Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are some sports fans hate-mongering idiots? (Phila. Eagles related)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-08-03, 11:47 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Link

8:46 a.m. EST January 8, 2003 - Temperatures are rising as playoff fever comes before the big Eagles game with Atlanta on Saturday night.

Locally, an alleged Eagles fan acknowledges sending a letter to an Atlanta newspaper in which Atlanta fans were warned about physical harm if they showed up for the game in Philadelphia.
Part of the letter read:

"Tell the people of Atlanta that they better not make the trip to Philly. You and your pretend bandwagon fans are not welcome here. . . . This is not a warning it's a fact. If you're in the 700 level we'll clip your wings and launch you over the railing where you'll fall to your demise. If you're in the lower level we'll snap your neck, that is if you make it into the stadium."

NBC 10 News found the man who sent the letter, who called himself "Eagle Leader" in the e-mail, playing a basketball game in New Jersey on Tuesday, and he would not apologize for the letter. He also insisted he would be at Saturday's football game even though he doesn't have a ticket now.

NBC 10 interviewed Eagles fans in South Philadelphia as word got around about the threatening nature of this e-mail.

Most people here wanted to make sure that people that live outside of Philadelphia know that the content is not representative of all Eagles fans.

Russell Conti of South Philadelphia echoed a common sentiment. "I think they're all nuts. Some of this is sport it's supposed to be enjoyed. They try to make a show out of it."

NBC 10 has been was flooded with calls and e-mails about the incident.

Even though Eagles fans have a reputation for outrageous behavior, people wonder how someone could be so hateful.

Bob H. in Souderton wrote, "What a loser. This person makes it bad for people who want to enjoy the game."

"No one should have to fear for their lives when going to a football stadium," wrote Judy A. from Montgomery County.

The sports fans here in Philadelphia already have a bad reputation. The sad thing is there are others like this nutcase out there, although I believe that the majority of us here in the City of Brotherly Love just want to watch a good game.

I once gave a client tickets to see a Flyers/Redwings game - he was from Detroit. Because he wore a Detroit hat, he was jumped and beaten after the game.

Some sports fans suck.
Old 01-08-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even without that letter... there's no way I'd ever even think of sitting in the 700 level of the Vet with opposing team apparel on. Those people scare me.
Old 01-08-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I went to the Eagles-Redskins game at the Vet a few weeks ago - sat in the 300 level. Most of the fans were respectful but there was this well-dressed 40-something guy who made a spectacle of pointing out to everyone every Redskins who was sitting near him or walked by like he was encouraging the other Eagle fans to attack. What a moron.

I wore a burgundy sweatshirt but I kept my Skins jersey underneath. I don't worry about violence in the stands but I worry about violence in the bathrooms. Heck, the Eagles fans were ready to lynch this guy (another Eagle fan) for letting a 5-year old cut in the line for the stall.
Old 01-08-03, 12:16 PM
Banned

I still think the Raiders got the worst fans in the league.
Raiders love it.
Old 01-08-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love a good hate-filled rivalry as much as the next guy (though, there's no history at all between the Falcons and Eagles), but what a freakin' loser. There's a difference between being loud or obnoxious or even booing Santa Claus or heckling player and issuing death threats. As you said, Philly fans have a bad enough rep to have this jackhole making it worse.

das
Old 01-08-03, 02:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

They have a makeshift jail and a judge assigned at the Vet during all Eagles games. Anyone arrested during the game gets an immediate hearing.

Do any other footbal franchises have this sort of thing?
Old 01-08-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, the 700 level fans at the vet are bad, but you have idiots llike this everywhere now. It all goes back to our society's loss of focus on the rights of others. Everything today is me, me, me....

Did you read about the idiot in Atlanta. A teacher of ethics at a local college suggested that the Atlanta team should go out and spear McNabb's ankle, or, as an alternative, break his neck... While Eagles fans have a well-earned reputation for idiocy, it's not limited to philly but is a national epidemic....
Old 01-08-03, 02:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Wow, I hadn't heard that, wmlowery. An ethics teacher?
Old 01-08-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Eagles should post a picture of 'Eagle Leader' at every gate and prevent his dumbass from entering the Vet this weekend. I do feel sorry for good, honest Philly fans, because there are always seems to be more jackasses that come out of that neck of the sporting woods than other places. Except Raiders fans, of course - I have had family and friends tell me that you don't go into Oakland Coliseum w/ the opposing teams gear/colors on.
Old 01-08-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They should get a Philly Cop to go undercover and sit and 700 section wearing Atlanta gear and arrest some of these morons.
Old 01-08-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

havent we grown to expect this type of **** from philly fans?
Old 01-08-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bandoman
Wow, I hadn't heard that, wmlowery. An ethics teacher?
In an Atlanta Journal-Constitution article yesterday, Emory University's John Banja said that the Falcons should target McNabb's right ankle when the teams meet Saturday night in their NFC playoff game at the Vet.

"Go for his ankle, go for his spine, try to break his neck," Banja told the newspaper. "McNabb certainly knows people are going to do that."

full article available at http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...es/4895873.htm
Old 01-08-03, 03:24 PM

Philadelphia fans.....

