Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles Div Playoff Thread

Old 01-10-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles Div Playoff Thread

Current odds:
Atlanta +7.5
38 1/2 o/u
Money line = Atlanta (+280), Phila. (-360)

In reality, this is should be easy game to handicap because the Eagles are better on both sides of the ball, are coming off a bye week, and are playing at home. However, Atlanta has the X factor and that his Michael Vick - he has the ability to take over a game. I remember when he was a quarter away from single-handedly from beating a heavily favored FSU in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago. Can the Eagles contain Vick? How will they defense him. The Eagles D is predicated on putting a lot of pressure on the QB - they will blitz you from the start and blitz you often. Will they use the spy method to contain Vick?

Recent history in the NFC has shown 2 things:
1) Home field means everything.
2) Teams generally move up rung by rung each year (maybe they skip one rung): the Skins did it in '90-'91, Cowboys in '91-92, Packers in '94-96. The exceptions were the Falcons and Rams who made quick leaps. I think Eagles are on a definite progression - made it to the Div round in '00, conf championship in '01, and ??? in '02. Logically, they are on the track to a Super Bowl appearance.

I think the Eagles have religiously studied the Bucs game films against Vick. McNabb will be rusty but good enough to lead them to an ordinary victory.

Philly 20 Atlanta 10.
Old 01-10-03, 10:53 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I think Vick will have some big plays, but he can't win this game by himself. And I think that whatever rust McNabb may have will be shaken off early in the first quarter.

I can't wait for this game!!
Old 01-10-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

go falcons
Old 01-10-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Philly in a laugher.
Old 01-10-03, 11:38 AM
Banned

I think Philly will win and cover the spread.
Old 01-10-03, 11:40 AM
Banned

Eagles 17 Falcons 9
Old 01-10-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Re: Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles Div Playoff Thread

Originally posted by Red Dog

Recent history in the NFC has shown 2 things:
1) Home field means everything.
Except against Michael Vick.

Falcons 24 Eagles 13
Old 01-10-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Governor
Philly in a laugher.
I agree. I like Vick but I feel this one could get ugly.
Old 01-10-03, 02:38 PM

Phil Martelli (head coach of the Saint Joseph's University men's basketball team) calls in to the Philly sportstalk morning show every friday before an Eagles game with his prediction for the game. He's 14-2 picking ATS this season & around 48-6 over the past few seasons.

He says the game will start with the Eagles taking a 10-0 lead, the Falcons will cut it down to 10-3, but the Eagles & Falcons both score TDs to give the Eagles a 17-10 win.

And as a bit of information, last year he made his prediction for the NFC title game at Wing Bowl, in front of a couple thousand drunk Eagles fans. He predicted that the Rams would win that game, but the Eagles would win the Superbowl next (which is now this) season. A brave prediction for the man, but he could be right...
Old 01-10-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

31 Eagles 7 Falcons
Old 01-10-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

philly probably has a better team than atlanta
but so did green bay
and as far as home field advantage.. is there any bigger home field advantage than green bay in the winter? that didnt shake vick
philly should win it..
but vick has the ability to carry the falcons past any team if he is given the chance..
Old 01-10-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BUt the Green Bay team that played Atlanta last week was NOT better than Atlanta. It was too beat up and hurtin' going into the game. Philly is rested and overall quite healthy. It will be close in the first half, but the Eagles will pull away in the 3rd. Final Philly 38 Atlanta 17.
Old 01-10-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think Vick will have a bad game, neccessarily, I just expect that he won't have many options. The Philly defense, the NYG game notwithstanding, is very good and there'll be too much pressure on Vick to make much happen. I do think they'll get two big gains out of screen passes to Dunn. I see the Eagles D being very open to screens, if they are called at the right time. That's if they blitz a lot, of course, and I'm not convinced that they will, although with that secondary and those Falcons WRs, they could afford to go man to man all day long.

Vick's final numbers: 13-29-118 1 INT, rushing: 8-42 yds

Final score: Phi 27, Atl 6
Old 01-10-03, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by thisistyler
so i should take atlanta and the points?
That's my thought. But if you're betting the money line, take the Eagles.
Old 01-10-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

For those picking Atlanta to win straight up, keep in mind that under the current playoff system, which has been in place since 1990, there have been 24 NFC Divisional Playoff games. In those games, the home team coming off the bye week is 22-2.
Old 01-10-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Philly 33 Atlanta 20
Old 01-10-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Philly 28 Atlanta 17
Old 01-10-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
For those picking Atlanta to win straight up, keep in mind that under the current playoff system, which has been in place since 1990, there have been 24 NFC Divisional Playoff games. In those games, the home team coming off the bye week is 22-2.
and what was the packers home winning % in the playoffs?

atlanta may not win, but stats mean squat
Old 01-10-03, 06:34 PM

I'm as big a Vick fan as someone can be (a lifetime Hokie), but how are some of you figuring the Falcons will put up 20 or 17 points? I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see where those are going to come from...
Old 01-10-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wlmowery
BUt the Green Bay team that played Atlanta last week was NOT better than Atlanta. It was too beat up and hurtin' going into the game. Philly is rested and overall quite healthy. It will be close in the first half, but the Eagles will pull away in the 3rd. Final Philly 38 Atlanta 17.
hmmmm..

and when atlanta blew their lead and lost a 3 pt game in overtime to green bay during the first week of the season.. was that packer team that much better than the falcons? or were the packers already beat up and hurtin' going into the first game of the season?
Old 01-10-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Yancey
I'm as big a Vick fan as someone can be (a lifetime Hokie), but how are some of you figuring the Falcons will put up 20 or 17 points? I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see where those are going to come from...
how did:
tennessee, houston, jacksonville, indianapolis, san fransico, seattle, and washington all score 17+ points against philly?
Old 01-10-03, 06:41 PM

One last thing: I did pick the Falcons to beat the Packers last week if Darren Sharper did not play (he didn't, they won). Just to prove that I'm not an Atlanta naysayer...
Old 01-10-03, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
how did:
tennessee, houston, jacksonville, indianapolis, san fransico, seattle, and washington all score 17+ points against philly?
An excellent point, but the playoffs, as you hear over and over, are a completely different brand of football. With the stakes so high, you'll never see someone give up on a play (that's not to say that's how those teams scored on Philly). And I'll repeat: I hope I am wrong with everything I am saying. The main problem that I see is that Philly's secondary is so good, and Atlanta's wideouts are so piss poor. By being able to lock up the WRs in man-to-man coverage, that leaves a lot of good players to focus on stopping Dunn and Duckett, as well as limiting Vick's scrambles. While that won't be fool proof, it'll take a helluva gameplan from Dan Reeves to circumvent that.

(also: four of those teams mentioned above have a better offense than the Falcons -- Titans, Colts, 49ers and Seahawks (at the end of the season, anyway))

Last edited by Yancey; 01-10-03 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Vick is a fantastic player, but this ain't college. Vick could win a game such as this single-handedly in college. Not in the NFL, especially on the road in the playoffs. Philly has the edge at almost every possible matchup. That was not the case last week - the Falcons defense was better than the Packers going in and the Packers were pretty banged up on offense.

Believe me, I hope the Eagles go down. I just think the odds of it are extremely slim.

The Falcons will get there...in a year or 2. They remind me very much of the Eagles 2 years ago. Great athletic QB and an up and coming defense. Much little elsewhere.
Old 01-10-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It comes down to this:

Can Donovan McNabb play reasonably healthy after that long layoff? If McNabb plays well the Eagles win 31-17.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.