Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats one rule yoy would like to see be added in the NFL?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-06-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would like to see the one point rouge thats in the Canadian Football League.You would need to expand the endzones to 25 yds deep.There is nothing more exciting than a tie game and the offense is to far away for a FG so they punt and If the ball isn't returned via runback or return kick(very entertaining)-your team is awarded one point.
Old 01-06-03, 06:59 PM
Banned

I think they need some rule changes before adding more.
Old 01-06-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
That you can hit guys as had as you want with no chance of a fine.

QB's are fair game.

Kickers That flop get penilized for being *******.
Old 01-06-03, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Scrum for first possession of ball in overtime...
Old 01-06-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mysterX
I think they need some rule changes before adding more.

I was thinking more along the lines of...

The refs have a hard time keeping track of and knowing all the rules that they already have in place.
Old 01-06-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Whats one rule yoy would like to see be added in the NFL?

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
I would like to see the one point rouge thats in the Canadian Football League.You would need to expand the endzones to 25 yds deep.There is nothing more exciting than a tie game and the offense is to far away for a FG so they punt and If the ball isn't returned via runback or return kick(very entertaining)-your team is awarded one point.
I believe a rouge is on FG attempts. The defending team has to return a missed FG out of the endzone or the offensive team gets one point. At least that's how I remember it when we had the Stallions here in Baltimore.
Old 01-06-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Whats one rule yoy would like to see be added in the NFL?

Originally posted by zak52
I believe a rouge is on FG attempts. The defending team has to return a missed FG out of the endzone or the offensive team gets one point. At least that's how I remember it when we had the Stallions here in Baltimore.
I always thought that any kick (FG, punt, kickoff) that isn't returned out of the end zone is a rouge. Of course a missed field goal that sails wide would be one point and that doesn't seem quite right. Any CFLers out there?
Old 01-06-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just one? Well I'll do what I hate a cheat andpost more than one. But I'll do them in order so #1 is my most important

1) See my other thread on reviews. Allow all fumbles/possible fumbles to play out. Never blow a possible fumble dead. And allow a played ruled down on the field (with no whistle) to be reviewed (I can explain more if needed)

2) Less Roughing the QB calls. I understand the need for the rule, but some of them this year are ridiculous. Players in mid-air just cannot stop

3) Taunting. The Redskins most have been called for this like 5 times this year. Apparently doing a dance after every tackle is okay, but saying something like "I'll beat you all day" is a 15 yard penalty. Regulate this. Make it consistent
Old 01-06-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Re: Whats one rule yoy would like to see be added in the NFL?

Originally posted by Jericho
I always thought that any kick (FG, punt, kickoff) that isn't returned out of the end zone is a rouge. Of course a missed field goal that sails wide would be one point and that doesn't seem quite right. Any CFLers out there?
I think your right that it's any kick. Here's the CFL's official site's defintion:

Article 4: Single Point or Rouge
If the ball is kicked into the goal area by an opponent, a rouge is scored (1) when the ball becomes dead in possession of a team in its own goal area or (2) when the ball touches or crosses the deadline, or a side-line-in-goal, and touches the ground, a player, or some object beyond these lines.
AR Team A kicks to Team B. B1 attempting to catch the ball on Team B 3 yard line, fumbles it and is tackled with the ball in possession in the Team B goal area. Ruling - rouge (ball deemed to have been kicked into goal area by Team A).
AR Team A kicks to Team B. B1 catches the ball in the field of play while moving towards own goal line and, in the judgment of the official, the momentum carries B1 into own goal area. Ruling - possession deemed to have been gained in the goal area.
After a rouge the team scored against shall next put the ball into play by a scrimmage as first down at any point between the hash marks on its 35-yard line.
If the single point was scored as the result of an unsuccessful field goal attempt the team scored against may elect to scrimmage the ball at any point between the hash marks on its own 35 yard line or at the previous line of scrimmage.
Note: For the purposes of this Article a drop kick or place kick shall, without exception, be deemed to be a field goal attempt.
Note: If during a kickoff the kicked ball proceeds through the goal area and across the deadline or sideline in goal without being touched there shall be no score and the ball shall be awarded to the receiving team at any point between the hash marks on its own 25-yard line.
Old 01-06-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NO TIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- I know they're rare but still end the game with one team losing and own winning.

no domes dammit,Football is an OUTDOOR sport, if you wanna play inside play hockey or basketball.

