Reload this Page >

WWE Royal Rumble 01/19/03

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-17-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunday January 19th, 8pm eastern, 5pm pacific.

Royal Rumble
featuring 15 SmackDown! and 15 RAW Superstars
Raw Superstars list: Maven, Batista, Jeff Hardy, Christopher Nowinski, Goldust, Tommy Dreamer, Chris Jericho, Rosey, Jamal, Test, Booker T, Christian, Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam and Kane.

WWE Championship
Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle

World Heavyweight Championship
Scott Steiner vs. Triple H

Stepdaughter vs. Stepmother
Torrie Wilson vs. Dawn Marie

Winner Enters The Rumble
Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show

World Tag Team Championship
Dudley Boyz vs. William Regal and Lance Storm

The Return of the Undertaker
Old 01-17-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aslong as the dead man comes back as exactly that, The night will be worth it to me.

Now, wheres the list of rumble members?

any word on austin?
Old 01-17-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Now, wheres the list of rumble members?

any word on austin?
I only found the Raw list. If someone finds the SD! list, I'll update my original post.

Seems obvious (imho) that Austin is going to come back based on the '30 days to fix Raw' thing, so he wouldn't even appear at the Rumble.

How lame is the Big Slow/Brock match. A couple PPV's ago, they fought for the big gold belt. Now they are in a 'play-in' match for the Rumble.
Old 01-17-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I only found the Raw list. If someone finds the SD! list, I'll update my original post.
Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Rikishi, Tajiri, Matt Hardy, Edge, Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, John Cena, Bill DeMott, A-Train, B2, Eddie Guerrero, The Big Show OR Brock Lesnar, and one unannounced person
Old 01-17-03, 06:50 PM

I'LL BE THERE

WHOO

ummm...but the Fleet Center is not letting me bring my Digital Camera in...this stinks, so I bought 2 Disposable cameras
Old 01-17-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by El Talon Del Monstruo
ummm...but the Fleet Center is not letting me bring my Digital Camera in...this stinks
Wow. And I thought the Red Sox were the only reason Boston sucked...

If I were you, and that digital camera wasn't that big, i'd Pulp Fiction that bad boy...
Old 01-17-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap! I asked for the wrong Sunday night off for work!!! I NEVER miss a Royal Rumble!!!

I guess I could Tivo it, but it just isn't the same
Old 01-19-03, 01:45 PM
Banned

Should be good, esp. the main event. I'll be watching tonight.
Old 01-19-03, 10:01 PM

Royal errrrr FUMBLE more like it

Love my play on words? Well it was just about the only entertaining thing I managed to get out of the ROYAL RUMBLE....where do I begin? A lil background...I'm a loyal fan since I was 5 years old...I find myself disgusted with tonight's PPV.

First of all HBK and Undertaker were totally misused tonight and I cannot come up with any words as to how they bungled these two up...Secondly a DQ in the HHH match????? How freakin 80's and thirdly is it every minute....er scratch that every 2 minutes....er scratch that every 90 seconds er less than a minute or more than 2 minutes, that a superstar is supposed to come down??? The time intervals were totally off tonight...can they NOT EVEN GET THIS RIGHT??? They have 2 gimmick PPV's...Survivor Series has now gone to hell that last few years, SO WHY MESS WITH THE RULES OF THE RUMBLE????? Im supposed to be entertained by watching this, not picking it apart and being disappointed. I realize there are those who were entertained tonight and hey that's cool...but WWE writers are ignoring the older fans in my opinion and I am seriously considering making my viewing time less....sorry had to rant..
Old 01-19-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steve Austin come back ??
Old 01-19-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Benoit/Angle match made the whole pay per view worth while. I was on the edge during that one, damn I want Benoit to get the strap.
Old 01-19-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
As usual, Benoit and Angle become the only things worth watching in the entire PPV. I was surprised that they were able to get the fans involved after that borefest title match before it.
Old 01-19-03, 10:51 PM
Banned

Not a good PPV. Only match worth watching was Benoit/Angle. That, once again was a great match, but the other than that, bah.
Old 01-19-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HHH should have squashed Stiener
Old 01-19-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

didn't think the PPV was too bad, Angle V Benoit was an awesome display, just when I didn't think they could raise the bar they've set any higher but they manged to, just awesome.

Steiner vs. HHH was a ton more entertaining than I thought it'd be. Decent match.

The rumble itself was too predictable but still not too bad.

Everthing was was pretty much a waste of time but still somewhat entertaining, not too bad of a PPV 7.0 out of 10.
Old 01-19-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My poor VCR must be tired from all the fast-forwarding I did (I got off work late so I had to watch the first 90 minutes on tape).

Big Show vs. Brock Lesnar
Not too bad. The feats of strength were impressive but the match was just missing the airing of grievances to put it over the hump of being average.

Dudleyz vs. Storm/Regal
I don't give a damn_about Storm/Regal so I FF'd this match.

Dawn Marie vs. Torrie Wilson
Why couldn't there have been a Victoria vs. Trish match instead? I only watched this match for the obvious reasons. This angle makes me glad that I can't watch SD!

HHH vs. Scott Steiner
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle
The usual great match from these two guys. The WWE needs to have an ironman match between these two at some point in time. It would, without a doubt, be the best match...ever.

Royal Rumble match
Predictable but entertaining. I like how they're building the Jericho/HBK feud. at Maven for thinking he eliminated Taker for the 2nd year in a row.

Final Thoughts
An "ehh" PPV. I'll watch it again for the Benoit/Angle match. No Steve Austin (probably see him within the next 23 days). As for the "bombshells" promised by Steph and Bischoff...I have no clue maybe Austin for Bischoff and The Rock for Steph?
Old 01-20-03, 12:37 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess the Undertaker came back with his crappy "American Bad Ass" gimmick. I was actually going to start watching again if they brought back the old school taker.
Old 01-20-03, 08:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by MrX
I guess the Undertaker came back with his crappy "American Bad Ass" gimmick. I was actually going to start watching again if they brought back the old school taker.
He's worthless either way, but atleast with the Dead Man gimmick, he could be fairly entertaining. It was a let down to see his Bad Ass gimmick. Bleh.
Old 01-20-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jericho got robbed!!

I had fun watching it, as mentioned before, the Angle/Benoit match was top marks. The Rumble itself was good up until entry #20 or so. Once all of the heavey guys were in it started to get pretty lame. I did get a kick out of Maven trying to recreate his accomplishment at last year's Rumble.

Brock vs Angle at WM? Sounds good to me!
Old 01-20-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
PPV thoughts: yawwwwnn
Old 01-20-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
So...what was the point of showing the Dead Man promos?