Reload this Page >

UVA @ Duke, Maryland @ Wake tonight

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-15-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Virginia has the ability to play with anyone or get blown out by anyone. Gillen isn't a good coach but they have talent down there. It's probably too much to ask of them to win at Duke though.

The MD--Wake game is huge! Maryland can keep up with Duke in the standings with a win and Wake needs this game to remain in the hunt for the regular season ACC title. If Maryland wins, the Duke game on Saturday should be for first place

ACC Wednesday rules!
Old 01-15-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Classic look-ahead games for Duke and Maryland. I think Duke easily wins at home. I do not like this spot for Maryland - 1st true road game of the season, Wake is coming off a spanking, Maryland could get caught looking ahead to Duke. Frankly, I haven't been this pessimistic about a Maryland game in a long time. I will be a bit surprised if they steal this game in Winston Salem.
Old 01-15-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From what I've seen, Wake fans aren't all that optimistic about the game and with Gray out they are thin in the backcourt. I didn't see their game against Duke but they played like total crap. If we jump on them early it could snowball.
Old 01-16-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

As I suspected, it was not to be for Maryland. Good comeback attempt though. Had they come back, that truly would have been a 'steal.' Wake did what they are supposed to do, especially as an upper echelon team, hold serve at home.
Old 01-16-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Old 01-16-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by weargle
Yeah smile now, hopefully the Terps will be turning that smile upside down come Saturday.
A win Saturday will erase most of the effects of these four loses the Terps have had and could propel the Terps on a nice win streak. A lose on Saturday could really hurt the outcome of the season.
Old 01-16-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well Red Dog, you had a good reason to be pessimistic - I thought they might come back and take it.

Nice try Virginia, maybe next time.
Old 01-16-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by zak52
Yeah smile now, hopefully the Terps will be turning that smile upside down come Saturday.
When I do a cartwheel?
Old 01-16-03, 04:40 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UMD is in trouble. They need a turn around quick or their going to the NIT.

I think I jinxed them. I did the same thing at WVU. I started school their after the Sweet Sixteen season, and the basketball program sunk like a stone. Now I start grad school at UMD after the championship season, and look at the start they're off to.
Old 01-16-03, 07:04 PM

Damn, this midnight shift sucks. I didn't even know about Maryland-Wake playing. Though I don't look forward to this match up, being a grad of boths school and all...

I usually root for the team that NEEDS the win more to reach the post season.
Old 01-16-03, 10:01 PM
Retired

No match up to look forward to. The UMD-Wake game was last night. Wake won. Built a big lead (17 or so I think) and withstood a big MD rally.
Old 01-17-03, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
No match up to look forward to. The UMD-Wake game was last night. Wake won. Built a big lead (17 or so I think) and withstood a big MD rally.
I was referring to the matchup in general. They play at least twice a year, and I go through the same thing every time they play... Who should I root for THIS time?
Old 01-17-03, 11:28 AM
Retired

By your logic of rooting for whoever needs the win more to make the tournament, you should root for UMD next time. They need to pick up some big wins in a hurry, or they're going to the NIT.

Wake is ranked, and has only lost one game.
Old 01-17-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
By your logic of rooting for whoever needs the win more to make the tournament, you should root for UMD next time. They need to pick up some big wins in a hurry, or they're going to the NIT.

Wake is ranked, and has only lost one game.

If Maryland finishes in the top-4 (and maybe 5) of the ACC, they will go to the NCAAs. I think it is extremely unlikely that they finish lower than 4th.