Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Mariucci/49ers part ways

Old 01-15-03, 12:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mariucci/49ers part ways

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0115/1493146.html

To bad, I was hoping Ferentz would take that Jags job so I could watch the meltdown from Iowa fans, now it looks like Mooch will head there now
Old 01-15-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Mooch and the Jags certainly seems like a great fit. He might very well be able to revitalize Mark Brunell.
Old 01-15-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Bill Walsh' is an egomaniac. I'd like to see him win a title in the day and age of the salary cap.

I assume the Niners will be pursuing Dennis Green or Ray Rhodes. They may end up hiring them both.
Old 01-15-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
Bill Walsh' is an egomaniac. I'd like to see him win a title in the day and age of the salary cap.

I assume the Niners will be pursuing Dennis Green or Ray Rhodes. They may end up hiring them both.
Been talk of Ray Rhodes going to Seattle and try to do something with that poor defense. Unless it's a head coaching job I don't think Rhodes will go there.
Old 01-15-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks that he was fired, but I kind of wanted to see him leave to go somewhere else. I like the idea of him going to Jacksonville, to try to revitalize Mark Brunell.
Old 01-15-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's been talk here that if he was fired, that the Lions would try hard to get him to come there. The owners affirmed Whininwhig was safe for another year, but i don't think they could afford to pass up an opportunity to get a coach of Mariucci's caliber....at least i hope not. There's always been speculation that he would come to MI one way or the other since his best friend is Izzo at MSU and they grew up together in the UP. This should be interesting.
Old 01-15-03, 01:50 PM
Banned

As a San Franciscan, I expect to see this coming despite all the ballyhooed feelings about his future with the Niners.
Old 01-15-03, 01:54 PM
Banned

I just heard on the radio that Danny Green (more speculation) might be the next possible guy at the helm.

Maruicci's record:
His overall record with the Niners over six seasons was 57-39.
Old 01-15-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who didn't see this coming? But Mariucci is in my book a good coach, so he'll land on his feet. I personally don't think this was the right move for S.F., but we'll see who they hire.
Old 01-15-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How many coaches go to the playoffs, win one, and then lose one, and get fired the next week?
Old 01-15-03, 02:04 PM

As a NY Giants fan, I have one word for Mariuci:

BUMMER!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
Old 01-15-03, 02:54 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

What the hell did mooch ever do that was so great? He was fortunate enough to fall into a great system. Walsh built a great team for him to coach. He never really did anything at Cal, and he would have never won the superbowl with the niners. Only problem now is finding a coach to replace him.
Old 01-15-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bad move by the Niners, good move for the Jaguars.
Old 01-15-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by volvos70turbo
What the hell did mooch ever do that was so great? He was fortunate enough to fall into a great system. Walsh built a great team for him to coach. He never really did anything at Cal, and he would have never won the superbowl with the niners. Only problem now is finding a coach to replace him.

It was a great system before the salary cap. The salary cap should have brought the whole system down but Mooch kept the ship afloat.

For him to take the Niners to 4 playoff appearances in 6 seasons was nothing short of remarkable. He kept them in contention when the salary cap should have destroyed this franchise (see Dallas). Yes they never got to a Super Bowl but I never really thought they had the best talent in the NFC in any of those years anyway. The Niners went from Young to Garcia, Rice to Owens, and Garner to Hearst without missing a beat.

49er fans were far too spoiled with Walsh. He and Seifert did not have to deal with a salary cap plus they had a owner and GM who would go out and spend spend spend on the best talent.
Old 01-15-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I always thought he did a pretty respectable job as their head coach, especially considering that they had been in salary cap hell for the past several seasons and would finally be out from under that this winter (I think) and have the chance to possibly go after some quality free agents. Oh well, life will go on for my Niners and I don't think Mariucci will have a rough time finding a job.

I hope they do indeed go after Dennis Green - he's worked there and knows the system and I am sure Walsh loves the guy.
Old 01-15-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
The Niners went from Young to Garcia, Rice to Owens, and Garner to Hearst without missing a beat.
Garcia is Walsh's boy... Mooch drafted Druckenmiller. Owens was drafted in 96, Mooch was not the coach. Hearst was signed as a FA in 97, Mooch's first year at the helm, you think he was responsible for that? What is your point again?

