Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Chris Leak officially a Gator

Old 01-06-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chris Leak officially a Gator

ESPN.Com
Old 01-06-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quake, I think that your quote is from Mark Stoops, the DB coach of the canes. Mike Stoops is the def. coordinator at OU. Sorry, but it has been bothering me.
Old 01-06-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Duly noted and has been corrected.
Old 01-06-03, 03:50 PM

This is why I always enjoy seeing the Florida teams fail...

They have an advantage over so many schools when it comes to recruiting.

I was hoping Leak would pick Iowa and go to the Big Ten but why would anyone want to go to cornfields and tractor pulls over beaches, babes and warm weather?
Old 01-06-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not officially until he signs that letter of intent. (yeah, yeah, yeah)

And if FL teams have this advantage, why were they not very good until the 80s?
Old 01-06-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At least we (Tennessee) will get to sack his whining a$$.
Old 01-06-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is he related to Dick Trickle?
Old 01-06-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Is he related to Dick Trickle?
Old 01-07-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whatever.....Florida will still suck...
Old 01-08-03, 02:40 AM

I think Leak went to Florida because with Grossman leaving he'll get to play right away; maybe they promised he could play as a freshman. Any school with a good qb in place would want to redshirt him.
Old 01-08-03, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by The Zizz
I think Leak went to Florida because with Grossman leaving he'll get to play right away; maybe they promised he could play as a freshman. Any school with a good qb in place would want to redshirt him.
With Banks a senior, he woulda played right away at Iowa.

And Iowa was recruiting him heavily too.
Old 01-08-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Ranger02
With Banks a senior, he woulda played right away at Iowa.

And Iowa was recruiting him heavily too.
despite their rough season.. florida is far and away a much more prestigous place for him to play if he wants national exposure and a good shot at going pro
iowa had a good season.. but who knows how many decades it will be, before they have another one
Old 01-08-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plus the kid lives in the South, so not only is it closer to home, but he won't have to play in the Iowa cold.
Old 01-08-03, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by clemente
Plus the kid lives in the South, so not only is it closer to home, but he won't have to play in the Iowa cold.
North Carolina can get quite cold... I think it wouldn't be anything new for him.

Guess he doesn't have the balls to play real football in the cold.

EDIT:
To add after that last sentence

Last edited by Ranger02; 01-08-03 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One reason Leak went to Florida is because he wasn't too pleased with his brother not getting to play much at all. I think he played 2 seies in the Georgia game and was pulled.

I assume that's what YellowLedbetter is referring to.
Old 01-09-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gromit
One reason Leak went to Florida is because he wasn't too pleased with his brother not getting to play much at all. I think he played 2 seies in the Georgia game and was pulled.

I assume that's what YellowLedbetter is referring to.
Actually, according to the column he's been writing for ESPN.com, it was because they lied to his brother, and he couldn't go there under those circumstances.

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/diary9leak.html

Ever since I can remember, I always dreamed of playing for Tennessee. I pictured myself parading with my teammates through the Vol Walk and splitting the "T" like the hundreds of Vols before me.

But that dream is dead. I've dropped Tennessee from my list.

The reason is trust. Last spring, my brother C.J., fully recovered from his knee injury, became the strongest quarterback in UT history by setting the bench press record at 405 lbs. At the time, Coach Fulmer told C.J., as well as the rest of my family, that he wasn't surprised at C.J.'s progress, for he was the hardest working player he had ever coached.

But even after such praise, Coach Fulmer never gave C.J. the opportunity he promised him when he transferred to Tennessee -- a legitimate chance to start. Because of this and everything else that happened with my brother this past season, deep in my heart, I could never trust what the Tennessee coaches tell me. So I'm finished with the Vols.

I know some people will criticize my decision, but I have to do what's best for me. This wasn't easy. Tennessee was the place everyone thought I would go to. Tennessee was the place I thought I would go. But it just doesn't feel right. So I'm putting the Vols behind me and moving on.
Old 01-09-03, 01:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

They did promise him he could play as a frosh. He said he based his decision on the fact one team promised him early pt in one of the articles I read.

It should be interesting down there since they brought in Dickey last year and they allready have a commit in Justin Midgett this year. Someone isn't going to be happy.
Old 01-09-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Leak's brother can not move the ball he may be a workout wizard in the weight room and on the practice field. The kid cannot play effectively. I hope Tennessee's defense hits him and hits him and hits him. Chris Leak is overhyped and overrated if he is anything like his brother.
Old 01-09-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Actually, according to the column he's been writing for ESPN.com, it was because they lied to his brother, and he couldn't go there under those circumstances.

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/diary9leak.html
I had not read the ESPN diary, but that's prety much what I was referring to.

