Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnson-Top 15 pick
McGahee-3rd Round
Old 01-13-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well maybe the Lions can get he and Charles Rogers in the same draft then

Seriously though....this is a big mistake on his part imho.....i'll be surprised if he goes the first day. Three ligaments? That's some seriously bad news....
Old 01-14-03, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Tough decision for him...

Miami has another RB ready to take his place, he might not get enough playing time to improve his draft position next year.

He probably will drop quite a bit in the draft, but if he is "all that" it will work out (for him) after a coupla years and a holdout or two....
Old 01-14-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a good idea for him. (It was only two ligaments, not 3, as it turned out).

Anyways, he's going to spend the next year rehabbing. By 2004, Frank Gore will still be around for Miami, and they're bringing in Tyrone Moss as a recruit (one of the top 5 prep RBs in the country).

So, since he might not even get playing time in 2004, may as make six figures for rehabbing.... somebody will take a chance on him.
Old 01-14-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Now that I have thought about it - yes, this is a good idea. He could turn out to be a bargain for some lucky team. I really have no idea where he could go.
Old 01-14-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess its good for him..
he will get the smaller check for while he rehabs.. and maybe a chance to earn a larger check by proving himself in the nfl

but he wont be able to cash in on the insurance

and he wont get the HUGE payout that was expected when he gets drafted.
Old 01-14-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I actually admire him for trying to make the pros. He could easily have cashed in on the 2.5 million and retired. Instead, he is going to try to fulfill a dream.
Old 01-14-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this will end up being a good decision, and an interesting one come draft day. Had he been healthy, he would have gon every high. But now a team that drafts him could get a huge bargain. I can defintely see him going the first day, maybe even first round, although that is optimistic.

His injury (the ACL tear that is, since the MCL is relatively minor) is very possible to come back from. Ask Terry Allen who did it twice. Ask Jamal Lewis. I believe Priest Holmes had it as well, not to mention Terrel Davis, Edgerrin James, Jamal Anderson, Jerry Rice, and so forth.

Should McGahee not recover as well, or not get the playing time on Miami when he does, he likely won't get drafted in a year or two. But as of now, some team will take a flyer on him. He's just too talented. And you're making money right away, on a NFL salary, with NFL doctors, and NFL training facilities (although Miami's are pretty damn good too).

P.S. What happened to the rumors he was staying in school?
Old 01-14-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a huge mistake...
Old 01-14-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
What a huge mistake...
but why? He may never be the same. Some believe it takes two years to fully recover and by then he'll be a senior. If McGahee isn't 100% I'm sure Gore or Moss or whoever will take his job and he may go undrafted.

Some team will take a flyer on him. He's a big unknown. But he'll get a good deal (even the NFL minimum is a nice slary although he'll get more), he can learn the playbook, get NFL doctors.

And if he's really healthy, he can get a new contract in a few years. Lets say he's a third round pick. He won't get a long-term deal as a third rounder. He can play two yars and if he's awesome, get a new deal worth big bucks.

If he doesn't recover, oh well, but he wouldn't have recovered at Miami either. The money he'd get as a first rounder if he waited a year (or more likely two), he'll get in the NFL at the same time as a free agent.
Old 01-14-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it's a mistake. he won't be able to play next year and he'll drop anyway. People don't really have long memories.

I think Jericho's right. Some NFL team will take a chance on him. Hopefully they'll be lucky and have him at 100% after the next season.
Old 01-15-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
The money he'd get as a first rounder if he waited a year (or more likely two), he'll get in the NFL at the same time as a free agent.
Not necessarily.

He could wait the two years and then be a senior. What is wrong with him waiting two years, going back to school and healing in the process, and then hopefully fully healed, enter the NFL draft, probably as a pick in the top 10, assuring him a more lucrative contract then he'll get now. You can't be so sure that he'll get the same $ as a free agent.
Old 01-15-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not necessarily.

He could wait the two years and then be a senior. What is wrong with him waiting two years, going back to school and healing in the process, and then hopefully fully healed, enter the NFL draft, probably as a pick in the top 10, assuring him a more lucrative contract then he'll get now. You can't be so sure that he'll get the same $ as a free agent.
He'll probably get more simply because of the rookie salary caps.

Quite frankly, there's no guarantee he'd get any playing time in 2004 when he came back. Frank Gore was supposed to get his job back when he became healthy in late October, and look what happened there. Too much of a risk considering how much RB talent that Miami has.... and no playing time for two years and he'd probably be worse off draft-wise than he is now.

