Reserves

Stephon Marbury Phoenix
Shawn Marion Phoenix
Steve Nash Dallas
Dirk Nowitzki Dallas
Shaquille O'Neal Lakers
Gary Payton Seattle
Chris Webber Sacramento

I find it interesting that the coach's still voted Jordan in when he made it clear he would like the weekend off. I don't want to even start talking about soft VC. He's played what 10-15 games this season
Old 01-28-03, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yao Ming starting.....give me a break

Shaq

PPG 26.4
RPG 10.8
APG 3.1
SPG .67
BPG 2.03
FG% .557
FT% .597
3P% .000
MPG 37.6

Yao Ming

PPG 12.4
RPG 7.9
APG 1.4
SPG .28
BPG 1.95
FG% .514
FT% .755
3P% .000
MPG 26.9
Old 01-29-03, 03:40 AM

I read some really absurd comments in the Washington Post today.

Jordan's coach said yesterday that if Jordan didn't make the team, one of the guys who did make it should give up their spot.

WTF??? I think the fans have made it clear that they don't like the old Jordan the same way they did the Chicago Bull Jordan. He didn't finish in the top of the votes! We should make one of these young guys feel guilty just because Jordan was good back in his day? Come on.

I don't remember Jordan giving up his all star roster for any older players once in his career. Even when Larry Bird was hurt in 90'-91', Jordan could have given up his spot, but he didn't, because the fan's voted him in.

AND - The Wizard's coach also ranted that Jerry Stackhouse deserved a spot on the roster, as well. Give me a break! How can anyone argue that a losing team, like the Wizards or the Lakers, deserve TWO players on the team? Any team with two guys playing at an all star level cannot possibly be a losing team.

Other than that I'm please for the most part with the results. I wanted to see Mike Finley make it, but I can't argue that any other players in the West should be bumped (well, maybe Stephan Marbury). Also, Sac. seems like they should have more than one player. I guess they'll settle for a title, though.

- Mike
Old 01-29-03, 05:27 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Brad Miller

Two wasted spots....who the hell wants to see these
guys? They do not deserve to go.
Old 01-29-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, Sac. seems like they should have more than one player. I guess they'll settle for a title, though.

- Mike [/B]
Yeah, the one they won when they were the Rochester Royals in 1951.
Old 01-29-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally posted by volvos70turbo
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Brad Miller

Z deserves to go, but I totally agree on Miller...
Old 01-29-03, 01:21 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

I agree that Ilgauskas has been putting up some good numbers, but a lot of his stats are made during garbage time. Plus he plays on a team where he has to score and rebound.
Old 01-29-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by volvos70turbo
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Brad Miller

Yeah. Unforunately the NBA requires at least one back-up center. Given the complete lack of big men in the East (PF and C), that's why one had to go.

Now why they chose both is just stupid and makes no real sense. I suppose the coaches knew they had to pick one back-up center and Miller got half the votes and Z got half the votes, and both ended up with more votes than Stackhouse, Artest, Houston, etc... Pretty lame loophole there

At least Amare Stoudemire didn't make it. I saw him listed on a few "experts" all-star teams, including crackhead Bill Walton. Of course why should I put a shread of thought into anything Bill Walton writes is beyond me. I guess it's my fault for reading it.

A lor of talk for Karl Malone not making it, but he shouldn't. The West is simply too loaded.
Old 01-30-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's talk that McGrady is willing to give his starting spot to Jordan

If anyone should step down it's Carter but...the fans voted him in.
Old 01-30-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deadpool

If anyone should step down it's Carter but...the fans voted him in.
Why should Carter sit? Because he was hurt?

I (and I guess millions of other people who voted) wanna see dunks. I wanna see Vince make everybody go crazy. I dont wanna see boring stuff like Mutombo leading in scoring.

I wanna see TMac throwing it to himself off the backboard in traffic stuff man. Or that VC elbow hanging.

Everybody talks **** about Vince but they cheer just as loud as anybody when he does his thing.
Old 01-30-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess this brings up the question of who should be in the All-Star game? The best players? Or the ones who look the best playing?
Old 01-30-03, 06:07 PM
Banned

Pierce should be starting. But either way, I'm glad him and Walker is on the team.
Old 01-31-03, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Jordan turned down offers from Tracy McGrady and Allen Iverson to relinquish their starting spots in the All-Star game.

