Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Here we go....Bracketology 2003

Old 01-06-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here we go....Bracketology 2003

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology/index.html

I know this falls under the category of "way too early", but it is never way too early for me.

1. Duke
Bama
Arizona
Notre Dame

2. Illinois
Mississippi State
Pittsburgh
UCONN

3. Florida
Indiana
Texas
Kentucky

4. Creighton
Oregon
Oklahoma
Xavier

Pittsburgh and Notre Dame probably swap seeds after tonight's game. I'm willing to bet cash that Oklahoma winds up the season as a 1 or 2 seed. Mississippi State has a short life-epectancy. Kentucky? Prove it.
Old 01-06-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Made some money off Pittsburgh. Too good defensively for Notre Dame. However, Pittsburgh has no chance of winning the Championship if they can't hit free throws. It was brick city for them from the strike tonight.
Old 01-06-03, 10:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Here we go....Bracketology 2003

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
Kentucky? Prove it.
[bring it on]It's already been proven![/bring it on]
Old 01-06-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

stupid bama
Old 01-07-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Maryland an 11 seed? That seems pretty brutal.

Duke - the ultimate paper tiger. That is the most deceptive 9-0 you'll ever see.

Guess you can flip Notre Dame and Pitt now. Pitt looked really good last night.

Arizona will be cutting down the nets at the end.
Old 01-07-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess this is this guys seedings if the tournament was going to start today. If not than this guy doens't know his arse from a hole in the ground.
Old 01-07-03, 07:54 PM

I don't know three day... As of yet, even as an OU fan, they have yet to show that they are as good as last year.

They haven't replace McGhee's inside scoring this year. Last year, he was a beast inside and on the baseline. They have really had to rely on three pointers and outside shooting thusfar.

Hopefully one of the younger players like Bookout will continue to improve, and take his place somewhat, but right now I'm worried
Old 01-07-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - Kansas and Oklahoma have been significantly worse than I expected they would be so far.

Pittsburgh really impressed me last night. Mississippi State has also been impressive - they have a big game tonight vs Florida. The way they played without Mario Austin was impressive.
Old 01-07-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Well it looks like the Sooners are finally going to get the big win they needed.
Old 01-08-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Applejack
I don't know three day... As of yet, even as an OU fan, they have yet to show that they are as good as last year.
Maybe you spoke three hours too soon?
Old 01-08-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Here we go....Bracketology 2003

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
Mississippi State has a short life-epectancy
Am I prophetic or what? (Prophetic with poor spelling)
Old 01-08-03, 06:56 PM

I'm a Pittsburgh native and Pitt fan.

It was good to see the win over ND the other night, but I still think Pitt will hit some bumps in the road in the Big East this year.

I also agree that free-throw shooting woes may be what limits how far Pitt goes. You need to hit big free throws down the stretch to go far in tournament play.
Old 01-08-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Notre Dame or Duke will end up with a one seed. I think Pitt and Oklahoma will get them instead.

I also think UConn will drop, probably to a 3 or 4, now that they aren't playing as many pansies.

Oregon will probably move up, simply because the rest of the Pac 10 with the exception of Arizona is really weak, and they only play Arizona once more. UCLA and Stanford are weak this year.
Old 01-14-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Updated through games of Jan. 12:

While I think the seed is a little low, I actually like this slot for the Terps. Tampa is relatively close and while Florida would have a big home court edge, I like the idea of Maryland getting a rematch with them, especially relatively early in the tournament.
Old 01-14-03, 02:32 PM

I guess this guys just puts teams anywhere since there's a lot of room for error being it's early in the season. He doesn't seem to know a whole lot about college hoops.
Old 01-14-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by zak52
I guess this guys just puts teams anywhere since there's a lot of room for error being it's early in the season. He doesn't seem to know a whole lot about college hoops.

Actually, I think he did a great job last year. He clearly explains that he seeds and places teams based on where they are at now, not where he thinks they will be at in 2 months. This is really the only way that you can do it if you are going to go into detail with who goes to what sites.
Old 01-14-03, 02:59 PM

Yeah looking at some of the RPI rankings I guess he didn't do too bad. It's hard not to look ahead to where some of these teams should end up.
Old 01-14-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by zak52
Yeah looking at some of the RPI rankings I guess he didn't do too bad. It's hard not to look ahead to where some of these teams should end up.

The only one I really questioned was Creighton as a 3. They shouldn't be a 10 or 11 seed which is what their RPI suggests, but they shouldn't be a 3 either. They should probably be a 6 or 7.
Old 01-20-03, 06:15 PM

updated
http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology/index.html#
Old 01-20-03, 06:24 PM

Wake Forest at a 8 seed? I think they should be a little higher. Texas Tech is a 7 seed and they only beat Minnesota. UConn is a 7 seed and they haven't beat any top 50 teams.
Old 01-20-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah Wake probably should be one seed higher. Their weak SOS really hurts them though.
Old 01-20-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I can't believe Cal went from being unseeded in the tournament to a projected #5 seed in one week.

Personally, I don't think the Bears have proven anything yet, because the Pac-10 outside of Arizona is down this year, and the only other two decent teams that Cal has played (Georgia, Kansas) were their two losses.
Old 01-29-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Updated as of January 27

Old 02-04-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Updated as of Feb 3.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology/index.html#

Thoughts....
I have no real complaints at the top. I agree with him about L'ville being a #1. I might flip-flop Kentucky and Texas. As much as I would like to see MD as a 2 seed, I think he got the top 8 teams right. Can't justify saying MD is more deserving than any of those teams at this point. Plus in reality, there is not much difference btwn the 2 & 3 seeds.

I would flip Duke with either Kansas, Georgia or Wake. Duke should be a 4 seed. Those 3 teams are more deserving and there is a big difference btwn being a 3 and a 4 seed.

This season is still wide open. At this point last season, we pretty much knew who the top-5 teams were (and that 4 of those 5 would be #1 seeds): KU, OU, Duke, MD, and Cincy. This year, I think there are 10 teams still capable of getting a #1 seed: all the current #1s and #2s in these brackets plus Maryland and Oklahoma.
Old 02-04-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Oh and if #3 Maryland had to play #14 Holy Cross in Boston, that would be a crock of @#$%.

Nevertheless, it looks like Maryland and Pitt are pretty good bets at this point to head up those Boston pods. There are no other logical top-16 teams that 'fit' there and neither do the teams seeded at 5 & 6 (who could move up) 'fit' there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.