Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Rock to QUIT wrestling after WM XIX

http://www.1wrestling.com/news/newsline.asp?news=12246

Hogan vs. Rock at No Way Out.

Hogan brings in Goldberg.

Goldberg vs. Rock at WM.

Bye Bye Rock.

I can't say thats totally shocking, but .. that does leave a "wow" on my face.

1 wrestling is SUPER realiable, but take that for what it's worth.
Old 01-25-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1wrestling? Super reliable?

Old 01-25-03, 09:16 PM
Banned

So basicly you made yourself look like a fool.

Originally posted by WildcatLH
1wrestling? Super reliable?

Uh, what?

It is. Probally one of the top 5 wrestling sites when it comes down to realiable. It's ran by Joey Styles and Dave Scherer, and I believe Dave Meltzer.

So, what exactly are you laughing at? Let me guess, you visit sites like WrestleZone, or WrestlingPlanet? Eh?
Old 01-25-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bob Ryder? That you?

Meltzer has nothing to do with 1wrestling. Scherer was bought out by Ryder years ago.

Ryder was really great a long time ago. All the way back in the days when he was the leader of the wrestling boards on Prodigy. But I lost respect for that site a while ago.

(oh, and in case you're wondering, I don't read any sites save for wrestlingobserver.com). I'm not denying the truthfulness of this report, but I've read one too many "Bret Hart is about to re-join WWF/E" reports on that site.
Old 01-25-03, 09:28 PM
Banned

I see your point, I don't TOTALLY believe, but I don't totally think it's false. It could go either way.

The article could be false (it is a column), but when you say 1W isn't reliable, well .. that's the funny part.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. But for now, it's something to discuss.
Old 01-25-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Having seen the Scorpion King, I'm pretty sure the Rock will never win an oscar.

Having seen how much the Scorpion King somehow made at the Box Office, I think the Rock can make a decent living in movies for awhile.
Old 01-25-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally posted by sexy_overlord
Having seen the Scorpion King, I'm pretty sure the Rock will never win an oscar.

Having seen how much the Scorpion King somehow made at the Box Office, I think the Rock can make a decent living in movies for awhile.
With Helldorado finishing and Kamehameha and Walking Tall around the corner, it's better that he leave wrestling. His movie career is doing a helluva lot better than Hogan's. Besides.. the only way for him to come back now is as a heel.
Old 01-25-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darn.
Old 01-25-03, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH
Bob Ryder? That you?

Meltzer has nothing to do with 1wrestling. Scherer was bought out by Ryder years ago.

Ryder was really great a long time ago. All the way back in the days when he was the leader of the wrestling boards on Prodigy. But I lost respect for that site a while ago.

(oh, and in case you're wondering, I don't read any sites save for wrestlingobserver.com). I'm not denying the truthfulness of this report, but I've read one too many "Bret Hart is about to re-join WWF/E" reports on that site.
That doesn't make sense...

And 1wrestling is "usually" pretty much right on....
Old 01-26-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
My general rule is never trust a site with news that has more then 10 sites. 1wrestling falls under that.

Worst site EVAR!!!!
Old 01-26-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if The Rock does quit wrestling after WM 19 I'd still imagine him making a return down the line. Wrestling is probably one of those things that you just can't walk away from. When demand for The Rock in Hollywood slows down he'll probably return.

This is a smart decision on The Rock's behalf. He might as well rake in the money from Hollywood while he can.
Old 01-26-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the Rock may do this, but he won't be gone forever.

Once he's not a WWE superstar, I bet his box office draw falls...
Old 01-26-03, 09:25 PM
Banned

So you wanted a better source? WrestlingObserver:

There is a lot of news going around lately about the Rock, causing a lot of controversy and a lot of speculation about what is true and what isn't. A story released by 1wrestling.com earlier this weekend basically had the major points below:
- He would return as a heel.
- He would face Hulk Hogan at No Way Out.
- He would possibly face Goldberg (who visited him at the sets of his latest movie) at Wrestlemania.
- He has bought the rights to his name "The Rock" from WWE.
- He may retire from wrestling for good later this year.

Apparently, most of these items if not all, are indeed true. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer states that Rock will indeed return to wrestle Hogan at No Way Out, with the possibility being that Vince McMahon will interfere in the match to cost Hogan the win and unite with the Rock as a heel alliance, possibly as the Corporation. From there, Hogan would face Vince at Wrestlemania and Hogan could possibly bring in Goldberg to face the Rock there as well, though no deal between Goldberg and WWE has thus far been reached.

Meltzer also confirmed that Goldberg did actually stop by to meet Rock on the set of Helldorado and that the Rock had officially bought "The Rock" trademark from WWE, which would allow him to use that name for other purposes without WWE's consent or input.

And finally, as it pertains to Rock leaving wrestling - right now they are just rumors but the Rock has not committed to anything with WWE past April.
Old 01-26-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by effigy
...and that the Rock had officially bought "The Rock" trademark from WWE, which would allow him to use that name for other purposes without WWE's consent or input.
Wow. That must've cost Dwayne a pretty penny. Does that mean that Vince/WWE won't be getting a cut of future earnings?
Old 01-27-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Oh well. Maybe they could retain the Rock so that he can teach others how to actually work a mike (Nowinski, Lesnar, etc)
Old 01-27-03, 10:25 AM

Hell, I thought it made more sense for Hogan to wrestle McMahon at No Way Out, have the Rock interfere on McMahon's behalf in some kind of rekindling of the Corporation, then Rock-Hogan II at WMania, forget Goldberg.

I'm amazed that WWE would bring Rock and Hogan back for a match at No Way Out.
Old 01-27-03, 12:36 PM

Well Rock would have to come back tonight or next week for this to be true. It is cutting it very close with little time to setup the matches so I can't see this happening.
Old 01-27-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by MFRONE
Well Rock would have to come back tonight or next week for this to be true. It is cutting it very close with little time to setup the matches so I can't see this happening.
Rock's a Smackdown star, so his return would be at the Tuesday taping of the Thursday show