McGrady, the Orlando guard who led the Eastern Conference in fan balloting, made his offer Thursday. Iverson made a similar offer in a private phone call a week and a half ago, Jordan revealed Thursday night before Washington's game against Milwaukee.

"It's not like I've never had a start. I've had plenty of starts," Jordan said.

Jordan said McGrady and Iverson are "entitled to" their starting status, but he appreciated the offers nonetheless.

"It shows what type of people they are, about the history of the game, about guys who have paved the way," Jordan said. "I would have done it for Dr. J. and I'm sure Dr. J. would have done it for someone else.

"That, to me, just shows how much they care about the game. I take it as a compliment, but I would rather for them to play and start and let me come off the bench."

Jordan said Iverson called him after the starting lineups were announced earlier this month.

"He said, 'If you don't mind, I'd like to step aside and let you start,"' Jordan recounted. "No one knew about it. He called me personally and I didn't make it known."
Old 01-31-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RaptorsFan

Yes To be a great player you have to play. He was deserving before, but not for this year. He was injured. He only played 12 or so games. With him in the line-up for those few games his team doesn't have a winning record (4-5).

Should Marshall Faulk have been a participant let alone a starter in the NFL Pro Bowl this year? NO, but he's there because of past performance. Same for VC in this years All-Star game.
Old 01-31-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RaptorsFan bleeds purple. I would be shocked if he said anything differently. If VC was traded tommorow he would be telling us how overrated he was immediately.
Old 01-31-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I never thought I would see the day when someone came out looking worse than Iverson, but Vince is gonna end up looking bad because of this all-star deal. Not necessarily fair, but that's how it is gonna be.
Old 01-31-03, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I never thought I would see the day when someone came out looking worse than Iverson, but Vince is gonna end up looking bad because of this all-star deal. Not necessarily fair, but that's how it is gonna be.
Is this the same Iverson who called Jordan in secret to offer his starting spot over a week before T-Mac publicly did the same thing?
Old 01-31-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Chopper
Is this the same Iverson who called Jordan in secret to offer his starting spot over a week before T-Mac publicly did the same thing?
Yeah, what's the point. TMac and Iverson offering their spots to Jordan automatically makes them look better and VC look worse.

For the record, I think the all-star game is about the fans and they vote in who they want to see. If they would rather see VC, then so be it. If the fans really wanted to see Jordan start, they would have voted for him. Every year there are players who are voted in who are not one of the best 5 that year, but is has been really controversial this year for some reason.
Old 01-31-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Replace Webber with Stoyakovic
Old 01-31-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Jordan not making the all-star team would have been kinda cool, and that's coming from someone who's been a huge fan from the start. Even someone like Jalen Rose is putting up more impressive numbers. Statistically speaking, Jordan doesn't belong there. Neither does Yao Ming really.
Old 01-31-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RaptorsFan
Uhm, yeah. Because only an idiot thinks he belongs as an All-Star this year. It is an embarassment that he got voted in.
Old 01-31-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound
I think Jordan not making the all-star team would have been kinda cool, and that's coming from someone who's been a huge fan from the start. Even someone like Jalen Rose is putting up more impressive numbers. Statistically speaking, Jordan doesn't belong there. Neither does Yao Ming really.
Before one goes after Jordan, you first have to displace at least Brad Miller
Old 02-01-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
Before one goes after Jordan, you first have to displace at least Brad Miller
Yeah, he doesn't belong there either. And there's not even the "Final All-Star Game" (for the third time) angle there.
Old 02-01-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by effigy
Pierce should be starting. But either way, I'm glad him and Walker is on the team.
Over whom? He's listed as a SG, and if he was a guard on the ballot, then he should have lost to both McGrady and Kidd.
Old 02-01-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
Uhm, yeah. Because only an idiot thinks he belongs as an All-Star this year. It is an embarassment that he got voted in.
Whoa, gotta watch out for us idiots.

Sorry, but if you wanna see boring ass ball watch the Knicks vs Utah or something. This is the all star game, and Vince is the most exciting player in the east and maybe the L.

Vince already missed last years game and his fans wanna see him do his thing. And I want him to represent my home city. If I wanna see Jordan in an All Star game I want it to be the old school Jordan, not the one who blew a dunk on a breakaway last year. Jordan does not excite me anymore, not since he's been a Wizard. And this from a guy who grewup with MJ.

If the idiots wanted to see MJ we would have voted that way. nuff said.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.