Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Yao & Shaq

Old 01-18-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yao & Shaq

Anyone watch the game last night? Great game! Although the officiating was horrendous on both ends of the court.

This is one of the few times that I actually enjoyed the first 5 minutes of the game! I actually thought for a little while there that Yao was going to dominate Shaq for the whole game. 5 blocks on Shaq. That had to be weird for him to actually have to worry about someone being able to block him. Nonetheless, I think Yao held up pretty well. I'm looking forward to future LA/Houston games.

On a side note, I'm glad Yao took Shaq's teasing in stride. I'm Asian and though I did find Shaq's comments to be insensitive and foolish, I'm happy that Yao showed some class and held himself above retaliation. I think he recognizes the importance of being a representative for his country. Let the OCA make its protests. I think they're justified. But at the same time, I hope they don't expect Yao to be similarly offended.
Old 01-18-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, Yao showed a lot of class. In reference to the game, he contained Shaq very well imo. Great game. Stevie Franchise baby!!!
Old 01-18-03, 01:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't think anyone was as surprised as Shaq was. Yao looks like he could be the first center since Hakeem was in his prime to give Shaq problems.
Old 01-18-03, 02:03 PM
Suspended

More competition for Shaq the better. Shaq still put up way better numbers last night though than Yao.
Old 01-18-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MJKTool
Shaq still put up way better numbers last night though than Yao.
And a big fat L to show for it.
Old 01-18-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More competition for Shaq the better. Shaq still put up way better numbers last night though than Yao.
No, but nobody was expecting him to compete with him in numbers. The important thing was that he wasn't fazed by him and actually made things difficult for him. As they said before the game, no one can contain Shaq. You just gotta be able to neutralize him. Besides, the numbers aren't always everything. In big part because of Yao, Stevie was able to put up his numbers with all the screens Yao set.
Old 01-18-03, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by joltaddict
And a big fat L to show for it.
You would know about the big fat L, since that's all you have been seeing for awhile now with the Sixers
Old 01-18-03, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by hahn
Besides, the numbers aren't always everything. In big part because of Yao, Stevie was able to put up his numbers with all the screens Yao set.
Shaq does the exact same thing...only difference is Shaq can put the ball in the hoop as well as create opportunites for other players.
Old 01-18-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You would know about the big fat L, since that's all you have been seeing for awhile now with the Sixers
And theyre STILL Higher in the standings than Cubby & Co.
Old 01-18-03, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Not for long my friend
Old 01-18-03, 03:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Shaq does the exact same thing...only difference is Shaq can put the ball in the hoop as well as create opportunites for other players.
From what little I've seen of Yao, he's hella more talented than Shaq on the offensive side. Shaq is a dump truck, he backs up and dumps the ball in the hoop. Yao has some decent moves.
Old 01-18-03, 03:30 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
From what little I've seen of Yao, he's hella more talented than Shaq on the offensive side. Shaq is a dump truck, he backs up and dumps the ball in the hoop. Yao has some decent moves.
A basket is a basket. Shaq had 31 points, Yao had 10. Who was more valuable on the offensive side?
Old 01-18-03, 03:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

True dat.
Old 01-18-03, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Ohh I also forgot. Sixers are in the EAST!!
5 of the 8 playoff spots are taken by .500 teams!
Old 01-18-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Yao had some nice blocks against Shaq... then he started to get posterized. Then it was a hug-fest.

Wo ai nee, Shaq.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-18-03 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-18-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well it's not a tennis match, so individual stats are not a true story of what happened. Shaq came in to make a statement right off the bat and was denied 4 times in a row. With Yao scoring very early Francis was able to make a huge impact in the end.

Do the Lakers play defense anymore? Loved that shot Kobe made at the end. That was definitely a 9.8.

Also, not a true center, Rodman always threw Shaq off is game and gave him fits.

This was a great game, new rivalry, that the zzzz' fest the NBA needs.
Old 01-18-03, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Flashback
Well it's not a tennis match, so individual stats are not a true story of what happened. Shaq came in to make a statement right off the bat and was denied 4 times in a row.
I wont deny the fact that Yao shook Shaq just a bit, but it's silly to try and say that Yao had a better game. The stats DO prove that Shaq was better head to head.
Old 01-18-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wont deny the fact that Yao shook Shaq just a bit, but it's silly to try and say that Yao had a better game. The stats DO prove that Shaq was better head to head.
No one said that he had a better game. Just that he didn't get spanked is good enough for his 1st encounter. You're talking about an 11 yr veteran vs a rookie who's new to the country. But he does have the potential. If you remember the game against San Antonio, he took down Tim Duncan AND David Robinson. That game shows what he may be capable of on a consistent basis in the future when he gets more seasoned.
Old 01-18-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Decent moves sure. Better balanced attack, sure. But the problem is Shaq is stoppable. Stopping Shaq consistantly with the ball in the paint is impossible. Yao may have a better all round game but unstoppable is pretty much my preference if I have a choice.

And Toolboy... third in the East sure beats the hell out of tenth or eleventh in the West no matter what measuring stick you use.
Old 01-18-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And BTW, even slumping the Sixers managed to beat the Lakers.
Old 01-18-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hahn
No one said that he had a better game. Just that he didn't get spanked is good enough for his 1st encounter. You're talking about an 11 yr veteran vs a rookie who's new to the country.
That's the key right there. Yao really did do a good job defending Shaq (a lot of Shaq's points were when Yao was sitting down, 4th quarter notwithstanding); much better than many anticipated, it seems. What's amazing is that he is just a rookie and Shaq's been in the league for 11 years like hahn pointed out. And let's give Yao some credit. He pulled a double-double and 6 blocks, not to mention the many (sometimes not-so-effective, but sometimes very well-played) screens he set that opened up Stevie for the open jumper or drive through the lane.
Old 01-18-03, 05:42 PM
Suspended

And Toolboy... third in the East sure beats the hell out of tenth or eleventh in the West no matter what measuring stick you use.
True....but:

Lakers = On the upswing

Sixers = On the downswing

Old 01-18-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lakers = On the upswing

I wouldnt call beating up on cripples like Denver, Toronto, Seattle, Cleveland and Miami a streak. Espeically when you lose to Philly, Sac and Housten to bookend it.
Old 01-18-03, 05:52 PM
Suspended

I wouldnt call beating up on cripples like Denver, Toronto, Seattle, Cleveland and Miami a streak. Espeically when you lose to Philly, Sac and Housten to bookend it.
Hey a win is a win.....no matter what kind of measuring stick you use.
Old 01-18-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahhh but I didnt say they werent wins. I said it doesnt qualify as a streak.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.