And quite frankly, for McGahee's recovery, it's probably better that he rehab under an NFL team's guidance (and resources) rather than a college...
Old 01-15-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you know....i'll flip on this one and agree that it's a good idea. Especially given that he'll now have NFL doctors and resources to speed his recovery - not to mention a six figure income to help out as well. so he makes a couple hundred grand for the next few years, proves himself, and then gets the fat contract in 2005....I would imagine that any decent agent would get him a contract infused with incentives and bonuses for playing time and performance, rendering even a baseline contract worth potential millions contingent upon his comeback.
Old 01-15-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
He'll probably get more simply because of the rookie salary caps.

Quite frankly, there's no guarantee he'd get any playing time in 2004 when he came back. Frank Gore was supposed to get his job back when he became healthy in late October, and look what happened there. Too much of a risk considering how much RB talent that Miami has.... and no playing time for two years and he'd probably be worse off draft-wise than he is now.

And quite frankly, for McGahee's recovery, it's probably better that he rehab under an NFL team's guidance (and resources) rather than a college...
But do you think that he could keep up with the rehab at the NFL level? It could be tough for him, but if that's what he wants to do, good for him.
Old 01-15-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not necessarily.

If he did go back to school, he would like have to wait two years. Many believe an ACL injury takes two years to fully heal, so it's unlikely he'd be at full speed for the '03 season. Then you figure one of three things happen:

1) He never recovers

In this case the correct decision was to come out early. He'd get at least a year, if not several on an NFL team's roster earning hundreds of thousands if not millions. By staying in school he'd go undrafted and get nothing

2) He recovers decently, but not to level he once was at

In this case he'd likely lose his job to Frank Gore or whoever which would hurt his NFL chances as well. But he may be able to pull out a mid-round draft pick. In this case the correct decision was again to come out early since his draft position would not be worse, and he'd get two extra years of NFL salary, two extra years of NFL experience, and the full benefit of NFL doctors.

3) He recovers and its great as he was before

Assuming he manages to keep his job at RB, he'd then go as a high pick and make money. However, that's a decent size risk. And if he he came out now, he'd again have two extra years of NFL salary, two extra years of NFL experience, and would likely be a free agent since mid-round picks don't get long-term deals. He could then earn his money via the free agent route since he's fully recovered.

The only way staying in college makes sense is if he fully recovers, manages to keep his job at Miami, and gets a big fat contract in two years as a high draft pick and then is a HUGE bust a la Curtis Enis or Ki-Jana Carter. It would mean he could be a great college back, but not a pro back.

Otherwise, he'll make more money, get more experience, have better facilities, and so forth by coming out now.
Old 01-15-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But do you think that he could keep up with the rehab at the NFL level? It could be tough for him, but if that's what he wants to do, good for him.
Most of the rehab is not in games though. The idea is rehabbing and getting up to where you were speed, agility, and so forth before getting into games.

He could spend a year on a team's IR and just doing practice squad stuff.
Old 01-15-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone know if he doesn't get drafted could he blame his injury and collect on that insurnace?

b/c if that was the case he could just see what happens and if he doesn't get in, just take the insurance money.
Old 01-16-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hypeiv
anyone know if he doesn't get drafted could he blame his injury and collect on that insurnace?

b/c if that was the case he could just see what happens and if he doesn't get in, just take the insurance money.
If he doesn't get drafted, he could cash in on his insurance. If he does get drafted and does play, his insurance would be no good if he plays 4 or more games.
Old 01-16-03, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has been analyzed to death on all the football boards. Those boards have pretty much figured it all out.

Just to add, if Willis is drafted but ruled unable to perform he will probably collect his insurance. He will have the best therapies, doctors and attention in the NFL compared to Miami (which ain't chopped liver i'm sure).

I'm sure that McGahee's agent can come up with some very creative contract negotiations that have huge bonuses depending on performance that will ensure that he will get drafted and stay on a team for at least 2-3 years. A team will take a flyer on a guy like that. Maybe 3rd. Plus he gets to give the NFL a shot.
Old 02-11-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

doctor says mcgahee should be ready to play next season?
http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0210/1506852.html

does this push his draft status back up any??

i just assumed he would take a year off to rehab on an nfl team's dime.. doesnt sound that way
Old 02-11-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff

i just assumed he would take a year off to rehab on an nfl team's dime.. doesnt sound that way
There's some talk, that depending on how he starts to look right around draft time, that he could be somewhere in the first or second rounds. Not top 5 anymore, but still a high pick.
Old 02-11-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff

I don't think it really pushes his status up, but it prevents him from falling. ACL injuries like McGahee had are a standrad 6 months. But that's to heal, to get into game shape and such, may take much longer. Whether a team places him on their active roster remains to be seen, but I think it is to be expected.

Some team will take a flyer on him, and fairly early, unless he's really struggling with rehab. I think with the rehab going well, it just hold his position as is.
Old 02-12-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm sure that the NFL club doctors will have more to say about whether he is ready to play than Willis' doctor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.