White Sox acquire Bartolo Colon

Old 01-15-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three-team deal also involves Yankees
By Damon P. Young / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The White Sox have been looking to solidy their rotation behind ace left-hander Mark Beuhrle and did so Wednesday by acquiring Montreal ace Bartolo Colon in a three-way deal involving the Yankees.
The White Sox acquired Colon and minor-league infielder Jorge Nunez from the Expos in exchange for pitcher Rocky Biddle, pitcher Orlando Hernandez, outfielder Jeff Liefer and cash considerations.

Hernandez was obtained from the Yankees, along with cash considerations, for pitcher Antonio Osuna and minor-league pitcher Delvis Lantigua.

The move is a huge boost to the White Sox in their effort to overtake the Minnesota Twins, defending champions of the AL Central. With a powerful lineup that features sluggers Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko, Frank Thomas, Carlos Lee, Jose Valentin and youngsters Joe Crede and D'Angelo Jimenez, the Sox were in need of an experienced arm in the rotation behind Beuhrle. Colon fits the bill and then some.

Colon, 29, went a combined 20-8 with a 2.93 ERA in 33 starts for Cleveland and Montreal in 2002. He will earn $8.25 million this season, the final year of a five-year, $17.25 million contract that he signed in 1999. In six seasons, Colon is 85-49 with a 3.85 ERA in 177 big-league starts.

"We have been discussing with the Expos various ways we could acquire Bartolo for quite some time," said White Sox general manager Ken Williams.

"There were very few pitchers of his caliber available this offseason, and we really like the potential of a Bartolo Colon-Mark Buehrle combination at the top of our rotation, followed by Jon Garland and Danny Wright. Bartolo's statistics -- 20 victories, eight complete games, almost 150 strikeouts -- speak to the type of impact pitcher he can be for a team."

---------------------------------------

Awesome deal for the Sox, even if Colon only stays through '03. Yanks get help in the pen (Osuna) for a superfluous starting pitcher, plus they keep Colon from the BoSox.

Boy, I bet the Expos wished they had taken that Nick Johnson deal at the Winter Meetings.

Good day to be a Sox fan.

Also, word has it the Sox are going to sign Flash Gordon to fill the spot vacated by Osuna.
Old 01-15-03, 10:54 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If Colon can stay healthy that is huge. And we gave up next to nothing for him. Liefer was horrible and all he did was whine about not getting playing time. I was never a big Biddle fan and Osuna was never as good as he was supposed to be when they brought him in. Dare I say Kenny Willams made a good move.
Old 01-15-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrX
If Colon can stay healthy that is huge. And we gave up next to nothing for him. Liefer was horrible and all he did was whine about not getting playing time. I was never a big Biddle fan and Osuna was never as good as he was supposed to be when they brought him in. Dare I say Kenny Willams made a good move.
No don't say it. Remember what happened with Wells. Anyway, Colon is a very good pitcher and seems to be a pretty good move.
Old 01-15-03, 01:03 PM

This is great news.. Now if we could only trade Thomas.

Either way, this is a great way to get fans excited again.. Now if they can play like the 2nd half last year.
Old 01-15-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good move by the Sox. The Twins really over achieved last year (Given their play, their record was something like 8 games better than it should have been) and maybe the Sox can strike.

They did not give up much, and Montreal continues their fascination with crappy Yankee castoffs (Hideki Irabu anyone?). And the Yankees managed to actually get something for El Duque in Osuna. Pretty good on their part.
Old 01-15-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap...good news for us Twins fans
Old 01-15-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: White Sox acquire Bartolo Colon

Originally posted by Meatpants

Finally, the Sox go after and get a Grade A talent in the free agency area.

Go Sox!
Old 01-15-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like a good trade all around and now there will be some competition in the AL Central.

Oakland will have Colon for some magic beans by June.
Old 01-15-03, 02:52 PM

Re: Re: White Sox acquire Bartolo Colon

Originally posted by movielib
Finally, the Sox go after and get a Grade A talent in the free agency area.

Go Sox!
Have we forgotten David Wells already?

Three years in a row Kenny Williams has made an off-season move for a pitcher:

Wells
Todd Richie
Colon

Let's hope this one works out! Can't fault a guy for trying though
Old 01-15-03, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Crap...good news for us Twins fans
Don't ya worry, Buehrle and Colon can't carry the pitching staff. Billy Koch will have to work two consecutive nights a week then gets 3 days off then 2 consecutive then 3 off and so on....

