Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: Dallas Cowboy under investigation....

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-14-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

.....for this accident that happened today:

today:http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews....2060158e.html

Dallas Cowboy Dwayne Goodrich, as reported by 1310 the Ticket, is under investigation for possible involvement in this horrific crash today. Dwyane is a third year cornerback from Tennessee, and it was not clear why he was under investigation.

"Dallas police were searching Tuesday for the driver of a gray BMW that hit and killed two childhood friends stopped along Interstate 35E early Tuesday to rescue a man from a burning car.

Joseph Wood and Demont Matthews of Plano were struck as they stood alongside the burning vehicle in the northbound lanes of the interstate.

The 2002 Mitsubishi Galant caught fire after it rear-ended an 18-wheeler having mechanical problems on I-35E between Walnut Hill and Royal lanes, said Dallas police Lt. John Branton, a supervisor in the traffic division. The tractor-trailer was slowed or stopped.

While the two friends joined a third man trying to rescue the driver, a gray BMW, possibly a 2000 model, attempted to pass the disabled vehicle in the median and struck the three men, Lt. Branton said. The third man suffered a broken leg; the Mitsubishi driver's injuries were not life-threatening.

"The suspect never slowed down and did not stop to provide aid," according to the police report, which lists the incident as criminally negligent homicide.

Police said late Tuesday that they had not arrested the BMW driver or recovered the car. Police are trying to identify the model and year by automobile parts left behind. Investigators have two pieces of the passenger side mirror and paint chips from the scene.

Danny Matthews, Demont Matthews' father, said the driver of the BMW needs to admit what he did.

"I wish he'd come forward. Sometimes, we all do things that are wrong. But we pay for our mistakes," Mr. Matthews said. "He hit a nice guy. If Demont wasn't such a good person and he hadn't stopped, he'd still be here today."

The younger Mr. Matthews, 23, and Mr. Wood, 21, had known one another for more than 10 years, and their families have been close for even longer.

Mr. Wood's family could not be reached for comment.

A police report says Mr. Matthews was in the car that struck the 18-wheeler.

But his father said he was in the car with Mr. Wood, and they did not know the two people in the Mitsubishi.

Dallas police could not clear up the discrepancy late Tuesday.

Mr. Matthews was a 1998 graduate of a Plano high school. He was searching for a job after being laid off in December from Target, his father said.

Helping others was routine for the younger Mr. Matthews. He often played ball with neighborhood children, his family said.

"He goes out of his way to help anyone he can," his father said. "I'll tell you what, you would like him. He would always have a smile on his face."

The last person to speak with the younger Mr. Matthews was his mother.

"I don't know what he was out doing," his father said. "He told his mother, 'Mama, I'll see you tomorrow.' But he didn't make it."

The BMW ran over Mr. Matthews and dragged him 155 feet, according to the police report. He died at the scene.

Mr. Wood died in an ambulance on the way to Parkland Memorial Hospital.

Lt. Branton said there were no skid marks to indicate the BMW's speed or that it tried to stop.

The men are the seventh and eighth traffic fatalities in Dallas in 2003, according to a police report."
Old 01-14-03, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
So why is Dwayne Goodrich under investigation???

Does he drive a gray Beemer? Article has no frickin' link to him, what's up?
Old 01-14-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I said "breaking", I meant it. This is brand spanking new info.

This accident was the story of the day in Dallas, mainly because of the horror of the man being dragged by the BMW. The goodrich thing is from the radio on my way home tonight....no elaboration on why he is being investigated.
Old 01-14-03, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

This does sound nasty... Guess we'll have to wait a bit for the details...

Thanks for the post TDD!

(PS: On a side note, make ESPN stop posting propaganda articles trying to get Troy Aikman to come back for the Tuna!)
Old 01-14-03, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like the car belonged to Dwayne and he has turned himself in.

For those who don't know, Dwayne Goodrich is the backup CB for the Cowboys...
Old 01-14-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And here it is: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/4947569.htm
Old 01-14-03, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

Looks like you might wanna throw a "former" Dallas Cowboy on the thread title...

Old 01-14-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Cow
Looks like you might wanna throw a "former" Dallas Cowboy on the thread title...

