Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Do you watch the ESPN talk shows?

Old 01-06-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you watch the ESPN talk shows?

There are 2 now. Pardon the Interruption (PTI), and Around the horn. Here they air at 5 PM and 530 PM. Do you like either of them?
Old 01-06-03, 05:54 PM
Banned

I love PTI and Around the Horn would be ok if they didn't have that stupid host and the same 4 guys all the time.
Old 01-06-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PTI is my favorite tv show right now, and ATH is good as well.
Old 01-06-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PTI is good.. ATH takes some getting used to.
Old 01-06-03, 06:19 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. I love PTI, ATH isn't as good, but still fun to watch. Woddy Paige cracks me up.

I wish they'd get rid of Jay Moronotti. The guy is such an idiot. I remember a few years ago here in Chicago when wasn't buysing kissing Sammy Sosa's roid filled butt, he was proclaiming the greatness of Pat Kennedy and the DePud basketball program and his dominance over the Illini in years to come. That worked out real well for him.
Old 01-06-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like the rest of you, I love watching PTI

I've only seen ATH a couple of times because I'm usually at work when it's on. I think it's ok....the host seemed VERY pro-east coast.
Old 01-06-03, 06:25 PM

I liked how on today's PTI they actually talked about the Miller Lite commercial. I was lmao.

I can not watch ATH though.
Old 01-06-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. I hate listening to people argue with each other in the manner that they do.

If they'd be civil and let the other person finish talking, it would be fine, but that isn't really possible due to the time contraints of the show designs. So instead they just try to talk louder than the other person without letting him finish his thought.
Old 01-06-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to watch PTI, and I find Tony Kornheiser very entertaining. Hell, I enjoy Wilbon's writing as we.. Being from D.C. I've read them for years. But Wilbon's lack of taking a poisiotn on things and a general lack of knowledge in some respects (they freely admit on the show to not knowing several baseball players like Aramis Ramirez and so forth. Tony K admitted to not knowing about Robert Fick on the radio. I just don't get how you miss a .300-30 HR 3B if you're a sports writer).

Around the Horn I find a lot better. Max Kellerman seems more knowledgeable about all sports, even though he's a boxing expert. Some of the buys on the show seem intelligent (Bob Ryan, J.A. Adande), and some look like complete idiots (Woody Paige). Makes you wonder how these guys get hired sometimes. Still I think this show offers more facts and truths than PTI, although they changed the format to it recently.
Old 01-06-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

PTI is one of my favorite shows on television. Tony K doesn't know a ton about sports but he is hysterical. The chemistry btwn him and Wilbon is what makes the show great. It is basically watching 2 funny guys who are sports fans argue with each other for 30 minutes. Great stuff!

ATH gives me a headache. Way too busy. I watched it the first week and couldn't stand it. I actually liked Max when he filled in on PTI during the summer. Oh and Woody Paige is perhaps the biggest idiot in the sportswriting profession. ESPN needs to find a better platform for Bob Ryan because he is great.
Old 01-06-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are both on season pass, both are great

also...did anybody catch the new format on ATH? When did this happen? It must of been today, because the damn Tivo recorded something else with a higher priority at the same time...
Old 01-06-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch PTI on ESPN and the Best Damn Sports Show Period on Fox Sports. Good stuff.
Old 01-06-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, like many others, love PTI. It is great how they play devil's advocate against each other. I enjoy Kornheiser's comments and his willingness to have an opinion and then if he is wrong, he will admit it.
Old 01-07-03, 12:02 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
also...did anybody catch the new format on ATH? When did this happen? It must of been today, because the damn Tivo recorded something else with a higher priority at the same time...
Yeah. This is the first time they've done it like that. I liked it better the old way.
Old 01-07-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What is the new format?
Old 01-07-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Quake1028
What is the new format?
I missed the first 10 minutes or so, but after every round they would eliminate the person with the fewest amount of points. And they have new segments, like "Buy Or Sell," and "Out Of Bounds," topics that can be about anything besides sports I think, and when they got down to the final 2, they had a segment called "The Showdown," and the 2 panelists (sp) got 20 seconds between themselves to discuss a topic, and the winner got 15 seconds of air time.