Maybe it's just internet rumors, but this isn't the first time I've heard of Fulmer's promises not being fulfilled.
Old 01-09-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know what anyone said to C.J. Leak. I think that a look at recent history will show that people come to Tennessee to compete for a starting position, and it doesn't always work out. A.J. Suggs transferred to Georgia Tech... and what was the guys name who transferred to Texas A&M, and started for them in '98.

When Peyton Manning was a freshman, and the starting quarterback went down, they moved to the second string (Todd Helton) and then on to the two freshman when that didn't go so well.

Every team at every level has to do what it can to win games in the situation presented. C.J. Leak wasn't the answer this year.

Anyway, I don't hear C.J. Leak complaining about not getting a legitmate chance to start. The bottom line is I am glad Little Leak went somewhere else, Tennessee has enough bad attitude on its team right now.
Old 01-09-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by YellowLedbetter
IA.J. Suggs transferred to Georgia Tech... and what was the guys name who transferred to Texas A&M, and started for them in '98.
Brandon Stewart he beat Kansas State in 98 and helped to pave the way for UT not to play them and win the National Championship. I think K-State could have given UT a run for their money.
Old 01-10-03, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by MrX
They did promise him he could play as a frosh. He said he based his decision on the fact one team promised him early pt in one of the articles I read.

It should be interesting down there since they brought in Dickey last year and they allready have a commit in Justin Midgett this year. Someone isn't going to be happy.
He may feel that he's learned from his brother not to look at schools that aren't truthful/break promises to recruits like what was supposed to have happened to his brother as a Vol.

However, I think he'll learn that those schools that make "promises" to recruits are schools that will break them. In this day and age, it's hard for coaches to make any sorts of "promises" to recruits no matter how good they might be. With kids leaving earlier, etc. they have to stockpile themselves, build teams that can sustain early graduations of key performers and therefore they are less likely to build a whole team around a single individual.

Iowa was recruiting Leak rather hard after Leak came to them in the middle of the year, but I think Ferentz is someone that was careful not to "promise" anything to him. Jon Beutjer left the team and transfered to Illinois right before the beginning of last season because he wasn't going to start (McCann started last year instead). Beutjer'll claim that it was because of an off-the-field incident between him and teammate/roommate Sam Aiello over a cable bill, but he waited to announce he was transfering until the day after McCann was announced as the starter.

Perhaps Leak felt that with the unexpected Beutjer departure then, and Banks leaving this year, there would be a good hole to fill where he could start immediately and Ferentz would tell him the job was his. But Ferentz probably said something like, "Nathan Chandler is who we're looking at starting next year in our current plans as he was backup this year, but if you play the way we'd expect you to, I expect you can have a shot at unseating him".

With Grossman just declaring for the draft, I'm guessing that Leak felt that Zook would be more interested in letting him start this coming year to fill an immediate need that the other schools didn't have. Up until a week or so ago Florida (and the other QBs already there) would have planned having Grossman starting next year and would appear to be more of the mind of having Leak stepping in immediately to replace him.

Perhaps Leak was also seeing:
a) Iowa perhaps telling another recruit, Tommy Zbikowski that he might get a shot at QB too, given that Nebraska is telling TZ that he might play QB and not just DB like other schools are asking him to play.
b) the cold weather in Iowa at the time of his visit, and its distance away from home.

Oh well, hope he does OK, though part of me wanted him to go to Iowa, part of me is glad that he didn't if he was going to have an attitude about him the way that Dan McGwire (Mark McGwire's brother) did, who felt he was "owed" the starting position when he got there.

Last edited by DVDealer; 01-10-03 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-10-03, 03:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVDealer
a) Iowa perhaps telling another recruit, Tommy Zbikowski that he might get a shot at QB too, given that Nebraska is telling TZ that he might play QB and not just DB like other schools are asking him to play.
I think Nebraska has allready told Zbikowski he'll be given the chance to earn the starting QB job there next year. Frentz has told him he can play whatever he wants. If he wants to play QB he'd be better off going to Nebraska and running an option heavy offense like they do. He's the prototype QB there, a great athlete with average passing ability.
Old 01-10-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, if Chris Leak has been promised anything, it is a joke. Why would any coach promise an incoming freshman(or transfer) anything other than a chance to compete. Otherwise, players wouldn't come there. Ingle Martin is the next in line at quarterback, right? He was highly recruited (at quarterback, certainly not punter...) If he doesn't get a shot, that speaks volumes to the next classes of recruits, i.e. you'll get your shot only if no one else comes along.
Old 01-10-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by lwhy?
Brandon Stewart he beat Kansas State in 98 and helped to pave the way for UT not to play them and win the National Championship. I think K-State could have given UT a run for their money.
Yes, Brandon Stewart. I remembered that he and Texas A&M helped put Tennessee in the Fiesta bowl, I just couldn't remember his name off the top of my head.

As I remember, K-State was looking very strong, and may have edged out Tennessee in the BCS numbers for whatever reason, if they had gone undefeated.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.