Might?

Ohhhhhhhh, Christ. This stuff is just enraging. I swear, the stories that get my ire up the most is someone who is harmed or killed while assisting someone else. It's a horrible, horrible story, then throw the spoiled, rich, pampered pro football player thing in the mix.......
Old 01-14-03, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
Might?

Ohhhhhhhh, Christ. This stuff is just enraging. I swear, the stories that get my ire up the most is someone who is harmed or killed while assisting someone else. It's a horrible, horrible story, then throw the spoiled, rich, pampered pro football player thing in the mix.......
Agreed! This one looks bad. Hard to not judge, but the report of 100+ MPH BMW going through the median, and the 3 guys just trying to help. This is just wrong! No excuse!

PS: Why the hell has ESPN (or other nationals) not reported this yet?

Last edited by The Cow; 01-14-03 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Cow
PS: Why the hell has ESPN (or other nationals) not reported this yet?
Haven't you figured it out yet? DVDT is always ahead of the national media.
Old 01-15-03, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Zucker said Goodrich swerved to avoid an accident and "hit something." The agent said Goodrich didn't realize the significance until Tuesday morning, when he saw the damage to his car and decided to surrender to police."

That is such bull#[email protected]%.

If you think you hit something, isn't it normal to slow down and look in your rearview mirror? And the fact that he had no idea he hit three people is ridiculous. We're not talking about objects the size of bottles or boxes.

Gee Mr. Goodrich, maybe had you not been driving 110 MPH you might have had a bit more time to react to the fact that there were 3 people in front of you. You'll have plenty of time to mull that over with some of those "Cowboys" in prison.

Old 01-15-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a thought:

the accident happened at 2:15 AM, so I think it's fairly safe to assume he was under the influence.

If you are under the influence and kill someone, it is murder. If you are sober, the worst you can be charged with is manslaughter.

Whether he intended to or not, he probably did himself a favor by waiting to turn himself in.
Old 01-15-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's no way you could not know you hit 3 people, no matter how wasted you are. Anyone that wasted wouldn't be driving anyway. They would have run into a trash can, brick wall or something trying to drive out the parking lot.

They said it best on the Fat Albert cartoon...NC = No Class
Old 01-15-03, 10:44 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Being Texas, they really should fry this ****er.
Old 01-15-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to make light of the situation, but the thread title made me laugh:

"Breaking News: Dallas Cowboy under investigation.... "

More like

"Ongoing News: Dallas Cowboy Government Task Force adds new criminal to growing list ..."

Horrible story, and his "excuse" is hollow.

das
Old 01-15-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah....how hard would it be to notice a BURNING CAR in the road ahead of you? What an appalling story.....he has no excuse and should go to prison for a very long time....
Old 01-15-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe he was out all night with "PEDRO GUERRERO"
Old 01-15-03, 03:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by brizz
yeah....how hard would it be to notice a BURNING CAR in the road ahead of you?
I don't know. I'd have to be a crackhead going 110 mph to find out.
Old 01-15-03, 10:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Here's a thought:

the accident happened at 2:15 AM, so I think it's fairly safe to assume he was under the influence.

That was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw what happened. It's dark, you're tired, your wasted and seeing how fast your BMW will go... next thing you know, you've screwed up like you've never screwed up before.

It's no way you could not know you hit 3 people, no matter how wasted you are. Anyone that wasted wouldn't be driving anyway. They would have run into a trash can, brick wall or something trying to drive out the parking lot.
I know people who have driven home, and made it, when they were so trashed that they didn't remember most of the events of the evening. So, I could believe that he was too wasted to realize or remember any of what was going on. OTOH, I would have a hard time believing he was stone cold sober and didn't realize what had happened.
Old 08-19-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Goodrich sentenced to 7 1/2 years

02:40 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

By ROBERT THARP / The Dallas Morning News

Jurors decided to sentence former Dallas Cowboy Dwayne Goodrich to 7 1/2 years in prison this afternoon for the hit-and-run deaths of two men in January.

The panel of 11 women and one man deliberated more than nine hours over two days before reach the sentencing decision. Jurors also decided Goodrich should be fined $10,000 for each count.