Way different, hope they switch it back to the way it was!
Old 01-07-03, 03:05 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

They also changed the scoring. Now it's 3pts for a great answer and 2pts for a good answer, wheter it's great or good is decided by Max. Mute button is now -3.
Old 01-07-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jericho
Tony K admitted to not knowing about Robert Fick on the radio. I just don't get how you miss a .300-30 HR 3B if you're a sports writer.

You're blaming Tony K for not knowing who Robert Fick is?

I didn't even know about Fick until jdpatri posted a story about him being signed by the Braves.

And who are you saying is a .300-30 HR 3B? Obviously not Fick or Ramirez, they both hit less than 20 homers and Fick is a 1B.

Or am I misunderstanding your post?

As for PTI, I like it a lot. ATH is annoying at times though.
Old 01-07-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No
Old 01-07-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by the aftermath

You're blaming Tony K for not knowing who Robert Fick is?

I didn't even know about Fick until jdpatri posted a story about him being signed by the Braves.

And who are you saying is a .300-30 HR 3B? Obviously not Fick or Ramirez, they both hit less than 20 homers and Fick is a 1B.

Or am I misunderstanding your post?

As for PTI, I like it a lot. ATH is annoying at times though.
Robert Fick may not be a great player or anything, but he's been in the league a few years and even made the all-star team. I wouldn't expect my neighbor to know him, but a paid sportswriter I would.

As for Aramis Ramirez, in 2001 Aramis Ramirez:

hit .300, hit 34 HRs, had 112 RBI.

Ramirez is young too, still under 25. How could a sports write not hear of him. Do they even follow baseball at all?

Like I said, I do like Tony K. He's written some great stuff and he does a good job on TV. But he's more entertainment than sports in my opinion.
Old 01-07-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do watch Pardon The Interruption quite a lot because many people have said that Kornheiser and Wilbon argue like this at the Washington Post editorial offices.
Old 01-07-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watch PTI religiously. In fact, thanks to TiVo, I've seen every episode since the show went on the air. I don't watch it because they give an in-depth analysis of sports -- these guys are barely as knowledgeable as us on the forum -- but they're entertaining and take a fun Average Joe stance on many issues. Very often they're completely full of crap, and Wilbon's insistance that Boston Public is the best show on television is so absurd it's funny, but they entertain me. I also like many of their repeat guests like DA and Richard Justice and Norm Chad (who fell off the face of the Earth).

As for Around the Horn, I like Kellerman at times, but he's only really knowledgeable about a select group of sports, and unlike TK and Wilbon, he can't acknowledge that he's full of crap. On top of that, the guests are severe homers with incredible coastal biases. I also find the whole God-like format to be pretty annoying, since potentially valid comments are overshadowed by Kellerman's arrogance.

das
Old 01-07-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jericho
Robert Fick may not be a great player or anything, but he's been in the league a few years and even made the all-star team. I wouldn't expect my neighbor to know him, but a paid sportswriter I would.

As for Aramis Ramirez, in 2001 Aramis Ramirez:

hit .300, hit 34 HRs, had 112 RBI.

Ramirez is young too, still under 25. How could a sports write not hear of him. Do they even follow baseball at all?

Like I said, I do like Tony K. He's written some great stuff and he does a good job on TV. But he's more entertainment than sports in my opinion.

I wouldn't hold these things against these guys. I have never heard of these guys either. I used to know everything about baseball, but given how bad the situation with the Orioles is getting and how Selig is ruining MLB, baseball has pretty much fallen off my radar. Also, given that there is no baseball team in DC, it is a lot to expect these guys to know borderline All-Stars (what are there now - 60 or 70 total now each year?).
Old 01-07-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
I wouldn't hold these things against these guys. I have never heard of these guys either. I used to know everything about baseball, but given how bad the situation with the Orioles is getting and how Selig is ruining MLB, baseball has pretty much fallen off my radar. Also, given that there is no baseball team in DC, it is a lot to expect these guys to know borderline All-Stars (what are there now - 60 or 70 total now each year?).
I'd agree that Selig and other factors have really helped diminish MLB. But I also believe that when I watch a show dicussing sports, I'd like to think the guys know more about the game than I do.

I still like PTI as an occasional watch, but the fact that they seem uniformed about many topics, led me to not watch as oftenas I used to. Doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.

Around the Horn can be both smarter and dumber than PTI at the same time. But I have watched it more recently (maybe cause it's just newer and I haven't tired of it), eventhough the new rules on Monday I didn't like.