that it's not all blood packets.....

On a note relating to 'fake' and kayfabe: last week the WWE sent out a memo that all talent is to remain in character while in public 24/7. Seems VKM is trying to put the mystique back into the 'sport', when he was the one that took it out in the first place (the insurance issue) about 12-15 years ago....

Last edited by Jobronie; 02-03-03 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-03-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jobronie
last week the WWE sent out a memo that all talent is to remain in character while in public 24/7. Seems VKM is trying to put the mystique back into the 'sport'
As long as they dont mess with the level of homoeroticism their audience is assured.
Old 02-03-03, 11:53 AM
Banned

Geraldo Rivera will tell you if it's real or not.
Old 02-03-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's funnier to me is those geniuses who, when they find out you watch wrestling, feel the need to let you in on the fact that "it's all fake"......

When it's a a woman who mentions that "it's not real", I love to point out that neither are soap operas; do they go around telling their friends who watch soap operas that those aren't real either......?
Well put Jabronie.
Old 02-03-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

test
Old 02-03-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by agrall
why isn't is discussed in TV Talk or something like that instead of Sports Talk?
As far as WWE goes:

Because only 2 of the 5-10 arena events each week are televised

So, 50-80% of people who want to talk about a match they saw live would be inappropriate in TV Talk
Old 02-03-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lord of the Rings is fake and scripted!!!
Old 02-03-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Professional boxing is legitimate sport, though.

Old 02-03-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahh yes, I love these people. I don't watch wrestling as much but when I used to, I would talk about it in public with my friend and without fail someone would over hear and say "you know thats not real right?" I usually give the "neither are those sitcoms and dramas you watch but do you see me complaining?" And for some reason its always middle aged soccer moms.

I was flipping stations at my bro's one time when I stopped on RAW. One of his friends came by and pointed out the obvious just as Angle did that insane moonsault off the top of the cage. I asked him to explain to me how that was fake; he said the ring has a lot of bounce/give. Angle does a backflip from ten feet up and lands flat on his belly, and it was the ring that did all the work. Yeah, right.....

Oh, and try to convince someone that blading exists and that it's not all blood packets.....
Yeah I agree on these points. Yes everything may be scripted and all but you can't deny the fact that these people are atheletes.
Old 02-04-03, 07:39 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
When they showed the tape segment of Flair's kid getting beat up, the folks behind us were shouting "Someone should help him!".
Old 02-04-03, 07:44 AM

Daren Drozdov, The Dynomite Kid , Superstar Billy Grahm, it's all real enough for them.

Yes it's a staged exibition, that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Kids, don't try this at home...
Old 02-04-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's that easy than i'm sure Steve McMichael, Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone, Lawrence Taylor would have lasted longer than they did.
Old 02-04-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This just in: The Simpsons is FAKE!!!!
Old 02-04-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by joltaddict
As long as they dont mess with the level of homoeroticism their audience is assured.
Nice troll.

Leave the wrestling dorks alone.

(That's a joke, wrestling dorks)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.