Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

It's official, Giants got screwed

Old 01-06-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's official, Giants got screwed

Nice job, officials. Turns out the league has admitted that the officials were idiots. Game cannot end on off-setting penalties.

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs0...6/1487933.html

Still hard to feel too bad for a team that gives up a 24 point lead.
Old 01-06-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Already put it in the Giants/Niners thread.
Old 01-06-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, didn't see it. I created a separate post for that very reason, it would get lost in a jumble, many pages in. This seems like a new topic, about the game aftermath, so I think it can stand on its own.

On the other hand, I fully acknowledge and give you points for the first post of this.
Old 01-06-03, 04:24 PM

Wait - Since the only receiver in the area was ineligible, wouldn't that make the pass somewhat uncatchable? And therefore, there could be no pass interference?

This is directly from the NFL.com site:

4. It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

(http://ww2.nfl.com/fans/rules/passinterference.html)
Old 01-06-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chopper
Wait - Since the only receiver in the area was ineligible, wouldn't that make the pass somewhat uncatchable? And therefore, there could be no pass interference?
Actually the receiver who got knocked down was 100% eligible. He reported to the officials before the play. The fact that he's a lineman is irrelevant.
Old 01-06-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chopper •

The receiver who was interfered with was eligible. It was another guy (65 if memory serves -- who knows the names of those guys ) who was ineligible.

das
Old 01-06-03, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Bushdog
Actually the receiver who got knocked down was 100% eligible. He reported to the officials before the play. The fact that he's a lineman is irrelevant.
Oops. Didn't see that he reported as eligible. Nevermind.
Old 01-06-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I simply look at this way...the Giants could have avoided all of this if:

1) Shockey could catch a pass he normally catches
2) They double or triple teamed Terrell Owens
3) They played defense on one drive in the 4th Q
4) They had not retaliated against Terrell Owens on 2 consecutive occasions
5) Bryant had made his earlier FG attempt
or
6) They had not botched their snap/hold

Had one of these 6 things happened (although #4 really just would have given them better field position on the final drive - they could have just as easily messed up a shorter FG att), they would not have had to worry about pass interference rules and such.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-06-03 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I created a separate post for that very reason, it would get lost in a jumble, many pages in. This seems like a new topic, about the game aftermath, so I think it can stand on its own.

I just figured this was another World Series whining thread.

My favorite part of the radio coverage (I was out yesterday) was the announcer going.. "Never in the history of the playoffs has a team been able to come back from 24 points down. Well... The Bills did it from 32 points against the Oilers, but not 24."

Chopper: Reading the NFL statement, the receiver being interfered with was an eligible reciever (Rich Seubert). It was the left guard, Tam Hopkins, who was illegally downfield.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 01-06-03 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
. . .
Had one of these 6 things happened (although #4 really just would have given them better field position on the final drive - they could have just as easily messed up a shorter FG att), they would not have had to worry about pass interference rules and such.
True to a point. They had their chances to win.

On the other hand, given the fact is they played well enough for the game to come down to that 1 play (which they screwed up royally) however they should have been afforded a redo.

I won't be crying if the Jets lose by getting screwed on a single play (well, I'll weep like a little girl in private) because a team ought to decisively beat their opponent. However, the rules should be called correctly. When they are called improperly, the officials end up ****ing up the game, which should be decided on the field.
Old 01-06-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
. . .
My favorite part of the radio coverage (I was out yesterday) was the announcer going.. "Never in the history of the playoffs has a team been able to come back from 24 points down. Well... The Bills did it from 32 points against the Oilers, but not 24."
. . .
What an idiot.
Old 01-06-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Red Dog •
I simply look at this way...the Giants could have avoided all of this if:

I look at things that way with one addition: I still fault the officials when they blow an important call. I don't think the losing team always has reason to bitch, since a team good enough to win the game really shouldn't be in a position where one call loses it for them; however, that doesn't relieve the official for blowing the call. I'm pretty forgiving of an official who tries to make a good call and just misses it (play is too fast, obscured view, whatever). But when they screw up a rule (say they backed a team up 20 yards for a false start or something) or overrule someone who had a better view (and are wrong), blame falls squarely on their shoulders.

I'm all for forgiving human error, but if you're a playoff official in an NFL game, dammit, you need to at least know what the rules are even if you miss a penalty here and there.

das
Old 01-06-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Plus does anyone here really believe that Bryant could hit a 41-yard FG in that situation?
Old 01-06-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Red Dog •
Plus does anyone here really believe that Bryant could hit a 41-yard FG in that situation?

Got a point there.

das
Old 01-06-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

err. . . .

Lock this baby up. . .nothing to see here, move along

Old 01-06-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

err. . . .

Lock this baby up. . .nothing to see here, move along

Old 01-06-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, the week before, he hit one from 39 to beat the Eagles in OT.

so, yes.
Old 01-06-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd feel more sorry for the Giants if it weren't for all of the fighting at the end.
Old 01-06-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Other official news: Jeremy Shockey is a little bitch who can't take it when the shoe is on the other foot.
Old 01-06-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nonsense. The Giants had plenty of opportunity... The only one who screwed the Giants is the Giants. They had their chances. Next time, before you run your smack and start the celebration, finish the game. This means you Shockey and Strahan.

And, If you want to complain about the bad calls, there was certainly more than one in this mess... How about Ahmed Plummer's almost INT on the last Giants drive that the zebras chose to ignore? Or Cedrick Wilson's catch that the refs blew dead before there was a chance for the G-Men to review it... Barlow's TD that was botched before replay turned it around... Etc... So, in closing, suck it up and don't choke next time. The G-Men fell completely apart in every phase of the game.

On to Tampa... Go Niners.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 01-06-03 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago

And, If you want to complain about the bad calls, there was certainly more than one in this mess... How about Ahmed Plummer's almost INT on the last Giants drive that the zebras chose to ignore?
The one where the ball was coming out and clearly hit the ground while he wasn't in full control of it, right?
Old 01-06-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by El Scorcho
The one where the ball was coming out and clearly hit the ground while he wasn't in full control of it, right?
Correct... As I said, Plummer's almost INT. But that's not the point. Under two minutes should be an automatic replay from above, which did not happen. In a game of this magnitude, that is a blown judgement call.
Old 01-06-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Correct... As I said, Plummer's almost INT. But that's not the point. Under two minutes should be an automatic replay from above, which did not happen. In a game of this magnitude, that is a blown judgement call.
Homer homer homer!!!

I'm certianly not a Giant fan, but I'm a fan of the rules.

There was nothing to review because it was clear that it was not a catch. What is there to review?

And a blown judgement call? Quite the exaggeration.

Giants got screwed on that call, period. They ought to have had another shot to try to win the game. That said, I am not claiming the Niners are unworthy of the win. They won it, simple as that. It counts in the record books, they advance and the Giants play golf. On the other hand, the Giants were robbed of an oppurtunity.
Old 01-06-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yes, the kicker was clearly robbed of the opportunity to hit some fan in the 3rd row off the 10 yard line.
Old 01-06-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El Scorcho
yes, the kicker was clearly robbed of the opportunity to hit some fan in the 3rd row off the 10 yard line.
See a handful of posts above, I'm not claiming that shanker would put it through the uprights. Just saying they ought of had the chance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.