Who's the staff's ace... Buehrle or Colon?
Old 01-15-03, 05:47 PM
Cool New Member

I read that the Yankees initiated this deal to keep the Red Sox from getting Colon. That rivalry has really heated up in the last month are so with the "evil empire" comments. Great move for the White Sox however.
Old 01-15-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: White Sox acquire Bartolo Colon

Originally posted by Meatpants
Not a Red Sox fan though
Old 01-15-03, 09:19 PM

yes, very good day. This is the first time the management has actually tried to put a winner up since new comiskey opened up in the early 90's
Old 01-15-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ranger02
Don't ya worry, Buehrle and Colon can't carry the pitching staff. Billy Koch will have to work two consecutive nights a week then gets 3 days off then 2 consecutive then 3 off and so on....

Who's the staff's ace... Buehrle or Colon?
Considering the team was .500 with just a single decent pitcher (Buehrle) last year, I think just the addition of Colon, and the castaway of big time loser Ricthie has improved the rotation. Most of the Sox bats did absolutely nothing but swing and miss for the first six weeks of the season last year...so even if they uptick a bit during that stretch, you've got a significantly better ball club.

Kenny has made moves for pitchers in the past three winter:
Wells - has seen his best days behind him and was completely undisciplined coming in...and we knew it.
Todd Ricthie - wasn't spectacular coming in, he had one decent season and we just hoped he'd turn out to be good...and he wasn't, he was no where near decent.

Colon will be 30 this year, he's in his prime, he went 10-4 with the Expos!! imagine what he might be able to do with a better team. As long as he can come in with his weight in control, I like what he'll be able to do.
Old 01-15-03, 10:39 PM

.500 won't win the Central.

Am I the only one who purposively doesn't use the accent on the last "o" in Colon when I pronounce his name?

whenever he's in a pitching duel, you can say "Colon duel".
Old 01-15-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1493212.html

It's my understanding that when fewer runs are scored, then each run is slightly more important, which would make the Twins' run differential slightly more impressive than the White Sox' run differential. Still, it's safe to say that on a fundamental level -- even more fundamental than wins and losses -- the Twins were not significantly better than the White Sox last season.

And if we accept that proposition, don't we also have to accept the proposition that in 2003 the Twins will face real competition in the Central? That just because the Twins went 29-16 in one-run games last year and the White Sox just 15-21, it won't necessarily shake out that way again?
Old 01-16-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Poor el Duque, exiled to Montreal...
Old 01-16-03, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
He may go back to Cuba.

It seems that Sir George pulled out another block to the Red Sox and the White Sox take the gift.
Old 01-16-03, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by random123
yes, very good day. This is the first time the management has actually tried to put a winner up since new comiskey opened up in the early 90's
Albert Belle
David Wells
Todd Ritchie
Old 01-16-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
You mean Puerto Rico.
Old 01-16-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's now playing for a PR team?
Old 01-16-03, 12:15 PM

He's now playing for a PR team?
I think it's a joke about the Expos playing some of their home games in PR this season.
Old 01-16-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Mariotti actually wrote a column praising Kenny Williams.

Looks like Jerry's trying to fill more seats at the ol' ballpark. I wonder if I'll still be able to buy VIP seats right behind home plate a half hour before the game starts this year.

Go White Sox!
Old 01-16-03, 10:59 PM

yes, I know about the signings of belle, and the wells and ritchie trades. Belle was just to get the fans back into the seats after the 1994 strike, but I do see that KW was trying to improve the teams with the 2 trades. This offseason, they've done the koch-foulke deal which isn't really that big of a difference, they still actually did something, they signed konerko to a new long term deal, they renegoiated with Thomas, tried to sign beurhle to a new long term deal for the 2nd year in a row and that failed, they were very close to getting kevin milwood, and then finally got colon after not getting milwood
Old 01-17-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why does everyone keep refering to Ritchie? I liked Rictchie, he played hard, he just didn't have it....but the man had only one good season...and even at that, he was pretty decent 3rd starter, not a 2. They were hoping that Ricthie could break out and become a star, he did not.

The Buehrle deal is just insulting...the kids got it and there insulting him (and their fans) by making it appear that there trying to lock him up with these sub-par deals.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.