Facts - Mooch did a good job with what he had. He did not rebuild the team. Management is responsible for digging the 49ers out of salary cap hell. Walsh is responsible for bringing in Garcia. Mooch does not balance the books, he is a coach. A good coach, yes, a championship coach? Not likely. Not with his run, 3 yard screen, quick slant, punt philosophy. The only reason he won a playoff game this season is because he was forced to abandon his usual conservative play calling and let his players take over. Is it Mooch's fault that the 49ers got stomped by Tampa? No. But he never would have been there in the first place if not for Garcia and Owens, neither of whom are Mooch players if you'll recall. So, thanks for everything Mooch and here's hoping you'll land on your feet. The 49ers will be fine.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 01-15-03 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by volvos70turbo
He never had a superbowl team handed to him. 49er's have a few star players, but they were never a threat to win a superbowl.
Old 01-15-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mooch is the goat here and I wish him well.

He inherited a team devastated by the salary cap

Weathered the storm.

Now they are pretty good and they eject him.

Not too surprising but I would think he get them there in a year or two.
Old 01-15-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Garcia is Walsh's boy... Mooch drafted Druckenmiller. Owens was drafted in 96, Mooch was not the coach. Hearst was signed as a FA in 97, Mooch's first year at the helm, you think he was responsible for that? What is your point again?

Facts - Mooch did a good job with what he had. He did not rebuild the team. Management is responsible for digging the 49ers out of salary cap hell. Walsh is responsible for bringing in Garcia. Mooch does not balance the books, he is a coach. A good coach, yes, a championship coach? Not likely. Not with his run, 3 yard screen, quick slant, punt philosophy. The only reason he won a playoff game this season is because he was forced to abandon his usual conservative play calling and let his players take over. Is it Mooch's fault that the 49ers got stomped by Tampa? No. But he never would have been there in the first place if not for Garcia and Owens, neither of whom are Mooch players if you'll recall. So, thanks for everything Mooch and here's hoping you'll land on your feet. The 49ers will be fine.

There is more to it than simple player acquisition. I was not giving credit to Mooch for bringing the guys in - he was not a GM. I give him credit for seemlessly keeping the Niners at a high level of play despite the numerous changes. In the late 90s, I would hardly say that they had a lot of talent on those teams. They had a few excellent players at a few key positions but they were bad-mediocre everywhere else and they were certainly not deep.

Yes it is upper-level mgmt to deal with the cap. However, there were a couple of years (particularly '99) where the Niners should have sucked but Mooch got them to the playoffs.
Old 01-15-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bad bad bad move on the Niners part
Old 01-15-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as Mooch can be criticized for his conservative playcalling this year (the 3-yard screens, the running calls on 2nd-and-long), he did a lot with the team the past few years before, in my opinion. And no, maybe those guys weren't HIS guys, but he's also not the GM...

A big reason why I think he got fired:

He's not management's guy either. He was there from the Eddie DeBartolo and Carmen Policy days, before York and Donahue took over the team. He's the only guy left from that age of ownership. Not a knock on him or anything, but I think that they've had different philosophies and different visions for the organization.
Old 01-15-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

I hope the people who are saying they won't miss Mooch don't think that they can simply plug Denny Green in and all will be well. Now if you want to talk about a guy who couldn't get things done with oodles of talent, there is Exhibit A. I'm still trying to figure how that '98 team could not make it to the Super Bowl. That was a scoring machine.
Old 01-15-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mnguye10

He's not management's guy either. He was there from the Eddie DeBartolo and Carmen Policy days, before York and Donahue took over the team. He's the only guy left from that age of ownership. Not a knock on him or anything, but I think that they've had different philosophies and different visions for the organization.
This would be absolutely correct... Very much a "big" reason.

There's nothing bad, bad, bad about this... It's good for all involved. Mooch has never been "their guy", now he's free to land a big $$ gig and the 49ers are not going to cease operation simply because Mooch is not the coach.

I have no thoughts one way or the other on Denny Green as of yet... His name is pure speculation in the media.
Old 01-15-03, 05:43 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Although I'm glad to see Mooch go, I can't believe York didn't even make the announcement, what a wimp.
Old 01-15-03, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mnguye10

Why wait til now? Why not let him go to Tampa last year if management is unhappy with him? He afterall broke the team guideline for speaking to Tampa without management's knowledge. It's plain and simply. His play calling does not fit in SF's offense. I said this before. Niners should retain Seifert.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.