-let's have TWO post season brackets one for the 12 playoff teams and one with the other 20 NFL teams,(that such) that way Cincinnati can have something to play for. the winner of the "sucks" brackets is given the top 2 picks in the draft, fi you suck so bad that you can't win against another bad team then don't deserve to draft at all. lol
Old 01-06-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I second the "No ties." Crappy way to end a football game!
Old 01-06-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk God

i dont mind the domes.. but get rid of the turf!

if you cant figure out how to grow grass indoors.. you shouldnt have built a dome!
Old 01-06-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are drop kicks still legal in the CFL but didn't the NFL put a stop to them?
Old 01-06-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dvd-4-life
Are drop kicks still legal in the CFL but didn't the NFL put a stop to them?
as far as I knew, they were still legal, just not used.
Old 01-06-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff

if you cant figure out how to grow grass indoors.. you shouldnt have built a dome!
simple build a big greenhouse, DUH frikin' idiots. I've gotta tell 'em how to do EVERYTHING
Old 01-06-03, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by twikoff
i dont mind the domes.. but get rid of the turf!

And that 'stuff' they play on in Philly, "The Nest of Death".

Many players (baseball and football) hurt on this crap. Was that this year or last year, the Ravens/Eagles cancelled a preseason game cuz the turf was so bad.
Old 01-06-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Cow
And that 'stuff' they play on in Philly, "The Nest of Death".

Many players (baseball and football) hurt on this crap. Was that this year or last year, the Ravens/Eagles cancelled a preseason game cuz the turf was so bad.
Well at least Veteran's Stadium is gone after this year. That's one down
Old 01-06-03, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Jericho
Well at least Veteran's Stadium is gone after this year. That's one down
as long as they don't bring that stuff with them... you never know

PS: Is it gone for both Football and Baseball or just Football??
Old 01-06-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn't add any... Would change that dumb whistle blows the play dead so it can't be reviewed rule... Moronic. I've seen several blown calls since replay came back where the correct call would have been made by replay, if only it were allowed... But no... Some zebra with an itchy trigger lip has to go and screw it up. Stick that whistle in your jock pal.
Old 01-06-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. More domes and turf.
2. Discontinue the playoffs and determine the final game through a complex system of computer rankings, head coaches secretaries', and the opinions of a some of guys that wore black socks to gym class.
3. I don't get to see enough punting. More punting, please.
4. I don't get to see enough celebrating. More celebrating, please.
5. Eliminate the quarterback from any sort of contact whatsoever.
6. Tell me more about Sharpies.
7. More use of the phrase "On any given Sunday..."
8. Also, more use of the phrase "Take it to a whole other level."
9. More heartwarming stories about players overcoming the death of a close relative/friend. After all, they are the only ones that have had close relatives/friends pass away.
10. Move some more teams.
12. Ticket prices really need to be raised.
13. Fines, fines, fines.
14. Blow the draft a little more out of proportion.
15. All Madden, all the time.
16. More commercials.
Old 01-06-03, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

More Melissa.
Old 01-06-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about "added' but "improved on" would be the way the refs use instant replay as a crutch. How many times have you seen a close call, where two refs run up, signal nothing, meet for 20 seconds, then just make a reviewable call knowing that it will get challenged.
Old 01-06-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

College OT rules. In the NFL overtime system once you get near the end zone you're just playing for a FG to win the game. Yeah, FGs are exciting
Old 01-07-03, 01:10 AM
Banned

rules smules school stool pool.... whatever...... This year officiating has been horrendeous.
Old 01-07-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When an eligible offfensive lineman is tackled while the ball is in the air, I think it should be called pass interference on the defense.

Oh, you mean that's already a rule???

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.