Same people who hated their home team's best player while he was playing on their team (until he was traded to a place that appreciated him). Scott Rolen is better off in St. Louis.
Old 01-08-03, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by twikoff
havent we grown to expect this type of **** from philly fans?
Yes! Michael Irvin. Remember his career ending injury at the Vets? He was down the groung for about 15 minutes and the fans were cheering. Not that I don't think Irvin is an ass back then, but it's wrong to cheer in mockery when a guy could potentially has fractured his vertebrae.
Old 01-08-03, 04:21 PM

How much do you want to bet that "Eagle Leader" was leading the boos when Philly drafted Donovan McNabb over Ricky Williams?

How much do you want to bet he'll be sporting a #5 Eagles Jersey this weekend as he tries to buy a ticket for the game?
Old 01-08-03, 04:24 PM
Enormous Genitals

Good point, BCorbett.

BTW - "Eagle Leader" apologized for his email.

But on Wednesday, WIP 610 radio talk-show host Angelo Cataldi told NBC 10 News that [Drexel Hill resident Larry] Gunn was apologetic when he called Cataldi's radio show Wednesday morning.

"He actually called our show today, our first caller, to apologize," Cataldi said.

"This was a guy that got in front of his computer, and he's a big Eagle fan, he's feeling the momentum, and he started writing things he didn't mean to write like throwing people off the upper deck of the Vet and snapping people's necks."

Cataldi was sympathetic to Gunn's plight.

"It's more the byplay that people have in getting ready for a big football game. . . . If they give him a hard time, it's not right."

NBC 10 reporter Lisa Kelly also spoke with Gunn on the phone Wednesday morning.

Kelly said that Gunn told her that he only wrote the message in "good fun" as a way to pump up and unify Eagles fans.

Yeah, I like to threaten people with physical harm "in good fun" too.
Old 01-08-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mysterX
Yes! Michael Irvin. Remember his career ending injury at the Vets? He was down the groung for about 15 minutes and the fans were cheering. Not that I don't think Irvin is an ass back then, but it's wrong to cheer in mockery when a guy could potentially has fractured his vertebrae.
hell.. they booed SANTA CLAUS! just imagine how loud they would have cheered if santa had fallen and had a potential life threatening injury!
Old 01-08-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Ranger02
Philadelphia fans.....

Same people who hated their home team's best player while he was playing on their team (until he was traded to a place that appreciated him). Scott Rolen is better off in St. Louis.
Yes he is. I can't wait to see him this upcoming season.
Old 01-08-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No mention of Raiders fans yet in this thread?... hehe... I wouldn't be caught wearing ANYTHING that was either the opposing team's gear or anything that says 49ers on it at the Coliseum. I wouldn't wear anything that even says SF Giants on it. Hehe..
Old 01-08-03, 10:28 PM

Philadelphia fans.....

Sure, but they didn't hate him until he decided that he wouldn't resign in Philly. In Philadelphia, if you always give 100% effort and always stay dedicated to the team, the city will give you love.
Old 01-08-03, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by BCorbett
How much do you want to bet that "Eagle Leader" was leading the boos when Philly drafted Donovan McNabb over Ricky Williams?

How much do you want to bet he'll be sporting a #5 Eagles Jersey this weekend as he tries to buy a ticket for the game?
Actually, that was Angelo Cataldi, the host of the morning show in Philly. And he's gone on record many times since then saying that he was wrong & that the Eagles knew what they were doing.

Having said that, I'm sure that some of the Yankee fans who were booing Giambi at the start of the season were cheering for him at the end of the year... It happens in all markets.
Old 01-08-03, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
They should get a Philly Cop to go undercover and sit and 700 section wearing Atlanta gear and arrest some of these morons.
I actually think that they do this during some NFC East games, so I'm pretty sure they'll do the same during the playoffs.
Old 01-08-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Philadelphia fans.....

wrong....

scott rolen was well liked in philly untill he went to a new team.
from that point he was no longer a philly he was an opposing team player so no longer liked.

twik i'm surprised you would fall for the hype of what is said about philly fans.
it really isnt true. it is a rep that was brought on by a few very bad fans over the years. and since incidents seem to happen during national games it gets pubbed more.
also it has become a bit "hip' to bash philly fans even when nothing happens.

i have gone to hundreds of games to all philly sports and have never seen an event were anyone was beat or hurt in any way.

yes it has happened but it doesnt happen at every game, and really only has happened a few times over the years.

edited to add...
scott rolen didnt leave philly because of anything to do with the fans.
it was because he didnt like the way mgmt was running the team.
same reason curt schilling left a few years ago.
rolen did like that fans.
and had said so in several interviews.
he said he felt like the fans were getting ripped off by the phillies because the phils never did anything to truly improve the team.

this year has been an abberation(sp) a huge swing in the way they decided to improve the team.

and that is only because they have the new stadium and need to sell corporate suites. knowing if the team was still shtanking up the place they couldnt sell squat.

Last edited by whotony; 01-08-03 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

And let us not forget the "battery throwing" at J.D. Drew...
Old 01-08-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok can we just turn this thread into a philly basher thread/

this stuff never happens anywere else does it.

wasnt it cleveland a couple years ago that was throwing beer bottles at the officials at the end of a football game.?

wasnt there a riot during a pre-game promo at a detroit baseball game a while ago that caused the game to be cancelled?

it's not just philly. we just get more pub because people just find it to be interesting to bash philly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.