The punishment phase of the trial was delayed Monday after prosecutors discovered a facet of state law that eliminated the chance for Mr. Goodrich to receive probation.

Dwayne Goodrich

Mr. Goodrich was convicted of criminally negligent homicide Friday. Because his vehicle was defined as a "deadly weapon," the offense was strengthened from a state jail felony to a third-degree felony.

By law, juries hearing state jail felonies are not allowed to consider probation, and prosecutors argued Monday to District Judge Lana McDaniel that the same should apply to Mr. Goodrich's third-degree felony charge.

Mr. Goodrich, 25, faces two to 10 years in prison for each of the two charges.

Ironically, had the jury convicted Mr. Goodrich of the more serious offense of manslaughter which prosecutors sought during the trial the panel could have legally sentenced him to probation.

Defense attorney Reed Prospere urged jurors to "vote their conscience" and resist compromise if they felt strongly that his client deserved probation.

During jury selection, each juror was required to agree that he or she could potentially sentence someone to probation as well as the maximum sentence for such an offense.

Mr. Prospere said it was not fair that jurors could not be allowed to consider probation at the trial's conclusion.

"If you feel this ain't right, this ain't fair ... if this verdict doesn't fit with your conscience, you don't have to go along," he said. "If your conscience tells you this ain't right, then you go by your conscience."

Prosecutor Fred Burns told jurors that probation should never be a consideration in such a case.

"You have to decide what's the price for killing two good Samaritans. ... This is a 10-year case. It's a maximum case. It was never a probation case," Mr. Burns said.

"How can 10 years be too long a sentence of the death of a couple of heroes?"

According to court testimony, Mr. Goodrich was speeding and driving recklessly about 2 a.m. Jan. 14 as he headed to his Coppell home after spending the evening at a restaurant and two topless clubs.

Witnesses said he was traveling 100 mph or more on Interstate 35E and failed to slow down as he approached a disabled, burning car and motorists who had stopped to try to help a man trapped inside.

During the trial, Mr. Goodrich contradicted other eyewitness testimony and said his vision was blocked by a sport utility vehicle ahead of him as he approached the rescue scene. By the time he saw the disabled car, it was too late to stop, he said.

Demont Matthews

Mr. Goodrich's BMW 745 veered onto the freeway shoulder, striking three rescuers. Joseph "Joby" Wood, 21, and Demont Matthews, 23, died from injuries they suffered. A third rescuer was seriously injured.

Mr. Goodrich testified that he initially thought he had struck debris but within moments realized that "something terrible" had happened. He said he didn't stop because he panicked.

Mr. Wood's mother testified during the punishment phase of the trial and asked the jury to give Mr. Goodrich the maximum sentence. She asked the jurors to take with them a silver cross that her son had been wearing the night of his death. It was still stained with her son's dried blood.

Joseph Wood
"I feel like we all have to pay for our actions," she said.

Mr. Matthews' father, Danny Matthews, told the jury that he thinks about his dead son every day. He said he left the punishment in the jury's hands.

"At night, you think he'll come home and be there for you, but deep down in your heart you know he won't," he said.

"I want justice, and my kid's dead. He deserves some kind of justice. ... It's really up to them."
Old 08-19-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad he's going to jail....but this kind of hyperbole really sickens me....

"How can 10 years be too long a sentence of the death of a couple of heroes?"
They were not heroes....being a victim of an accident does not make you a hero....they were trying to help someone who was obviously already out of his car....they were fine people for sure....but heroes? nah.....I'm just so sick of people tossing that around to pull at heartstrings for political purposes.....which is effectively what that prosecutor was doing.
Old 08-19-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, and I bet the defense shyster didn't engage in any hyperbole in trying to get his jackass client acquitted. He probably tried to get the jury to believe the two dead guys were asking for it

Screw Dwayne Goodrich. I hope he dies a bad prison death.
Old 08-19-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

7 1/2 years, he prolly do 3 - 4 years and get out for good behavior. Then he'll be picked up back the Redskins!

Two quick hits:

* He did more time than O.J. (Thank God for Texas!)

* I have to believe that if he would hae stopped all this might have been avoided. His had a huge laspe in judgment and now he will have to pay.